Thepprasit Road powers up

Rimmer

Thepprasit Road powers up

The Provincial Electricity Authority is replacing high-voltage wires on Thepprasit Road to meet the area’s increased demand for power.

PATTAYA:-- The Provincial Electricity Authority replaced high-voltage wires on Thep­prasit Road to meet the area’s increased demand for power.

Electrician Rungsak Pho­sawad led the eight-man work crew that strung new line through Jomtien Beach Oct. 21.

The operation required new 20-meter-tall poles to replace the 12-meter posts used previously. Bare cable was replaced with 185 Sac line strung over three kilometers and 47 poles.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/thepprasit-road-powers-153981

PATTAYA MAIL 2016-11-04

6 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Too bad they didn't take the opportunity to put the wires underground.

Yes... " The operation required new 20-meter-tall poles to replace the 12-meter posts used previously. Bare cable was replaced with 185 Sac line strung over three kilometers and 47 poles. " such a step forward in environmental protection and public safety..

6 hours ago, mcfish said:

You can't be seriouse. They can't even mange to keep foot paths pot hole free and level

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

If the wires were underground they might learn to keep the surface in better condition.

When you put the cable underground every time that there is a malfunction you have to dig.

Better keep it the way it is ...  It's a part of the Thai charm, for me at least. What's next? stopping the street food sellars? Make everything as clinical clean as in western countries? No thank you, too boring. Jmo.

16 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Too bad they didn't take the opportunity to put the wires underground.

No, if they did that then our ace construction engineers, after performing a long series of complex calculations, would reveal that poles are cheaper and ask why not poles. In answer the mighty TVF Tea Money Chorus would chant the chants and the Brown Envelope Bots would buzz, each Bot receiving +1 point in forum cred. I'm surprised they aren't out already as everybody knows that there can't really be any increased need for power.

Our ace urban planners would appreciate the long overdue deference to their highly sensitive aesthetic tastes yet decry the greater traffic disruption, claim that the cable tunnels will flood (cue submarine jokes),  and sneer that anyone would have known to bury them underground in the first place.

On 11/5/2016 at 6:15 AM, Jack Mountain said:

When you put the cable underground every time that there is a malfunction you have to dig.

Better keep it the way it is ...  It's a part of the Thai charm, for me at least. What's next? stopping the street food sellars? Make everything as clinical clean as in western countries? No thank you, too boring. Jmo.

Malfunction? Properly installed there should be none to little malfunction. My parents house built 65 years ago in an area where cables are underground had in the 20 years I lived there never required digging up the road to fix the cables. And I cannot recall any power cuts/failures either. But vehicles smashing into poles, trees growing between the cables, high winds, rain, and anything else you can throw at exposed hung above your head cables are ALWAYS requiring maintenance. Plus power cuts are a regular occurrence varying from a split second to hours, sometimes all day long.

It is not making it clinically clean it is making it safe and efficient. If that is too boring for you, please return to the 19th century. Many of us are waiting for Thailand to enter the 21st.

On 05/11/2016 at 6:15 AM, Jack Mountain said:

Not normally. A couple of years ago they laid underground fibre optic cable throughout downtown Pattaya without digging it up.

On 05/11/2016 at 6:15 AM, Jack Mountain said:

Better keep it the way it is ...  It's a part of the Thai charm, for me at least.

I dont find it at all charming. Just ugly and offensive. But that applies to a lot of things in Thailand.

Most of what is done here is dictated by price, and these cables are no exception.

On 11/5/2016 at 5:40 AM, Keesters said:

If the wires were underground they might learn to keep the surface in better condition.

It's impossible to put them underground. There are too many companies pulling wires all over town. Business would grind to a halt... and be careful what you wish for - the public would have to cover the extra costs too. The wires are unsightly, dangerous, but generally they work and it's cheap.

Maybe underground wires are still 50 years in the future.

12 hours ago, tropo said:

It's impossible to put them underground. There are too many companies pulling wires all over town. Business would grind to a halt... and be careful what you wish for - the public would have to cover the extra costs too. The wires are unsightly, dangerous, but generally they work and it's cheap.

Maybe underground wires are still 50 years in the future.

Many countries manage to do it because it is safe, efficient and cost effective. If Thailand doesn't do it for 50 years then they will be at least 100 years behind.

1 hour ago, Keesters said:

Many countries manage to do it because it is safe, efficient and cost effective. If Thailand doesn't do it for 50 years then they will be at least 100 years behind.

They're not even close to considering it. Maybe it will never happen, ever.

Lack of drainage and potholed roads are a bigger immediate concern.

Just had all the underground cabling round the mooban pool dug up and replaced when the iron lampposts they served became live.  The first cabling/conduit was of a poor specification.  Most Thai 'electricians' consider the cost first; safety second.

On 11/12/2016 at 7:17 AM, tropo said:

They're not even close to considering it. Maybe it will never happen, ever.

Lack of drainage and potholed roads are a bigger immediate concern.

Considering it...may have even done it

and many more links too numerous to list them all.

1 hour ago, Keesters said:

Considering it...may have even done it

and many more links too numerous to list them all.

Putting a few key areas underground may happen, but let me know when all cables in Pattaya are underground. I won't live that long.

First they need to fix drainage, and that's decades of work. In the meanwhile, despite how ugly they are, I prefer the overhead system. Any Internet company can quickly fix or pull cables to where I live and I'd prefer them dry than underwater, below ground.

20 hours ago, tropo said:

Putting a few key areas underground may happen, but let me know when all cables in Pattaya are underground. I won't live that long.

First they need to fix drainage, and that's decades of work. In the meanwhile, despite how ugly they are, I prefer the overhead system. Any Internet company can quickly fix or pull cables to where I live and I'd prefer them dry than underwater, below ground.

But it is a start. The trend is set. It is happening no matter what you say about it not. Cables would not be underwater when they are laid properly. The Thais will learn how to do it given time. It is the future.

28 minutes ago, Keesters said:

Cables would not be underwater when they are laid properly. The Thais will learn how to do it given time. It is the future.

Did they not lay them properly years ago on flooding Beach Rd.?

Funny how we ignore Thai works or insist they'll fail, but at least you did say they "will learn." 

57 minutes ago, Keesters said:

But it is a start. The trend is set. It is happening no matter what you say about it not. Cables would not be underwater when they are laid properly. The Thais will learn how to do it given time. It is the future.

What's the argument here? I did say it may happen one day, but that's going to be far in the future. I certainly hope it won't happen in my lifetime because they would have to dig up every single road in Pattaya, and right now most "roads" are not really roads at all, but tracks which become drainage channels, rivers or swamps in heavy rain.

On 11/14/2016 at 10:09 AM, tropo said:

What's the argument here? I did say it may happen one day, but that's going to be far in the future. I certainly hope it won't happen in my lifetime because they would have to dig up every single road in Pattaya, and right now most "roads" are not really roads at all, but tracks which become drainage channels, rivers or swamps in heavy rain.

You have said it will be far in the future mentioning 50 years. You are wrong it is happening now. Accept it.

On 11/14/2016 at 9:35 AM, JSixpack said:

Did they not lay them properly years ago on flooding Beach Rd.?

Funny how we ignore Thai works or insist they'll fail, but at least you did say they "will learn." 

They learnt how to hang them up in the air they'll learn/have learned how to put them underground. I have never said any of it will fail @tropo said that.

6 minutes ago, Keesters said:

They learnt how to hang them up in the air they'll learn/have learned how to put them underground. I have never said any of it will fail @tropo said that.

You seem to have entirely missed my point that they already have learned and are well able if they decide to do it at Jomtien as they did on Pattaya's Beach Rd. Me, I don't care much one way or the other. I'm quite used to the spaghetti and sometimes marvel at it. On the other hand, it can pose some danger and leads to maintenance delays that can be a bit annoying.

41 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

You seem to have entirely missed my point that they already have learned and are well able if they decide to do it at Jomtien as they did on Pattaya's Beach Rd. Me, I don't care much one way or the other. I'm quite used to the spaghetti and sometimes marvel at it. On the other hand, it can pose some danger and leads to maintenance delays that can be a bit annoying.

LOL> like high buses and trucks cutting and dragging wires running across the road. Some high trucks have a guy sitting on top with a pole pushing low hanging wires up as they come through.

54 minutes ago, Keesters said:

Did Tropo say they would fail? I seem to remember him saying it would take a loooooong time.

If success is putting all of Pattaya's wires underground across the whole city, then Tropo thinks it's never going to happen and if it does, none of us will be around to witness it, even your children.

I'd rather they don't dig up every road in town while I'm alive. I'm quite OK with the spaghetti system.:smile:

1 hour ago, JSixpack said:

You asked a question about beach road that I could not answer. If you knew the answer why make it a question.

Will learn/have learnt....semantics...they are doing it and hopefully it works. 

30 minutes ago, tropo said:

Did Tropo say they would fail? I seem to remember him saying it would take a loooooong time.

If success is putting all of Pattaya's wires underground across the whole city, then Tropo thinks it's never going to happen and if it does, none of us will be around to witness it, even your children.

I'd rather they don't dig up every road in town while I'm alive. I'm quite OK with the spaghetti system.:smile:

Tropo said

On 11/13/2016 at 0:08 PM, tropo said:

Any Internet company can quickly fix or pull cables to where I live and I'd prefer them dry than underwater, below ground.

I believe cables underwater would count a fail.

I have not stated anything about how long it will take to cover whole city or anything about success just that it has started here and in other Thai cities a fact that you have tried to deny.

36 minutes ago, tropo said:

LOL> like high buses and trucks cutting and dragging wires running across the road. Some high trucks have a guy sitting on top with a pole pushing low hanging wires up as they come through.

Another reason to put them out of harms way underground.

I take it then that no one has seen the pics of the cable fire that occurred at appx 0330 hrs down Nern Plawb wan on the morning of the 14th of this month, was an amazing site, and no doubt plenty of people and businesses  without power, telecoms or internet for quite a while :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Until these muppets start charging for use of the poles the same dangerous over-crowded situation will arise again and again 

You don't have this overhead wire problem in the West because vendors have to pay to use the pole, and if the customer stops paying them they have an incentive to remove the unused wires.  Unfortunately the squatter mentality is alive and well here so there will just be more of the same in the future 

The only advantage of underground cabling is that every Somchi with a ladder can't add their wires to the mess  

Archived