2016 Toyota Fortuner Sportivo 4X4

DepDavid

4 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

Dont recon many are dumb enough to upgrade the rears to disk ,they do next to ....  all anyway ,less your towing near max capacity, but they do look Hello Kittyish with "Look at Me" Brembo covers .:partytime2:

Hey, don't bring my wig into this........facepalm.gif

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

Dont recon many are dumb enough to upgrade the rears to disk ,they do next to ....  all anyway ,less your towing near max capacity, but they do look Hello Kittyish with "Look at Me" Brembo covers .:partytime2:

If you had read any of my previous post you would have known that I have had my engine sorted hence the brake upgrade.

You might like to also check on the internet regards discs brakes might enlighten you. Doubt it though as most of your 4000 a year post do tend to be childish/drivel.

T/A Please note for the 20th time I was referring to the early FORTUNERS not stopping not the Vigo. I did have a Vigo and found that the brakes on that were ok. Got it now???

Time now for some peeps to go play with their Teddies or maybe get some sort of life.

3 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

If you had read any of my previous post you would have known that I have had my engine sorted hence the brake upgrade.

You might like to also check on the internet regards discs brakes might enlighten you. Doubt it though as most of your 4000 a year post do tend to be childish/drivel.

T/A Please note for the 20th time I was referring to the early FORTUNERS not stopping not the Vigo. I did have a Vigo and found that the brakes on that were ok. Got it now???

Time now for some peeps to go play with their Teddies or maybe get some sort of life.

The Fortuner and the Vigo are probably near the same weight and have the same performance, so tell me why one stops and the other doesn't as you have stated..?

20 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Interesting I lay odds that some peeps wont be pleased they have the lesser system on their Vigo.

Why would they care ?.

Brakes are brakes either they work or they dont.

6 minutes ago, transam said:

The Fortuner and the Vigo are probably near the same weight and have the same performance, so tell me why one stops and the other doesn't as you have stated..?

As the Vigo is designed to carry a payload you would think they brakes on it would be better the the toona

14 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

As the Vigo is designed to carry a payload you would think they brakes on it would be better the the toona

True, but a bloke is advising folk not to buy cos they don't stop, total nonsense...Just because Toyota decided too do an upgrade on the Fortuner...

2 minutes ago, transam said:

True, but a bloke is advising folk not to buy cos they don't stop, total nonsense...Just because Toyota decided too do an upgrade on the Fortuner...

yeah the "dont stop" thing is baffling, mine stops just fine as long as Iam not trying to stop on a dime from 180.

Edited by Don Mega

36 minutes ago, transam said:

I haven't a clue but it was all over the internet that the early Fortuners didn't stop when loaded. aAs stated drove one and they were a death trap. You even had to stand on the peddle to slow it down at low speed.

Hence I assume the Toyota upgrade on later models.

31 minutes ago, transam said:

I did advise peeps not the buy. But with a proviso that was if they hadn't had the brake upgrade. Please read my posts in full.

33 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

yeah the "dont stop" thing is baffling, mine stops just fine as long as Iam not trying to stop on a dime from 180.

Before I had my upgrade the rear shoes were completely buggered at less than 60thkm. Leading edges were down to the mettle. I must point out I'm very light on brakes.

Since the upgrade my lump now stops on a dime at all speeds. On the one test I gave it at well over 200kph it short me forward only saved by the belt. That's good for me a vast improvement on the original set up. With the plonkers that drive on Thai roads it's a must. 

Just now, fredob43 said:

Before I had my upgrade the rear shoes were completely buggered at less than 60thkm. Leading edges were down to the mettle. I must point out I'm very light on brakes.

Since the upgrade my lump now stops on a dime at all speeds. On the one test I gave it at well over 200kph it short me forward only saved by the belt. That's good for me a vast improvement on the original set up. With the plonkers that drive on Thai roads it's a must. 

Whats the expect service life of a set of brake shoes, 60thk seems reasonable for a big heavy car, mine certainly dont last that long in my vigo.

And a brake upgrade improved the brakes, amazing stuff right there !!

Just now, Don Mega said:

Whats the expect service life of a set of brake shoes, 60thk seems reasonable for a big heavy car, mine certainly dont last that long in my vigo.

And a brake upgrade improved the brakes, amazing stuff right there !!

My Vigos rear shoes looked like new at 60th when I sold it. As I said I'm light on brakes. Had a Ford Capri 3lt auto the front pads lasted 120+th miles. Only changed then as had to have new discs. Ford Discs were never that good.

By the way the Fortuner is lighter by several kg than the Vigo. Just a bit of trivia.

10 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

By the way the Fortuner is lighter by several kg than the Vigo. Just a bit of trivia.

A quick google suggest the tuna is several kg heavier than a double cab vigo, intersting trivia indeed !!

4 hours ago, Don Mega said:

A quick google suggest the tuna is several kg heavier than a double cab vigo, intersting trivia indeed !!

I did google it and it said that the Vigo 4x4 4 door was 2030kg kerb weight. And the Fortuner was 1985kg. Well done Google.

Might be using the same site as TA with his disc sizes. I stand corrected. Looks like my Trivia is incorrect yet again. Oh well you cant have it all. At least I do admit when I get it wrong unlike some peeps.

13 hours ago, fredob43 said:

I haven't a clue but it was all over the internet that the early Fortuners didn't stop when loaded. aAs stated drove one and they were a death trap. You even had to stand on the peddle to slow it down at low speed.

Hence I assume the Toyota upgrade on later models.

Well I can only assume the ride you were in had a problem, such as vacuum pump, as I have driven near all pickups and and  Fortuner's that all had excellent brakes, or should l say the thought never came into my head regarding naff brakes. My weee Mrs.Trans mainly drives our 4x4 Vigo and I have been in it when she has made an emergency stop, no ploblem...

14 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Rear discs - on common passenger vehicles - from a stopping power perspective - waste of time. Drums brakes more than adequate. All about weight transfer. Read all about it ...

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-front-brakes-always-larger-than-rear-brakes

Discs do look nicer tho' - for all the Yo's in the audience

The best thing about rear discs is brake adjustment, there is non, where as drums always need adjusting as l have found auto adjust are crap. The Vigo has a weee window in the back plate to adjust them..

Calliper type disc brakes are better at cooling and avoiding brake fade than drum brakes.  That is why performance cars use them.

Drum brakes are better at getting more braking torque and lining area within a given wheel size and application force.  That is why trucks use them.  Yes Mechanical slack adjuster can be a pain but Drums are more suitable as parking brakes. 

There are plenty of light vehicles with Disc / Disc or Disc / Drum brake systems that work fine.  Brake system problems are usually related to poor maintenance or design.  

I doubt there is enough difference in Tare weight or GVM between the Vigo dual cab 4x4 and a Fortuner to cause a brake problems.  There was talk of early Fortuner's over heating front brakes and excessive pad wear, particularly when non OEM wheels were used.  Maybe part of the issue was the difference in driver expectations for brake performance between a Fortuner with decent tyres and a standard pickup.   

12 hours ago, fredob43 said:

I did google it and it said that the Vigo 4x4 4 door was 2030kg kerb weight. And the Fortuner was 1985kg. Well done Google.

Might be using the same site as TA with his disc sizes. I stand corrected. Looks like my Trivia is incorrect yet again. Oh well you cant have it all. At least I do admit when I get it wrong unlike some peeps.

Ive searched to find a vigo weighing in at 2030 kerb, seems to be a unicorn as everything Iam seeing they weigh between 1800 and 1900 kg, might get the lads to drag out the corner scales tomorrow and weigh mine.

4 hours ago, transam said:

Well I can only assume the ride you were in had a problem, such as vacuum pump, as I have driven near all pickups and and  Fortuner's that all had excellent brakes, or should l say the thought never came into my head regarding naff brakes. My weee Mrs.Trans mainly drives our 4x4 Vigo and I have been in it when she has made an emergency stop, no ploblem...

My Spivo had good enough brakes for most occasions, only problem was on trips to Mai Sot through the mountains? I had brake fade several time's going there. Could have been drums overheating.

As I said before the early first produced Fortuner were crap you had to stand on the peddle to stop the things. The friend on mine that had one sold it less than 2 years old he got fed up traveling in the slow lane. Ok around town though.

Regards A.O.P post about lights, on most car here they are at best rubbish. I did change my Vigo bulbs a tad better but still not great. 

Have fitted Xenon bulbs on all the 6 lights on the Spivo must say they are fantastic. On dark country roads it's like driving during the day.

Added bonus is that the outside lane huggers get out of your way. Seems they don't like them even on dip coming up behind them. Their long gone well before you get to them.

D/M will try and find the site where I looked regarding weight.

Have found same. I Googled overall weight of Toyota Vigo selected the one that said Toyota Hilux technical specification gives a pdf on all the models 4 door 4/x4 comes out at 2032kg less for the 2 door extra cab ones. As they would be. 

Edited by fredob43

13 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Have found same. I Googled overall weight of Toyota Vigo selected the one that said Toyota Hilux technical specification gives a pdf on all the models 4 door 4/x4 comes out at 2032kg less for the 2 door extra cab ones. As they would be. 

got a link ?

Just now, transam said:

Weights are very similar BUT the Vigo 4 door can carry a lot of extra weight the Fortuner will never see...

Also carries less peeps doesn't have bigger air con's: 2. Cruse /C as standard not forgetting that everything you carry in the back gets wet unless you have a hood fitted they reduce the carrying capacity. Not as noisy, smoother + much better fitments. Leather seats. Better dash/rear vision not having to look though a post box. would you like me to carry one I did have one remember.    

Just now, fredob43 said:

Also carries less peeps doesn't have bigger air con's: 2. Cruse /C as standard not forgetting that everything you carry in the back gets wet unless you have a hood fitted they reduce the carrying capacity. Not as noisy, smoother + much better fitments. Leather seats. Better dash/rear vision not having to look though a post box. would you like me to carry one I did have one remember.    

putting a lid on a pickup reduces carrying capacity ?

1 minute ago, fredob43 said:

So your extra stuff in a Fortuner weighs 750kg...Gawd

You say a Fortuner is quieter than a Vigo yet they have the same running gear...Gawd