2016 Toyota Fortuner Sportivo 4X4

DepDavid

1 hour ago, transam said:

I ask because replacement discs from 2004 to date on the Vigo has the same part number, except those with VSC..

That is as may be, but the first Fortuna produced in 2005 had the same brakes servo as the Vigo.

Upgraded a year or so later with bigger discs Drums and larger servo. As I said before they had to do something as it wouldn't stop.

A friend of mine brought one of the first ones, I had a couple of goes and to me it was a death trap when loaded. None to cleaver with driver only. The main reason my first lump was a Vigo at least that stopped. Never loaded it so can't comment on that.

Vast improvement on the latter upgraded Fortuna's but you could still get brake fade on the mountain? roads. That's what I found with my Spivo.

Not now as have had fitted even larger after market disc's all round. Not cheap but at least it now stops on a pin. 

Even the latest Fortuna's have the crap disc/drum set up. Albeit bigger drums.

N/B, Not the new Sportivo that has disc's all round. Maybe Toyota have realised something at long last???

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

That is as may be, but the first Fortuna produced in 2005 had the same brakes servo as the Vigo.

Upgraded a year or so later with bigger discs Drums and larger servo. As I said before they had to do something as it wouldn't stop.

A friend of mine brought one of the first ones, I had a couple of goes and to me it was a death trap when loaded. None to cleaver with driver only. The main reason my first lump was a Vigo at least that stopped. Never loaded it so can't comment on that.

Vast improvement on the latter upgraded Fortuna's but you could still get brake fade on the mountain? roads. That's what I found with my Spivo.

Not now as have had fitted even larger after market disc's all round. Not cheap but at least it now stops on a pin. 

Even the latest Fortuna's have the crap disc/drum set up. Albeit bigger drums.

N/B, Not the new Sportivo that has disc's all round. Maybe Toyota have realised something at long last???

They have the same size discs and drums from inception, 2005...Well thats what replacement parts tells me.....

Fortuner 2004 - 2009: Brake Disc Part No.:  435120K010 -> this part was shared with Hilux Pickup

Diameter: 255 mm

Fortuner 2009 - 2015: Brake Disc Part No.:  435120K090 -> Hilux kept using above part, fortuner switched to this one.

Diameter: 297 mm

Anyway that's what the system at our shop tells me :)

16 hours ago, JoeW said:

Fortuner 2004 - 2009: Brake Disc Part No.:  435120K010 -> this part was shared with Hilux Pickup

Fortuner 2009 - 2015: Brake Disc Part No.:  435120K090 -> Hilux kept using above part, fortuner switched to this one.

Thanks for the update. I stand corrected. I did know that they had upgraded the brakes but though it was before 09. Had made inquiries about same before buying my Spivo also 09.

Tip anyone thinking of buying a pre 09 Fortuner don't unless it's had a brake upgrade. They don't stop. 

Just now, fredob43 said:

Thanks for the update. I stand corrected. I did know that they had upgraded the brakes but though it was before 09. Had made inquiries about same before buying my Spivo also 09.

Tip anyone thinking of buying a pre 09 Fortuner don't unless it's had a brake upgrade. They don't stop. 

RUBBISH..............shocked-smiley-emoticon.gif

Just now, transam said:

RUBBISH..............shocked-smiley-emoticon.gif

I don't know who the hell you think you are (MR I'm right all the time) but I did put in that they had had an upgrade. Correct me if I'm wrong but it was You that said they hadn't???  but still won't admit it. At least like other's you have yet another albeit rubbish post under your name. Well done.

1 minute ago, fredob43 said:

I don't know who the hell you think you are (MR I'm right all the time) but I did put in that they had had an upgrade. Correct me if I'm wrong but it was You that said they hadn't???  but still won't admit it. At least like other's you have yet another albeit rubbish post under your name. Well done.

Hmmmm, think you said a year after the original Vigo and Fortuner they upgraded the brakes, they never, it seems 2009 something happened....

YOU now post pre 2009 they don't stop...Total rollox as my 2007 with a TON of tiles on board has......You are scare mongering or have a pussies brake pedal foot...Gawd..

Just now, transam said:

Hmmmm, think you said a year after the original Vigo and Fortuner they upgraded the brakes, they never, it seems 2009 something happened....

YOU now post pre 2009 they don't stop...Total rollox as my 2007 with a TON of tiles on board has......You are scare mongering or have a pussies brake pedal foot...Gawd..

I was quoting the Fortuner brakes nothing about the Vigo. I did if you care to look say that I didn't know about the Vigo braking under load as I never loaded mine. Re a year I do believe I put a year or so.  Yes I'll admit I was incorrect about the date. Whilst you kept saying that they hadn't been changed at all. Suggest you read post fully. And then get your facts right. Might in future stop you rubbishing other peeps posts.

3 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I was quoting the Fortuner brakes nothing about the Vigo. I did if you care to look say that I didn't know about the Vigo braking under load as I never loaded mine. Re a year I do believe I put a year or so.  Yes I'll admit I was incorrect about the date. Whilst you kept saying that they hadn't been changed at all. Suggest you read post fully. And then get your facts right. Might in future stop you rubbishing other peeps posts.

Heeeeeeeeeeey, I said...."Are you sure"...........TWICE.........Looking for info...

Just now, Xaos said:

Its less then year old. New model

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

They have Discs all round. Totally different set up to the early ones that I was quoting.

Pre 09 they were rubbish, after the 09 upgrade they were much better but still not great. I had fading several time on hilly/mountainous roads. Hence changed to after market brakes, bigger discs on front and discs not drums on rear. Have still kept the same servo though as that seems to cope well.  

8 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Yes I was sure. And now it seems correct. Albeit a tad wrong on year.

Waaaaaay off on the year........But you said originals don't stop.......That is a crap comment, plus YOU advise folk not to buy them...Why does my 2007 stop AND ABS kick in....Tell us...?

Just now, transam said:

Waaaaaay off on the year........But you said originals don't stop.......That is a crap comment, plus YOU advise folk not to buy them...Why does my 2007 stop AND ABS kick in....Tell us...?

My last post on this subject.

I was referring to the FORTUNER brakes, Got It now. Not the Vigo that YOU have. Their not the same thing if you hadn't noticed.

Suggest you go back over the posts and re read.

Re what year does it matter?  My point is they have been upgraded to a bigger set up. You were TOTALY INCORRECT by saying they hadn't. Facts are facts I rest my case. 

9 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

My last post on this subject.

I was referring to the FORTUNER brakes, Got It now. Not the Vigo that YOU have. Their not the same thing if you hadn't noticed.

Suggest you go back over the posts and re read.

Re what year does it matter?  My point is they have been upgraded to a bigger set up. You were TOTALY INCORRECT by saying they hadn't. Facts are facts I rest my case. 

So pre 2009 don't stop....Rollox......?

You said 2005 stuff changed.........No it didn't......You are scare mongering......

Been a long time since we had a Spivo , but vaguely recall softer pads fitted that got dust all over the wheels.Its still looks very nice now, Thai Lady and still local but i hated the poncy thing, and its sloppy handling.Im a Vigo Fan for value.

Look into our system again: Hilux 4WD Top model from 2009 shares the same brake discs as the Fortuner 297 mm.

However, 2WD models kept the old brake discs.

Just now, JoeW said:

Look into our system again: Hilux 4WD Top model from 2009 shares the same brake discs as the Fortuner 297 mm.

However, 2WD models kept the old brake discs.

Interesting I lay odds that some peeps wont be pleased they have the lesser system on their Vigo.

On 3/2/2017 at 8:31 PM, JoeW said:

255mm?? no wonder it didn't stop. Think that's about the size of my swift discs,...with a car half the weight of a fortuner.

3 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

Been a long time since we had a Spivo , but vaguely recall softer pads fitted that got dust all over the wheels.Its still looks very nice now, Thai Lady and still local but i hated the poncy thing, and its sloppy handling.Im a Vigo Fan for value.

Sloppy handling one thing it isn't. If anything it's to tight due to the lowered springs and sports shocks. I do hope that your not comparing it to a 3lt Vigo 4x4 having had both I can tell you their like chalk and cheese the Spivo will hold the road like glue at high speed 150kph + where as the Vigo's rear end will tramp on the slightest bump. Does improver a tad if you fit a horizontal rear axle shock though.

If it helps, the brakes on the 08 Camry feel like wooden blocks held on with string.

9 hours ago, DavisH said:

255mm?? no wonder it didn't stop. Think that's about the size of my swift discs,...with a car half the weight of a fortuner.

Many car brands do it...wouldn't be surprised if the minor change civic gets bigger discs too :)

12 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Interesting I lay odds that some peeps wont be pleased they have the lesser system on their Vigo.

Why would that be...?

Thanks to JoeW we have it sorted, basic Vigo's from 2004 till 2015 use the same brakes, the basic trucks are street load carriers and Toyota deem the brakes are adequate for the job, you said they don't stop, don't buy one...strange they use the same brakes if there was a problem eh...

2009 they put bigger discs on the off road model, obviously because of the job they 'may' have to do .......off road..

PS. My 2007 4x4 has no problem stopping on the street and probably extended brake use off road, but as i don't go off road l don't think l will find out if there 'maybe' a problem..