Randomly interrogated by foreigner & Thai officer, is this normal?

46 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Would have been funny if said just a minute and ordered a beer to lighten the situation. all the such, this is intrusive but sounds like another Asoke ordeal. Nothing to hide, nothing to worry.

Right until the day it is 'Never you mind who we are. Documents, NOW.' Whether anyone has anything to hide or not, my sentence above is reason enough to worry.

5 minutes ago, baboon said:

Right until the day it is 'Never you mind who we are. Documents, NOW.' Whether anyone has anything to hide or not, my sentence above is reason enough to worry.

The ol' 'Gene Hunt' routine doesn't work in the 21st century, not even here.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, berybert said:

Not sure I would want someone photographing my ID. Specially not a middle eastern chap who could use such Id for his own benefit.

Someone suggested you might have a similar appearance to a rapist or bomber. Well if that is the case that rapist or bomber might now be using your ID as his own.

Never trust an Arab.

Middle eastern as in Turkish, not Arabic. 
But that was just a guess, what do i know heh :-)

2 hours ago, elviajero said:

As UJ said the foreigner could simply have been working with the Thai police looking for somebody. You may have resembled the person they are after. Foreign police working in Thailand is not unusual.

And it is common practice in Pattaya that banged-up foreigners looking for a faster way home are volunteered for use in police stings to catch other dodgy foreigners.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 2

Can't find the link but that Turk / Arab guy has been working with police a few years now, it's a bit weird

Not a foreign police officer, some kind of expat interpreter who doesn't wear a uniform like the volunteers in Pattaya / Phuket 

Edited by jspill

2 hours ago, HooHaa said:

correct response is yes, i have id, can i see yours.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

So I guess very few of you guys would feel any remorse at all if they were looking for a bomber or a rapist and you wasted their time by not cooperating?

Is it that onerous to pull out some ID so they can do their job? 

Not to any Tom,Dick or Somchai.

• Like 2

That Thonglor police pamphlet says you're allowed to film police

It's a bit nerve wracking in the moment but you could start filming yourself, say the date, what's happening, then turn the camera on them

56 minutes ago, billd766 said:

If it is possible to buy Thai military uniforms then it is equally possible to buy Thai police uniforms. Just because the foreigner was with a man dressed in a Thai police uniform does not mean that either or both are genuine and it certainly is not obvious to me.

IMHO I would have been polite and asked to see their ID before I showed them mine. I would probably also asked for their station and badge numbers too.

I am sure that they were genuine but a little checking does no harm and genuine police officers would have no problem with that.

Not only military uniforms. There have been many reports over the years about fake police doing raids on various establishments.

If you think the uniforms could be fake, then why trust the ID's? All police ID's would be in Thai, so you can't read them, and even if you could, how would you know a genuine police ID from a fake one?

I think checking does more harm that good. If they are genuine police officers they may become more aggressive, so it's a risk. If they're fake, you wouldn't know it anyway.

I think the best way to avoid these problems is sticking to areas inhabited by many foreigners such as shopping malls rather than making a spectacle of yourself on a street, either walking around or eating at street carts. The sooner you get off the streets in Bangkok, the better.

The other way is to just flash your ID and get it over and done with as quickly and painlessly as possible, always being super polite. Thinking they're going to steal your Identity is just paranoia. People who are that paranoid shouldn't be living in Thailand.

Edited by tropo

28 minutes ago, tropo said:

Not only military uniforms. There have been many reports over the years about fake police doing raids on various establishments.

If you think the uniforms could be fake, then why trust the ID's? All police ID's would be in Thai, so you can't read them, and even if you could, how would you know a genuine police ID from a fake one?

I think checking does more harm that good. If they are genuine police officers they may become more aggressive, so it's a risk. If they're fake, you wouldn't know it anyway.

I think the best way to avoid these problems is sticking to areas inhabited by many foreigners such as shopping malls rather than making a spectacle of yourself on a street, either walking around or eating at street carts. The sooner you get off the streets in Bangkok, the better.

The other way is to just flash your ID and get it over and done with as quickly and painlessly as possible, always being super polite. Thinking they're going to steal your Identity is just paranoia. People who are that paranoid shouldn't be living in Thailand.

Is being scared of being on the streets also a sign of paranoia ? Woooow look at me I'm walking down the street. Arrest me for walking in a funny manor and talking with a strange accent.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Asiantravel said:

but how do you know they were bone fide? how many stories of the been on this forum about impersonation of police officers?

and if they were genuine are we suddenly living in East Berlin?

"...how many stories of the been on this forum about impersonation of police officers?"

It's not common as you seem to be suggesting, I can recall one, how many do you have links to?

What's living in Germany (East Berlin [sic]) got to do with it?

4 hours ago, kannot said:

I would answer nothing except at a  Police station with someone else present, id also ask to see the foreigners work permit

Why would you want to go to a police station to identify yourself?  Do you have authority to examine another persons work permit?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jspill said:

Can't find the link but that Turk / Arab guy has been working with police a few years now, it's a bit weird

Not a foreign police officer, some kind of expat interpreter who doesn't wear a uniform like the volunteers in Pattaya / Phuket 

There are a number of foreigners who volunteer their services as interpreters to assist the police and, of course, those members of the public that need an interpreter when being questioned.  They are neither Volunteer Police nor foreign police and they cannot wear uniforms because of that.

53 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Sounds like a Tijuana shake down to me.  Politely say "pound sand" until I see some ID.  Be polite but refuse and don't get into any type of car without first calling the TAT for starters

What's their number but what would the Tourism Authority be able to do for you, even if you called during business hours?  I doubt many foreigners have that number in their contact list.

anyways the Arab looking guy might actually be born in Thailand and grew up as a Thai guy who received an english education (which explains why he spoke english) and a Thai one as well to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

I know quite a few South Asian Thais, Middle Eastern Thais, Caucasian Thais, Chinese Thais and probably quite a few other mix as well. You don't have to be South East Asian or Thai Thai to have a Thai Nationality. 

But yeah try to ask for their IDs next time.

• Like 1

Sounds like Thong Lor police going back to their tried and trusted techniques dating back to 1973, random stop and search of foreigners. Give it 6 months and they will crank up the random piss testing of foreigners. If they feel emboldened they might even start up 'no passport, immediate arrest, detain and fine' scheme that riled the foreign embassies.