CNN, Tapper sorry for banner that said 'if Jews are People'

webfact

CNN, Tapper sorry for banner that said 'if Jews are People' 

in.jpg

Image source: Internet

NEW YORK (AP) — CNN and host Jake Tapper have apologized for an on-screen banner Tapper says "horrified" him when it appeared during his show.

The vacationing Tapper responded to outraged viewers with Twitter posts explaining he's "furious."

The offending phrase appeared Monday during a discussion among substitute host of "The Lead" Jim Sciutto and two journalists about Republican President-elect Donald Trump's support from the alt-right.

The segment focused on white nationalist leader Richard Spencer, whose anti-Semitic declarations Sciutto called "hate-filled garbage." The on-screen phrase during the segment stated, "Alt-Right Founder Questions if Jews are People."

CNN says it regrets the caption.

One of the journalists was The Boston Globe's Matt Viser , who said Tuesday he was bombarded with messages calling him a "closet Nazi" because the caption led people to believe he's Spencer.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-11-23

7 hours ago, Jack Mountain said:

I am not Jewish , but that is very racist , all the Jews i ever met were decent people , who did not go around bombing each other and us .

Edited by seedy
Quote Hidden Post

2 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

I don't think the alt-right would disavow this byline.  Trump's campaign empowered and emboldened racists to go more public with their hatred.  The horses have bolted, and it's too late to close the stable door.

And let those horses run. Freedom of speech and all that. 

10 minutes ago, Jack Mountain said:

jews are NOT a race!!!

I actually agree with you on that. The Jewish people are an ethno-religious group like the Kurds. Most Jews have an ethnic connection to major Jewish ethnic groups like Sephardic, Ashkenazic, Mizrahi and Ethiopian. A minority don't and became Jewish through marriage then conversion or just conversion. Jews unlike most major religions do not actively proselyze for converts. You need to actively seek that. Also secular/non-religious Jewish people are also Jews if they identify that way. Anthropologically, Jewish ethnicity is  matrilineal, comes from the MOTHER. Jews are free to stop identifying as Jews if they wish, but if they've got an ethnic connection as above, that gets into a grey area. 

One strong form of antisemitism does hate Jews in a racist way. There are different flavors of antisemitism. Antisemitism can be racist actually because many people confuse ethnicity with race. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, Jack Mountain said:

Stupid comment from a vicious anti-semite. Stupid because words don't derive their meaning from etymology but from usage.  In Europe particularly, racism is the term used to describe prejudice against ethnic groups including Jews. And if that doesn't show how empty your comment is, how about this: anti-semitism means bigotry against jews. Yet arabs are semites, as are ethiopians, chaldeans etc.. So literally it should mean prejudice against all semites.  But it doesn't. It's just about Jews.

Edited by seedy
Quote Hidden Post

I bet the Muslims in the USA are happy about all the talk about Hitler, Jews, etc.

It takes the focus off of them.

Same as the Latinos are happy when the whites are fighting the blacks.

This means the Vietnamese are the only people who get to slide under the radar.

Peace to all or Pence to all.

Hijacking this thread into yet another Israel demonizing one is totally missing the topic here.

This is about far right wing / Nazi style / fascist / white supremacist / "alt-right" style Jew hatred in the USA.

Very sadly, the trump campaign has given frequent WINKS to these American white supremacist haters, even though never of course explicitly endorsing them. 

That faction of antisemitism hates Arabs too. And all of the non-white people that racist scum calls "mud" people. 

That is the topic HERE. There are usually plenty of other topics for the usual obsessive Israel demonizing posts. Those are totally OFF TOPIC here. 

Edited by Jingthing

people
ˈpiːp(ə)l/
noun
human beings in general or considered collectively.
"the earthquake killed 30,000 people"
synonyms: human beings, persons, individuals, humans, mankind, humankind, the human race, Homo sapiens, humanity, the human species, mortals, (living) souls, personages, {men, women, and children}; More
the members of a particular nation, community, or ethnic group.
"the native peoples of Canada"
synonyms: race, tribe, clan, ethnic group, strain, stock, caste, nation, country, population, populace;

It's linguistic correct to use the term people...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

What am I missing here in terms of wondering why CNN and Tapper are apologizing?

And before I get clobbered, let me stress, I am TOTALLY against the racist, bigoted or whatever you want to call them views of the far right.

My point is, doesn't the offending capture presumably accurately reflect the kind of views espoused by Spencer and his fellow right-wing nut jobs? If so, the caption was simply describing his views accurately, as abhorrent as they are.

The one thing CNN OUGHT to be apologizing for, though, is displaying the Spencer-related banner over the images of one or both of the journalists appearing on the panel discussion, perhaps giving some the impression that the journalists were the ones expressing those views, which they weren't.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Fair enough point.

I think it's not so much about not reporting what that Nazi  alt-right hate preachers said, obviously it should be, but rather it's so inflammatory that it would be better to not include that in an out of context SNIPPET text on screen like that. Maybe splitting hairs, but I understand the controversy. 

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Fair enough point.

I think it's not so much about not reporting what that Nazi  alt-right hate preachers said, obviously it should be, but rather it's so inflammatory that it would be better to not include that in an out of context SNIPPET text on screen like that. Maybe splitting hairs, but I understand the controversy. 

Obviously I understand it's a sensitive issue.

But my feeling is the media ought to accurately and objectively report hate speech when it becomes part of the news, and not sugar-coat it.

The ordinary middle of the road people/Americans ought to be told exactly and clearly what kind of fringe (or perhaps not so fringe now) people Trump is bringing into the "mainstream" political process. They need to understand just what kind of political movement they voted for.

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Obviously I understand it's a sensitive issue.

But my feeling is the media ought to accurately and objectively report hate speech when it becomes part of the news, and not sugar-coat it.

The ordinary middle of the road people/Americans ought to be told exactly and clearly what kind of fringe (or perhaps not so fringe now) people Trump is bringing into the "mainstream" political process. They need to understand just what kind of political movement they voted for.

We agree. It should be reported! I think the issue is the banner text SNIPPET out of context. 

Racist and Off Topic posts - and Quoted Replies - Removed. Suspensions Issued. Take the time to Read the Forum Rules you agreed to when opening your account. Stay on Topic. Which is not the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, Religious Hatred, or anything else but what the Topic title says.

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

She's a convert but it's not very rare for ethnic Jews to be blonde, especially when young. 

Blonde? Young? What does that have to do with the comment that Jews are not a race and pointing out in my comment that Trump's daughter is not a member of that race?

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

There it is. That mental disease again called antisemitism. trump has whipped it up. Not explicitly but he has constantly WINKED at it. 

The most effective ways to discredit politicians is to either accuse them of historic sexual offences such as sexual assaults or rape that cannot be proved or disproved or the old favourite, one that never fails, is to accuse them of being anti Semitic.

All these tricks and propaganda is perpetrated by the enemies of Donald Trump, a dirty tricks campaign put out by those who oppose him. The object of the game being; put out enough lies far and wide enough and then it becomes known as fact.  

Just now, cyberfarang said:

The most effective ways to discredit politicians is to either accuse them of historic sexual offences such as sexual assaults or rape that cannot be proved or disproved or the old favourite, one that never fails, is to accuse them of being anti Semitic.

All these tricks and propaganda is perpetrated by the enemies of Donald Trump, a dirty tricks campaign put out by those who oppose him. The object of the game being; put out enough lies far and wide enough and then it becomes known as fact.  

Dude, I was directly responding to a post that was explicitly antisemitic with no ambiguity. So your reply is simply ABSURD. 

As far as the Neo-Nazi alt right leader that made the comment in the t.v. snippet, surely you can see he's a Jew hater? Right? Or does your bias about this totally cloud reality? 

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

Oh, pathetic. Vague comments like this are so useless.

Now I could waste my time and be offended by this, but I don't because it is a meaningless  piece of information that has no effect on my inner wellbeing. I think some Muslims, Jews, blacks, fat people, handicapped are overly sensitive to the slightest comment such as the topic sentence. And why are they so offended. Because they don't feel good about themselves. I myself feel good about myself, so have a field day, say what you like  lol. Water off a ducks back. ?? 

3 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Now I could waste my time and be offended by this, but I don't because it is a meaningless  piece of information that has no effect on my inner wellbeing. I think some Muslims, Jews, blacks, fat people, handicapped are overly sensitive to the slightest comment such as the topic sentence. And why are they so offended. Because they don't feel good about themselves. I myself feel good about myself, so have a field day, say what you like  lol. Water off a ducks back. ?? 

Oh, now I get it. This thread was really all about you.

48 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Thus we have safe zones with kid's toys, and an insular way to avoid everyday real life. Take these things with a bit of humor like a grown up is a lot easier and lighter, eh? We have some less grown up posters who really, really get off on calling everything under the sun racist, sexist etc. etc. but they are the ones who appear bitter and full of a cancerous hate- for what?

Edited by gemini81
addition