2016 Toyota Fortuner Sportivo 4X4

DepDavid

I am having issues with the six speed auto tranny. There is a whining noise which correlates with output shaft speed not engine rpm, and it won't shift to sixth gear at any speed with steady throttle. It will make an audible klunk shifting into sixth if I remove my foot completely from the accelerator.

Dealership tried to blow it off as wind noise or engine noise then said it works fine in cruise control.

Anyone else experiencing similar issues that has found a resolution?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There have been a few topics on Thai fora regarding this problem. The solution in their case was to replace the gearbox under warranty. Try another dealer or call Toyota HQ for more information.

7 hours ago, DepDavid said:

Waiting for an appointment with the "experts " from Bangkok to come evaluate it.

I hear it takes months to get parts for the ford!

What was that about wind noise from the dealer ...did you to to a Ford one by mistake ...from an Everest owner. BUT the the produce is good ... well up to now ........

Of coure I did opt for the extra two year warranty.

7 hours ago, DepDavid said:

Waiting for an appointment with the "experts " from Bangkok to come evaluate it.

It might take months to get parts for the Toyota too. Seems that some people are having to wait at least 1 month for the new gearbox to arrive...

Edited by JoeW

9 hours ago, DepDavid said:

Local Ford garage obtained a new Gearbox for 3.2 pickup. Fitted same in under 4 days. So not to bad except that it shouldn't have gone wrong in the first place.  

3 hours ago, DepDavid said:

I'm just hoping for an appropriate resolution. If it takes a little time no problem. Toyota expert in hospital ( they only have the one???) so I'm hoping for his quick recovery then we can move forward.

Do you mind telling us where your dealer is located? Your problem can be found by using the TDT (toyota diagnostic tool). Every dealer can use it.

Buriram. We actually drove with a laptop connected to the vehicle proving the shift to sixth was not occurring. I was driving so could not see what it indicated but it was the dealership service manager who suggested the next step in the algorithm which is to get the expert from BKK to take a look. I think we are moving forward. They are very responsive to this point.

1 hour ago, DepDavid said:

Buriram. We actually drove with a laptop connected to the vehicle proving the shift to sixth was not occurring. I was driving so could not see what it indicated but it was the dealership service manager who suggested the next step in the algorithm which is to get the expert from BKK to take a look. I think we are moving forward. They are very responsive to this point.

Your dealer seems to be doing their job. However, I still believe there is no need for an expert from Bangkok. As the information read from the diagnostic tool can be emailed to Bangkok for analysis.

Anyway let us know how things end. I wish you the best of luck :)

• 1 month later...

Today the customer service rep and "Fortuner tech" came from BKK to Buriram to evaluate the problem.

There was a programming update which was installed which corrected the hard shift to sixth gear but it did not resolve the issue of having to remove my foot from the accelerator to get the thing to shift into sixth.

The response from the "experts" is that this is normal. I can't believe that this is normal and expressed my concern that the transmission has a problem and it should be corrected before it gets worse.

Final outcome from today's visit: Hard shift to sixth resolved, but whining and shift to sixth not resolved. Response from the staff was "you have 3 year warranty if you have any more problems. "

Has anyone had similar issues and if so how was it resolved?

46 minutes ago, DepDavid said:

Today the customer service rep and "Fortuner tech" came from BKK to Buriram to evaluate the problem.

There was a programming update which was installed which corrected the hard shift to sixth gear but it did not resolve the issue of having to remove my foot from the accelerator to get the thing to shift into sixth.

The response from the "experts" is that this is normal. I can't believe that this is normal and expressed my concern that the transmission has a problem and it should be corrected before it gets worse.

Final outcome from today's visit: Hard shift to sixth resolved, but whining and shift to sixth not resolved. Response from the staff was "you have 3 year warranty if you have any more problems. "

Has anyone had similar issues and if so how was it resolved?

Sorry to hear of your problems.

I had a test drive in the new Fortuner 'Not a Spivo' but same same, a few days ago must say the gearbox in that behaved perfectly fine.

No whining changed up/down as it should.

Suggest you complain to the head office that your not satisfied with the out come, and if you don't get this problem sorted you will be coming down there causing them big problems.

Don't forget to say that it's already all over the internet as well. Might with a bit of luck wake them up.

I had a problem with one of their garages before emailed them complaining, and they acted very quickly. That particular garage is now top notch. So it does work.

Their email is [email protected]

Best of luck.

Edited by fredob43

2 hours ago, DepDavid said:

They are feeding you BS.

In what sense is it an 'automatic' gearbox if it will only shift into sixth by you lifting your foot?

Somehow you need to compare yours with another matching 2016 model and prove beyond doubt to Toyota that there is an issue. I've got the previous version otherwise I could have assisted as I don't live far from Toyota Buriram or get them to provide one for you to test.

Somehow you need to compare yours with another matching 2016 model and prove beyond doubt to Toyota that there is an issue. I've got the previous version otherwise I could have assisted as I don't live far from Toyota Buriram or get them to provide one for you to test.

Yes I tried. No have and they refuse to let us test a new one. Only demo model. The Revo with same engine trans combo we did drive was flawless.

On 1/18/2017 at 5:33 PM, fredob43 said:

Sorry to hear of your problems.

I had a test drive in the new Fortuner 'Not a Spivo' but same same, a few days ago must say the gearbox in that behaved perfectly fine.

No whining changed up/down as it should.

Suggest you complain to the head office that your not satisfied with the out come, and if you don't get this problem sorted you will be coming down there causing them big problems.

Don't forget to say that it's already all over the internet as well. Might with a bit of luck wake them up.

I had a problem with one of their garages before emailed them complaining, and they acted very quickly. That particular garage is now top notch. So it does work.

Their email is [email protected]

Best of luck.

I did send an email to them, thanks for the info.  Lets see if I get a response.  I also went back to the dealership and told them I was very unhappy about how this is turning out.  They are going to the next step to contact the Bangkok office to see about sending someone else up to take a look.  I tried to contact the maker of the transmission, they do not want to talk to the consumer.  I called the Bangkok service center and they said the file indicates nothing is wrong.  I said I know it does, but that is incorrect.  They are supposed to get back to me tomorrow.

2 hours ago, DepDavid said:

I did send an email to them, thanks for the info.  Lets see if I get a response.  I also went back to the dealership and told them I was very unhappy about how this is turning out.  They are going to the next step to contact the Bangkok office to see about sending someone else up to take a look.  I tried to contact the maker of the transmission, they do not want to talk to the consumer.  I called the Bangkok service center and they said the file indicates nothing is wrong.  I said I know it does, but that is incorrect.  They are supposed to get back to me tomorrow.

Please give them time to sort things. They usually take a day or two. Whatever I'm sure they will deal with you asap.

I have had a few dealings with head office over the years and they have come up trumps every time.

Please let us know how you get on. As it helps everyone.

Again best of luck. 

Edited by fredob43

UPDATE:

Toyota called today and said they are going to test other similar Fortuner and see if they have same issue or not.

The transmission noise is loudest between 80-110kph. It does not change at all in relation to engine speed.

I got up to 100 and shifted the selector to neutral. The sound did not change.

The sound definitely comes through the gear selector but it is attached to the transmission only by a cable.

Does this indicate the sound is coming from something other than the gearbox?

4 minutes ago, DepDavid said:

UPDATE:

Toyota called today and said they are going to test other similar Fortuner and see if they have same issue or not.

The transmission noise is loudest between 80-110kph. It does not change at all in relation to engine speed.

I got up to 100 and shifted the selector to neutral. The sound did not change.

The sound definitely comes through the gear selector but it is attached to the transmission only by a cable.

Does this indicate the sound is coming from something other than the gearbox?

Diff or drive shaft UJ............

UPDATE:

I received a phone call from Toyota in Bangkok today. Long story short they said every fortune or in my configuration is the same. I said if they are the same then they are all broken so what are we doing to fix it will research and development come up with a program for the computer to make the car shift properly?

The response was no they are not going to do anything because they are all the same.

The customer service guy suggested placing a panel underneath the shift lever to reduce the noise which I agreed to and I also suggested replacing the transmission filter and the transmission oil.

I have called and left a message to set up an appointment with the owner of Buriram Toyota so that he can actually drive my vehicle see the problem for himself and then maybe he can use his position to get research and development to come up with a better program.

As of this moment bottom line is Toyota fortune or with the 2.8 L engine and six speed transmission does not shift properly. There are multiple complaints that it does not shift into six gear properly and Toyota is doing nothing to fix it.