greatest film

meatboy

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As "giddyup" sais it's already been done recently. But sometimes it doesn't hurt to start afresh as long pages of poste tend to get boring. Just my opinion.

I think favorite movies depend on how old you were and where you were in your life. Over the years I have had several favorites. One of my first favorites was Ben Hur and also Gone With the Wind, I also liked The Overlanders (Australian Cattle drive)  Ice Cold in Alex and Treasure of the Sierra Madre amongst others.

Many of these old movies are being remastered and are becoming available on the internet now some with subtitles which is good for my older ears.

:smile:

Ps. Recently one of my favorite films has been "Eye in the Sky"  starring Helen Mirren -http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2057392/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Worth a watch.

Edited by Daffy D

3 hours ago, transam said:

I recall Moby Dick...(1956), of course as a weeeee lad the eyes were wide open watching it...Has left an impression...Yeh...Ben Hur was in a class of it's own....

yeah...I like Moby Dick too (another John Huston film)...some folks thought that Gregory Peck was miscast as Ahab, he bein' a more Atticus Finch type of guy...but his performance was memorable, the scene when he nailed the gold piece to the mast; I wanted to go out and get that whale too...a great cast all around, I thought...

Wings of Desire, the original German version, not the saccharine US remake with Nicolas Cage. Runner's up: Rear Window ; Paris, Texas; Apocalypse Now. Also greatly enjoyed Fight Club, The Usual Suspects, Memento, and Cloud Atlas 

The first Goodfather followed by Cascablanca.

I am a WWII film collector and have over 1,900 titles in my collection; in that category I rate Das Boot (the short theatrical version) as number one.

One observation I have made regarding the IMDb ratings is that US produced films in general get too a high rating whereas non-English films are rated too law.