What is the "stigma" about tank tops.

joeyg

10 minutes ago, kowpot said:

"Samlor" drivers years ago were required by law to wear shorts, and many of them wore tank tops. This made them distinguishable from more wealthy trustworthy Thai's.  A respectable Thai man would never be seen wearing shorts in public or a tank top for that matter. Even though there are very few Samlors around anymore, except for small village towns. The tradition carries on.

That's an interesting piece of information.  In the old days many Thai woman only wore sarongs and no upper body clothing.  Ah the old days... 

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, 55Jay said:

I think on the beach and within reasonable proximity of it, they are OK.  Even in a beach town, once you get further inland, in "normal" town area (excluding Dark Side Pattaya), not so much.  That's just how I view it, even being from San Diego.  I don't wear them, don't even own one.  

That's fair.  I try to never go West of third road.  It's like "the 5" in San Diego... 

2 minutes ago, joeyg said:

I don't "get" it.

I lived in San Diego a lot of years.  It's a nice, cosmo sort of city.  But those who know it well also recognize that it's sort of a racist town.  Not in the same way as in the deep south, but it's there, simmering.  

12 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Seriously?  The west is just as judgmental, if not more so.  You just don't know it. 

Not in San Diego lived there 30 years.  Many times I'd just come in from surfing go to a somewhat upscale party in cut offs and a tee shirt.  People thought it was cool.  They were friends and knew me well though.

16 minutes ago, kowpot said:

"Samlor" drivers years ago were required by law to wear shorts, and many of them wore tank tops. This made them distinguishable from more wealthy trustworthy Thai's.  A respectable Thai man would never be seen wearing shorts in public or a tank top for that matter. Even though there are very few Samlors around anymore, except for small village towns. The tradition carries on.

Then why do all the school kids wear shorts if Thais don't like them as the same for the girls which majority wear shorts?? I am confused?

4 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I lived in San Diego a lot of years.  It's a nice, cosmo sort of city.  But those who know it well also recognize that it's sort of a racist town.  Not in the same way as in the deep south, but it's there, simmering.  

Never noticed that at all.  I take all people on a one to one basis.  Skin color is not a factor.  Now out in Fallbrook (former KKK strong hold), Riverside or up North in Orange County sure.

At the beach everybody was pretty chill.

2 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Not in San Diego lived there 30 years.  Many times I'd just come in from surfing go to a somewhat upscale party in cut offs and a tee shirt.  People thought it was cool.  They were friends and knew me well though.

Yes, the blonde/surfer types always get a pass.  I grew up envying you dudes...

9 hours ago, tropo said:

LOL> only wear tank tops if you're near a beach. How many meters from the beach would it become inappropriate in your world? Too bad for people living far from the sea.

I don't go West or 3rd road.  The rest of town is all beach to me...:cool:

Singlets, vests or wife beaters are OK for the beach and pool side, particularly so if one has a fairly trim body and it is reasonably tight fitting. Unfortunately, due to a disproportionate amount of aging Aussie (and faux Aussie wannabe) malingerers in LOS, their penchant to wear an old and seriously baggy one on every conceivable (and inconceivable) occasion leads to the rather unfortunate and obnoxious public exposure of leathery skin, straggly, drippy oxter hair, nascent man boobs and wiry white tufts on the chest that mostly match the ones already sprouting out of their ears and nostrils. The worst offenders are the ones with their 'ripped' gym singlets with the t-back that tend to show the bits with stretched or blocked pores, zits, blackheads and (not infrequently) suppurating boils where they haven't been able to wash properly for the last 10 years or when they last had 'lady take care', whichever is longest.

2 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

Don't know about California,  East Coast they are reserved for low class

Italians and Puerto Ricans.

I was raised in New Jersey in an Italian family all the men wore them including my grand father.  We were far from low class.  Middle class for sure.  Don't remember seeing PRs wearing them.

The only low class thing is your statement.

Edited by joeyg

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Singlets, vests or wife beaters are OK for the beach and pool side, particularly so if one has a fairly trim body and it is reasonably tight fitting. Unfortunately, due to a disproportionate amount of aging Aussie (and faux Aussie wannabe) malingerers in LOS, their penchant to wear an old and seriously baggy one on every conceivable (and inconceivable) occasion leads to the rather unfortunate and obnoxious public exposure of leathery skin, straggly, drippy oxter hair, nascent man boobs and wiry white tufts on the chest that mostly match the ones already sprouting out of their ears and nostrils. The worst offenders are the ones with their 'ripped' gym singlets with the t-back that tend to show the bits with stretched or blocked pores, zits, blackheads and (not infrequently) suppurating boils where they haven't been able to wash properly for the last 10 years or when they last had 'lady take care', whichever is longest.

I tend to agree...

22 minutes ago, joeyg said:

That's an interesting piece of information.  In the old days many Thai woman only wore sarongs and no upper body clothing.  Ah the old days... 

Ah yes, the old northeast English saying of, "Tits oot fer the lads!"

titsoot.jpg

20 minutes ago, Beats56 said:

Then why do all the school kids wear shorts if Thais don't like them as the same for the girls which majority wear shorts?? I am confused?

Kids have little concern about social convention.  Just comfort..  I see the groups of boy scouts and girlscouts wearing shorts as well.  Also I have seen plenty of Thai guys and even some ladies wearing tank tops and shorts in the neighboor hood in Samut Prakan the year I lived there.

17 hours ago, joeyg said:

I can assure you I'm only slightly bigger than average.  No six pack yet but 4 sets of 60 second planks every morning, 75 push ups, 60 squats, 60 calf raises plus yoga and Qi Kung.  I hate working out but I love the results.  Below the waist.  God just made me that way.  You were very well behaved please continue.

Well this is the farang pub and Joey is having some fun while entertaining the likes of me with his eloquent responses :)

6 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

they are often quite sexy when girls wear them.  Most of the time the guys that wear them are not physically fit, and the allure of showing ones hairy armpits eludes most people

I think your right.  How ever if your in good shape, keep the pits trimmed,  I think "showing off" the results of your efforts does not go unnoticed.  In a good way.  Besides it's the beach dude. Sun and cool breezes...:cool:

2 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Keep your smelly armpits covered !!!

No... :cheesy:  And actually they really don't smell.  The secret is rubbing in a little bit of baking soda.  Knocks out 100% of BO try it.  Sometimes a girl will comment how a guy, guys stink.  I ask how about me and raise my arm.  Surprisingly most will take a wiff of my pit.  They just say "no you smell good"

Another important thing is I don't eat dead, putrefying burnt animal carcasses.  Have a very clean almost vegan diet for 44 years.  It really does make a big difference on how you smell.  And taste!!! :clap2:

Try it!

9 minutes ago, paulsingle said:

Well this is the farang pub and Joey is having some fun while entertaining the likes of me with his eloquent responses :)

"Well, thank ya vury much"  It is for fun and going to nail the work out soon.  Got up a little "late" today.

17 hours ago, joeyg said:

Is there anyone here that wares tank tops often?

I do. Should I be ashamed? 

Mostly at home or for the beach.

I've popped into Tesco Lotus and Big C in a tank top. Is that very bad?

My shorts are above the knee - I guess that's pretty outrageous :(

At 59 I'm not sure if I'm old but I have trimmed the hair under my arms which hopefully mitigates the revulsion precipitated by my slobbish apparel.

6 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Yeah great fun talking about tank tops, exhilarating read guys keep it up and keep em fresh. Proper men in town!

I'm guessing you are telling us you are a "proper man?"  Specially for you sugar...:jap: