Whatever happened to The Avenues?

Grusa

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

HAHA, thanks but way past my bedtime.  I am not a "soccer" fan anyway. :)

Soccer fans don't spend money in bars anyhow mate. Just smoke cheap cigs and sing along merrily like a bunch of gay lads would be expected to do. Faking injury as part of the game makes real men sick. OO and God Bless you.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Soccer fans don't spend money in bars anyhow mate. Just smoke cheap cigs and sing along merrily like a bunch of gay lads would be expected to do. Faking injury as part of the game makes real men sick. OO and God Bless you.

Jerry, you really gotta let go of the Southern Man routine

On 1/19/2017 at 10:05 PM, JSixpack said:

No you didn't, not any more than all the other constructions you "know" will fail, like CentralFestival.

What's amusing is that one can't find any TVF doom predictions re: The Avenue when it opened. Which meant that it was in fact doomed. :)

A given. But it all depends on where it is and what it's selling to whom.

This is key to our mall doomsters' thinking about all other malls after RG. They violate the Only One and Got One Already rules. And the thing is, RG didn't charge them ungodly Bangkok prices, which would of course doom CentralFestival. Sad to see those bleached ruins just lying there in decay, ready to fall down just any day . . . . ;) 

You've forgotten about the delays, sometimes up to 30 min, at Royal Garden while the movie reel was rewound at a Big C N. Pattaya cinema and transported to RG for the next showing. They did give me a refund once when I walked out.

No you didn't, not any more than all the other constructions you "know" will fail, like CentralFestival.

Now you are claiming to be clairvoyant, given you have never met me so you have no idea what I know or don't know.

What's amusing is that one can't find any TVF doom predictions re: The Avenue when it opened. Which meant that it was in fact doomed. :)

:cheesy:times a million.

There was NO TVF when the Avenues opened.

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Now you are claiming to be clairvoyant, given you have never met me so you have no idea what I know or don't know.

Your track record speaks for itself. ;)

:cheesy:times a million.

There was NO TVF when the Avenues opened.

You just proved my earlier point, thank you. :cheesy:

20 hours ago, tropo said:

No, it's not related. Online shopping is killing brick & mortar stores in the US.... just like video killed the radio star. Times change. I wonder how long the movie cinema can stay open - that's probably next to go.... because there aren't many good movies to watch these days and too many people watch them for free at home these days.

The Avenue has always been dead because it is an ill-conceived shopping mall. Considering the California Wow gym space was vacant for 4 years, in hindsight they probably would have made more money if they let them stay rent free LOL. Villa Market has gone down hill fast too. (I had more to say about it, but I better be careful).

Couple of other points. Almost all failing malls in the USA are located in the rust belt or other areas w/ relatively depressed economics or changed demographics. A factor often cited related to the demographics is the safety issue. Middle class shoppers don't feel safe in the malls or in the mall parking lots, which has helped push them to online shopping. Try to find a failed upscale mall in a beach resort area where the main business is tourists. The huge Ala Moana Center in Honolulu? Doing great. That a tiny  mall is in a poor location and poorly designed and has overwhelming competition just down the street opening after it did--such purely local factors can easily explain its poor performance without resort to Global Economics and posturing.

Edited by JSixpack

21 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Robin Hood Tavern at 9 pm tonight.  DEAD. The band was playing "With or Without you".  Pretty funny.  I think tonight it was without you.

IMG_20170313_212252.jpg

IMG_20170313_212206.jpg

IMG_20170313_212223.jpg

Troll alert!

There are many bars that are slow due to the beginning of the slow season.

To me it's amazing at the number of  entrepreneurs thinking that they can make hay here.  The ones that do, and the one's that fail trying my hat's off to them.  

It's obvious that you hate this bar, so move on.

Later

Edited by Rimmer
flame

1 hour ago, JSixpack said:

Couple of other points. Almost all failing malls in the USA are located in the rust belt or other areas w/ relatively depressed economics or changed demographics. A factor often cited related to the demographics is the safety issue. Middle class shoppers don't feel safe in the malls or in the mall parking lots, which has helped push them to online shopping. Try to find a failed upscale mall in a beach resort area where the main business is tourists. The huge Ala Moana Center in Honolulu? Doing great. That a tiny  mall is in a poor location and poorly designed and has overwhelming competition just down the street opening after it did--such purely local factors can easily explain its poor performance without resort to Global Economics and posturing.

Rustbelt or depressed economics?:blink: California, Arizona, Texas are not in this category are they and yet have a fair share of closed malls.

http://deadmalls.com/stories.html#CA

But much closer to home, how does your theory fit into Singapore’s struggling shopping malls?

Singapore’s shopping centres struggling to survive

http://sea-globe.com/singapores-shopping-centres-struggling-to-survive/

Five years from now, one-third of China's shopping malls will be out of business, report says

http://shanghaiist.com/2016/09/08/one_third_shopping_malls_gone.php

Edited by Asiantravel

6 hours ago, Asiantravel said:

Rustbelt or depressed economics?:blink: California, Arizona, Texas are not in this category are they and yet have a fair share of closed malls.

http://deadmalls.com/stories.html#CA

Duh. Note that I said "almost all," which you've of course ignored as usual.

Every local area within a state doesn't have exactly the same economy, and economics and demographics often change dramatically within areas in the state. :blink:  (Cf. the changing tourist demographic within Pattaya itself.) Moreover, the same poor location, poor design, and overwhelming competition from another retail outlet (Walmart comes to mind) can occur within a locality within a state, even within a street. And you haven't found within those states "a failed upscale mall in a beach resort area where the main business is tourists," again ignoring my point--making it not worth attempting to reason with you.

But much closer to home, how does your theory fit into Singapore’s struggling shopping malls?

You've managed to confuse Singapore and China with the USA (and with Pattaya of course). Here's your question, which has been answered with "No."

On 3/8/2017 at 0:46 PM, Asiantravel said:

I wonder if we will see the same phenomena regarding shopping centres in Pattaya  that is being seen in  America where up to 1/3 of some shopping malls have been shuttered up because they have lost their tenants.

And now because of this a new crisis has developed which they have named collateral crisis-- i.e. the assets supporting a debt are no longer worth the loan balance.

As you aren't competent to argue the USA - Pattaya mall comparison (or the Miami - Pattaya condo comparison), the same myopic arguments for all the other countries in the world (lot of them, too) will merely lead to the same tedious result and further off topic posts.

Point is that the failure of The Avenue is easily explained from local circumstance without resort to global posturing. Even an Au Bon Pain, clearly visible, couldn't make it over there. Only thing missed by anyone is California Wow.

Dumping a bunch of irrelevant weblinks doesn't make one right or an expert, and they can't substitute for actual thinking. If you can't see all the differences, as you couldn't in the most obvious case, it's not my job to explain them all to you one by one. But as you know a broken clock is right twice a day. Could, say, online business start to significantly detract from Pattaya's BMs? Yep. Could Pattaya be overbuilt? Yep. Could a meteor strike the earth and wipe out all life? Yep. The forecasting possibilities are just endless. :smile: 

Edited by JSixpack

• 6 months later...
49 minutes ago, SheungWan said:
17 hours ago, bleble said:

The best gym is there now !

You mean the one without aircon?

It probably is the best non-airconditioned gym in Pattaya, but the competition is rough, so that's not saying much.

44 minutes ago, bleble said:

Fitness 7 has aircon and is one of the best gyms in Pattaya, whatever Mrs universe of this forum is going to tell you ! Especially since they are talking about what they don't know !

May I recommend bodybuilding.com. You'll find thousands of other people to argue with, with a similar infantile mindset that you display every time you post here about Fitness7. I built my own gym to get away from people like you.

Edited by tropo

38 minutes ago, tropo said:

May I recommend bodybuilding.com. You'll find thousands of other people to argue with, with a similar infantile mindset that you display every time you post here about Fitness7. I built my own gym to get away from people like you.

Yes, and you needed 40 years to discover that having a home gym was the best solution ! We now know how quick you are to understand things...

1 hour ago, bleble said:

Yes, and you needed 40 years to discover that having a home gym was the best solution ! We now know how quick you are to understand things...

You debate like an infant. In 40 years I've owned a home gym 4 times, in 4 different countries. The first one was in 1979. It's not always convenient to have a home gym as it's expensive and takes quite a bit of space. It's not easy to move around with it, but if I have the space and opportunity I go for it. My 2 cardio machines alone are worth over 100k, so it does take some commitment. It works out far more expensive than public gyms if you're buying decent equipment.

As for you, someone says something negative about Fitness7 and all you offer in return are childish insults. Get over it! Fitness7 is a very mediocre gym and that's before one discusses the lack of air conditioning. I made a quick review about it last year in late August during their promotional period before the official opening. No one commented on the gym after that for months. No one is talking about this gym. It's just not very popular. It was a disappointment for most people who were hoping for a good gym.

In reality, you should be happy it's not popular as it will never be overcrowded. 

1 hour ago, bleble said:

100k hahahahaha, what a commitment ! hahahaha

My car costs 8 MB and I would not even call it like this ! hahahahaha !

I won't argue anymore about Fitness7, champions like you know everything and will be happy dying knowing everything, so I give up the stupid chat. Fitness 7 AIR CON ROOM is big enough for many, but not for champions like you ! I have understood ! Thank you master !

But really, if I was a loser talking like you about what I do not even know, I would prefer to kill myself ! You haven't been there since opening and you keep talking like a Rtded, so who is the infant here ?!

There is a small room with air-con so they can say they have air-con but the main exercise area has no air-con.

I can confirm that the  Pattaya passport office is still at The Avenue.

there is an on-line cue reservation system ...but you need to book a week in advance !

so my wife and I waited about 3 hours  she got number 225 so quite a few people going there.

they had a sign up recruiting for staff urgently...immediate start..but must go train in Bangkok first.

P_20170918_125207.thumb.jpg.b273736afb245c6ff0bbf15d92781f8a.jpg

The Cinema and Bowling alley are still there   cheap week day cinema prices.

P_20170918_123840.thumb.jpg.030731308fbb1048e9443492440873f9.jpg

Villa and fitness center already mentioned

most of 1st floor is empty.  

ground floor temporary stalls.

P_20170918_134601.thumb.jpg.6b952244577687dc3fa2a8268bbe2615.jpg

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Club Ellui opening soon at Avenue.

This is a private club based out of South Korea.

Should be interesting to see how it does.

Seeing as it's a tourist area, it'll be interesting if they can get enough locals to turn up, unless it's going to be a pick up joint for freelancers.

Time will tell.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seeing as it's a tourist area, it'll be interesting if they can get enough locals to turn up, unless it's going to be a pick up joint for freelancers.

Time will tell.

Yeah not sure.

I doubt you and me can just walk in the place. It is a private (appears to be Asian mostly) club I took a peek in today and I think it will be hiso/probably expensive.

Not sure if it will even be Falang friendly.