With Aleppo battle won, Syria and Russia look to 'next stage'

rooster59

With Aleppo battle won, Syria and Russia look to 'next stage'

606x341_353194.jpg

The rubble of war is being cleared from the streets of eastern Aleppo, after the last groups of rebels were removed from the city this week.

The Syrian army announced on Friday that it had fully retaken control of Aleppo for the first time since 2012.

One Syrian said: “We have not been here (Aleppo) for five years. Our joy is very great. After the army liberated the city, we came here to see our homes.”

On Friday, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad thanked Russian President Vladimir Putin for having been Syria’s main partner in the battle, and said the city’s fall had opened the door to a political process.

Putin said on Friday: “The next stage …. should be an agreement on a ceasefire for the whole of Syria’s territory and right after it the beginning of talks on political settlement.”

Putin also said that Russia, Iran, Turkey and Assad’s government were set to launch new round of peace talks, set to begin in January in Kazakhstan.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-12-25

The most significant event to shape the Syrian war as well as the mass importation of refugees from NA and the ME in general is due to start tomorrow. I am referring to the Civil March for Aleppo. This is when thousands of far left politically leaning individuals will march on mass from Germany to Syria presumably to prove that tolerance, love and respect for fellow human beings conquers all and will end all animosity and end all wars. In reality, many of us have been praying for such an event to take place ie the far left and their political masters being immersed in such an alien culture as to quickly understand that some ideologies and totally incompatible with western Christian values. This will be interesting one way or the other. Hopefully my pessimism will be unfounded.

Wow.  This will be interesting to follow.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/12/09/a-suicidal-civil-march-to-aleppo.html

With more than 50 residents being killed per day by everything from airstrikes to barrel bombs to chemical gas, Syria’s Aleppo is not a city most people living in the safety of western Europe would seek to visit at the present time.

Yet that is exactly what a group of Berlin-based activists is currently planning to do, in a march on foot across the European continent to the Turkish-Syrian border, and thence onward to the besieged center stage of the 21st century’s deadliest conflict.

7 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

any ideas how the reception to the crowd of whom many will be openly gay, and women dressed improperly will be? I am pessimistic over this, it will likely not end the war but there is every chance of a fast education in hateful ideologies to the liberal marchers. I'm not sure they will even make it all the way through Turkey to the Syrian border.

12 hours ago, jaidam said:

The most significant event to shape the Syrian war as well as the mass importation of refugees from NA and the ME in general is due to start tomorrow. I am referring to the Civil March for Aleppo. This is when thousands of far left politically leaning individuals will march on mass from Germany to Syria presumably to prove that tolerance, love and respect for fellow human beings conquers all and will end all animosity and end all wars. In reality, many of us have been praying for such an event to take place ie the far left and their political masters being immersed in such an alien culture as to quickly understand that some ideologies and totally incompatible with western Christian values. This will be interesting one way or the other. Hopefully my pessimism will be unfounded.

Incompatible with even western secular values of you are talking about IS.   But who did they defeat, IS or pro democracy rebels.  Assad is no angel.  And that is an understatement.

Craig posted

Wow.  This will be interesting to follow.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/12/09/a-suicidal-civil-march-to-aleppo.html

///

Hope they make it.

2000 miles +  .... that's four camino de santiagos with religion in the backdrop and mountains in front of them. Waiting for a gofundme message. 

Edited by optad

21 hours ago, jaidam said:

any ideas how the reception to the crowd of whom many will be openly gay, and women dressed improperly will be? I am pessimistic over this, it will likely not end the war but there is every chance of a fast education in hateful ideologies to the liberal marchers. I'm not sure they will even make it all the way through Turkey to the Syrian border.

The organiser is a married woman with two children, perhaps you can provide proof on how many are gay or will be "dressed inappropriately". If the people on this demonstration march manage to reach some of the Slavic countries they intend to pass though they will be at risk from the right wing groups you admire.