Ship thrusters to be used in flood drainage

webfact

Ship thrusters to be used in flood drainage

ss.jpg

NAKHON SI THAMMARAT, 9th January 2017 (NNT) – Thirty thrusters are being transported to the southern province of Nakhon Si Thammarat to assist local authorities in flood draining efforts. 

The Royal Thai Navy is shipping 30 thrusters to Nakhon Si Thammarat where they will be used to push the flood water into the ocean. Another 20 thrusters will also be sent to the inundated region soon, according to the Naval Dockyard Department. 

In the meantime, although the flood water in Yala has begun to subside, it is still far from safe for local residents to commute. The provincial public health office has issued a warning concerning water-borne diseases, such as leptospirosis, conjunctivitis, food poisoning, skin diseases, and dengue. 

The Meteorological Department has reported that the southern part of Thailand will continue to experience heavy rainfall especially in Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chumphon, Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phatthalung, Ranong, and Phang Nga.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-01-09

6 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Might have to eat humble pie here......apparently there is such a thing and supposedly to be used in Texas to increase water flow..wait and see

I like to know more because all the member here always said it was impossible and would not work. One would think that they are a bit smarter in the USA (in general). So there might be merit to this but I haven't seen the science behind it. 

Thrust away, dudes.

However, water seeks its own level.  If the water level the thrusted water is being pumped in to is same or higher than the level at the pumps, then it don't do no good, except for the people selling the thrusters and those selling the fuel to power them.

Bkk is sinking while waters are rising.  You can't outfox mother nature.  If Bkk city fathers had a few brain cells working, they would be making tangible plans to move to higher ground.   Better than that, would be new 'satellite cities' - each with specialties:  government, manufacturing/business, education, sangha, etc.  

In God we thrust.............

The containers on the trucks look quite small, so perhaps they are just planning on a low powered thrust?. 

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=ship+thrusters&rlz=1C1GNAM_enTH684TH684&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjNnum4irTRAhXJNI8KHed_CBoQsAQIKg&biw=1360&bih=638

I have failed dismally to find any online reference to something like flood water thrusters (Texas or otherwise).

The only image in an image search is the one shown in the article.

A search for Flow Thruster Boat, as it is described in another source, provided an image of the same object being loaded on a ship in Thailand.

Everything else is the usual power unit for boats and ships.   Perhaps this is a detachable unit for that purpose?

If this object is purpose designed for flood water removal it is perhaps only effective in Thailand, and only then when the government has decreed that it is effective.

49 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

If the water level the thrusted water is being pumped in to is same or higher than the level at the pumps, then it don't do no good

I don't agree.

It's sure possible to pump water into a basin which has the same level...If you have a dam with the same level of water at 2 sides and put a row of thrusters on one side it's possible to push water through an opening in the dam. Just make sure it won't flow back at another spot.

Just look at the waves behind a longtailboat, it's elevated water..Thrusters are more powerfull and will create higher waves and a strong flow.

28 minutes ago, Enoon said:

I have failed dismally to find any online reference to something like flood water thrusters (Texas or otherwise).

A search for Flow Thruster Boat, as it is described in another source, provided an image of the same object being loaded on a ship in Thailand.

Everything else is the usual power unit for boats and ships.   Perhaps this is a detachable unit for that purpose?

If this object is purpose designed for flood water removal it is perhaps only effective in Thailand, and only then when the government has decreed that it is effective.

https://www.google.ch/patents/US7419334

I found this piece....not sure whether it's actually been used tho'

I remember the video of them tying boats up to piers and bridge columns and trying to push the water back to the sea during the Bangkok flood flooding a few years back.

Obviously the translation of "Thrurster" is confusing, a ships bow Thruster , not a vehicle big enough to carry one.

"Thrusters" are commonly installed on a lot of vessels working offshore, the shipyards in China have huge stocks of them ready to fit to all the Vessels they have built that "buyers" cannot afford to pay for due to a very depressed market!

They are a lot bigger than these examples! there not going to move a lot of water in a hurry! sure there is a rental fee to be paid regardless!

^ chrisinth, the Thai's don't exactly have a history of innovation, do you really think they have thought this out, or are you displaying admirable "Thainess" and being kind :shock1:

Edited by CGW

You should consider that in LaLa Land anything is possible.  These news items or comments of fantasy are directed at the general population which as is internationally accepted, falls very short with respect to educational standards.

It is OK for the vast majority of well educated Farangs to cast doubts on the merit of pushing water out to sea ( is that high tide or low tide) or even noting that it is mighty difficult to push water uphill,   but the general populace do not know that so hence basically they tend to believe anything another Thai tells them.

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

Look up "axial flow impeller".  They're used all over the world to move water at a high rate and low delta P.  They add energy to the water in the form of velocity, meaning the water gets to where it's going faster.

This is actually a proven concept, and not a bad idea.  Whether it's been properly engineered for the specific application?  I'd have to look at the numbers.

1 minute ago, CGW said:

^ chrisinth, the Thai's don't exactly have a history of innovation, do you really think they have thought this out, or are you displaying admirable "Thainess" and being kind 

I think all debate would stop if everyone knew whose idea it was originally to use these in Thailand.  

Lese majeste and all...

4 minutes ago, CGW said:

^ As I was implying, excellent idea with every chance of success 

Have to wonder why these were available? its not something you keep in stock in case you "may" need one!

I've seen them several times in the more stagnant klongs of Bangkok where they wanted to get the water moving.  Seems like it usually had something to do with the lingering odor when the water wasn't moving along toward the big river like it should.   At least that's what they should have been doing, based on the smell.

24 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

You should consider that in LaLa Land anything is possible.  These news items or comments of fantasy are directed at the general population which as is internationally accepted, falls very short with respect to educational standards.

It is OK for the vast majority of well educated Farangs to cast doubts on the merit of pushing water out to sea ( is that high tide or low tide) or even noting that it is mighty difficult to push water uphill,   but the general populace do not know that so hence basically they tend to believe anything another Thai tells them.

Well i'm not a Thai and i guarantee you that it sure is possible to push water up a hill, if you use enough power that is.

Also a whole row of boats in a river connected to piers will make the river flow faster. Especially if high power motors are used.