I've been conned by a Westerner.. need advice please

Neeeko

12 hours ago, Neeeko said:

On the paper work was only my name, it didn't mention I was direct etc. I think if I made a case of it it would cost more than the money I would get back so not worth it.

I just want to know now, if I think they may be doing something illegal with visa, work permit etc. Could I contact immigration and what should I say? I could contact the police also but don't know what they could do...

Unfortunately I doubt if immigration would be interested and I`m sure immigration won`t give you any information if you made inquiries directly to them by yourself.

Your options are limited. If when you signed the papers whatever they were, all above board and believe you have a strong case against them, then your only option is a hire a lawyer who can make inquiries with immigration on your behalf and sue these people for the return of your money including legal expenses, interest, for stress and inconvenience and any other expenses incurred. This would mean you having to first invest money into this case in the hope you will win and retrieve your money back later. 

You should take into consideration that your legal expenses could be huge as legal cases can drag on for years in Thailand and now it`s up to you to decide if you think it`s worth the effort or not.

Edited by cyberfarang

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Berkshire said:

I've been in Thailand 10+ years and have never been conned the way the OP has.  If you are "unable to trust people in a country," it's more about you.  It has nothing to do with the country. 

I think you are very wrong there. You only need to open your eyes here to see an endless stream of reports of scamming and fraud and corruption of all types. And that's only what gets reported.

I also have never been conned here, but that doesnt mean I feel at all inclined to trust anyone here, of any nationality.

4 hours ago, blackcab said:

Trust doesn't replace due diligence.

If it did, I wouldn't have been employed to manage other people's businesses.

I dont think that any amount of due diligence would have helped the OP in this instance. The only thing that would have helped him would have been not to get involved at all in the first place.

First way.. Legal way.. Requires quite a bit of time effort and money. You don't seem to have lots of the latter so don't bother. 

Second way.. half legal way.. you don't seem to have connections otherwise you would have the money already. This way it can put you in prison so don't do it. 

Third way.. Illegal way.. Will definitely put you in jail so forget it. 

Fourth way.. Keep asking.. You already know that it won't work. 

I don't understand how he was able to close the company without you if you were a co-owner. 

He shouldn't be able to do that without you. If he still managed to do it then he did something illegal. Report it then. 

I've been in Thailand 10+ years and have never been conned the way the OP has.  If you are "unable to trust people in a country," it's more about you.  It has nothing to do with the country. 

Balls.
People take what they believe they can get away with. In a country with robust law enforcement people are hesitant & think twice.
It's an indictment of the country, not the person.

Post in breach of Forum Rules removed:
18) You will not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or web/Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses in posts or signatures. Web addresses to personal non-commercial sites sites/blogs, or Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses, may be posted in a member's profile page.

The company you where a shareholder of cannot be closed without you signing for it, which means they either committed fraud by removing you without your knowledge and approval from the company or they closed down the company in a fraudulent way (forging your signature). You can go to a lawyer and threaten them with a fraud case and see what happens. If they dont respond open a fraud case against him and any other shareholder and director of the closed company. You may in the end not get your B 200 k out but at least you will have the satisfaction of ripping the b....s off this crook. 

Disregard all suggestions to take some sort of strong arm tactics or steal some of the assets of the new company. Both approaches will result in significantly more hassle then the loss of your investment.

I have no idea what having your name on the paperwork actually means but if your money was an investment, then, like all investments, you can either win or lose. The company could have either taken formal steps to dissolve or more likely, simply let it be deregistered by the state for inactivity. In most cases, there will be little if any money to be distributed to shareholders upon dissolutions. Assets are generally seized by business creditors.

The fact that a new company was set up conducting the same business by the same individuals is probably not going to give you any leverage. Threatening to report them to immigration or other governmental agencies will not get you any money and may in fact backfire on you. The reasons are that Thailand has very strict rules regarding defamation while threatening criminal charges in order to obtain repayment of an investment may trigger extiortion charges against you.

As stated by others, walk away, learn your lesson and be much more cautious about investments here in Thailand, in future.

14 hours ago, KittenKong said:

When I have dealings with people I have expected them to be honest and fair, as I am. Elsewhere in the world I have rarely been disappointed in 40+ years of working life. Here it is a completely different story, but I still dont think my expectations are faulty.

Being unable to trust people in a country is an appalling indictment of that country, regardless of where it is.

The Country has absolutely nothing to do with it. Do you really have THAT kind of thinking? SOME people are the problem.

Hey - - sorry for your loss - I think the biggest issue here is that you were young and trusting and hopeful. It has nothing to do with country.

I think many of us when young made the same mistake, losing money relying on the honesty of others. I know I did. I had invested my money with a commodities investor and was making a fortune on paper and it was fun too... they were skilled at having you re-invest until one day, they closed the doors. The fact that the guy spent a little bit of time in jail was not important. I lost money, about the same amount as you.

But, rather than spend your energy in revenge, channel that energy into making more money. It is not likely to come back and the time you spend in acrimony will be better spent doing positive things. Trust me, I understand your anger, but get over it and move on... 

Good luck in future endeavors.

22 hours ago, sirmud63 said:

walk away . its only going to be more dead money down the road if you try to pursue it .

the above advice is exactly correct, there is no "small claims court" here and filing a lawsuit could very well be more than what you will recover.

The very least you would do in any business arrangement, is ensure you are signatory to any bank accounts.

It sounds like some level of fraud, breech of contract, unethical business dealings, has been committed, I dont get the argument that its somehow Thailand's fault. Is it Thailand's fault if if you break other laws ?

23 hours ago, mcfish said:

Send a couple of moto taxi guys to give him a good beating then ask him again.. Rinse n repeat..

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Definitely, there will then be no comeback from the Thais and their 6-1 odds, but watch the western guy does not do the same back to you.

Before you do anything like that, change your address.

22 hours ago, Neeeko said:

On the paper work was only my name, it didn't mention I was direct etc. I think if I made a case of it it would cost more than the money I would get back so not worth it.

I just want to know now, if I think they may be doing something illegal with visa, work permit etc. Could I contact immigration and what should I say? I could contact the police also but don't know what they could do...

I wouldn't recommend the police route. They wouldn't be interested unless a brown envelope was found in their postbox, and then the other party would probably offer a thicker envelope!

22 hours ago, scorecard said:

I hope you ultimately get some of your money back.

Please be careful of making direct accusations unless you can provide direct irrefutable evidence of wrongdoing .

If you go to the police or to Immigration make sure your have the above evidence. Or give the same folks specific points to their follow up with choose your accusatory words carefully: 'I suspect', 'perhaps they don't have correct documents' etc.

And be careful you don't open yourself to danger. A healthy long life is more important than 200,000Baht.

Doesn't help but years back I suddenly couldn't find my expensive camera in Bkk, I searched everywhere but couldn't be found.

A few weeks later my best buddies girlfriend appeared with the camera. Turns out my buddy gave her the camera with strict instructions to sell it immediately, but she liked it, she kept it, she had no idea hr bf had stolen it.

My buddy then confessed he had stolen it from my room, I asked him why, his response 'I was very short of cash and I wanted to make my gf happy'. He refused to take it back from his gf and give it back to me. 

No doubt this stuff happens regularly everywhere but it doesn't mean it's OK.

End of friendship.

Is that all? You mean you never......... Oh never mind.

23 hours ago, mcfish said:

Send a couple of moto taxi guys to give him a good beating then ask him again.. Rinse n repeat..

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

I can appreciate such an emotional reaction but I'd question advising to do something that would land this younger lad in prison with a felony conviction

14 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Move on, less than 6000$ not even worth trying getting it back unless you can get a lawyer that as mentioned before will take a % of the recovered money but I doubt they could be bothered for such a small amount.

For many of us here, 2 month money worth of living here is what you lost but I am sure some spend much more than that.

Yes you been shafted, one lay in the bed as you made it, as the old saying goes.

The vast majority spend way less than that.

180,000,000 Americans earn some two thirds of it, with the median US income of around USD 25,000.

Over 80% of Americans could not scrape USD 6,000 together in cash in an emergency, they are all paying off the debt load.

Jus' sayin'.

22 hours ago, scorecard said:

I hope you ultimately get some of your money back.

Please be careful of making direct accusations unless you can provide direct irrefutable evidence of wrongdoing .

If you go to the police or to Immigration make sure your have the above evidence. Or give the same folks specific points to their follow up with choose your accusatory words carefully: 'I suspect', 'perhaps they don't have correct documents' etc.

And be careful you don't open yourself to danger. A healthy long life is more important than 200,000Baht.

Doesn't help but years back I suddenly couldn't find my expensive camera in Bkk, I searched everywhere but couldn't be found.

A few weeks later my best buddies girlfriend appeared with the camera. Turns out my buddy gave her the camera with strict instructions to sell it immediately, but she liked it, she kept it, she had no idea hr bf had stolen it.

My buddy then confessed he had stolen it from my room, I asked him why, his response 'I was very short of cash and I wanted to make my gf happy'. He refused to take it back from his gf and give it back to me. 

No doubt this stuff happens regularly everywhere but it doesn't mean it's OK.

End of friendship.

How long did they keep your buddy in the hospital after you thrashed him like a misbehaving soi dog ?

23 hours ago, Neeeko said:

Going to immigration or the police will accomplish nothing other than its nuisance value of your former partners having to pay a modest bribe.  If the so called paper work did not provide you any protection as a director and signatory, you have no legal case.  You either pay someone to drop by and bit h slap them around, and live with the fact that two can play that game, or you suppress your ego and chalk it up to a lesson learned.  I don't buy the line of thinking that goes "never invest what you can't lose" or "never ever trust a Thai".  There are ways to rope down the nicest people money can buy if you are smart about it and have a good lawyer.  However, without exception never ever give a Thai (or a foreigner) an unsecured loan .... which is what you did.  Your mistake was assuming the paperwork somehow secured your loan/investment.

Sorry you got taken.  I know the Mafia, motorcycle route etc. etc.  Your best advise is to stay away from farangs.  99.9% here in Thailand seem to be psychotic, delusional losers.  Try an experiment minimize your socializing and farang social circle for a year.  Your quality of life will improve, for sure.  Just try it and see...

7 minutes ago, 12DrinkMore said:

Why are you curious?

Did it ding a bell?????

Maybe if people knew the location, it might ding someone's bell.

I know someone who moved South to be in that game, and, to be honest, although he appears a nice guy, it is the type of thing he would do . He is a tough guy, and he plays on that, as not many people would challenge him, for fear of violence. 

....seems hard to believe you would hand over 200,000 baht with no written agreement or paperwork.....

...then just disappear.....

...then come back and expect something...anything.....

...makes no sense....

...maybe you are not telling us 'The Whole Story'.......