Rao Tum Dai: Thai could be world's new english, Prayuth says

snoop1130

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In his speech he said, If you just do what I say, the new common language will be Thai.

That means if it is not being so with lets say 5 year, the students did not do what he said. 

“The most commonly used language today is of course English. If it was Thai, we’d be a great power already. Is there a chance? Yes. If you do what I say, one day Thai will be the world’s lingua franca,” Prayuth said.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2017/01/12/rao-tum-dai-thai-could-be-world-new-english-prayuth-says/

On 1/12/2017 at 9:14 PM, Reigntax said:

Thai will never be an international language. The option is learn English or get left behind or stay in the dark ages.

There is more chance of the national Thai language being Chinese than Thai ever being considered internationally suitable or practiced.

Thank you for this explanation.  I now understand why all the online translation services make no sense when they translate from Thai to English

On 1/12/2017 at 6:43 PM, Reigntax said:

Really, Thai will become as popular as English?

English is a language, that when spoken correctly is exact, unable to be misinterpreted and not open to misunderstanding.

Thai is a language of vagueness, non specific, best fit words. The south of the country's language is different from the north. 

Thanks ..This explains why the online translating services seem to do such a terrible job

On 1/13/2017 at 1:43 AM, Reigntax said:

Really, Thai will become as popular as English?

English is a language, that when spoken correctly is exact, unable to be misinterpreted and not open to misunderstanding.

Thai is a language of vagueness, non specific, best fit words. The south of the country's language is different from the north. 

We saw her duck.  I'm not sure if we saw her dive to the floor or if we saw one of the animals she keeps.

He fed her cat food.  Was he that stingy to his wife or was he a doting husband keen to take care of her cat when she was away?

Look at the dog with one eye. Don't stare at it, just glance, it will bite you. Poor dog, I wonder what happened. Probably peering through a door that was suddenly opened.

Thais is non specific? Really? How good is your Thai? Try reading some books on law.

The southern language is different to the north ( or Issan perhaps more). Absolutely, but they have central Thai taught in all schools with a common written language. 

Language varies with all regions and classes- 'eh up, I said to our kid, get yer skates on'  Yorkshire working class, a brother telling his younger brother to hurry up.

' Come on John,  do get a move on, Dad's waiting in the driveway.'   Surrey middle class  a boy telling his brother to hurry up, Dad has started the Benz  and is ready to leave their detached house.

Our PM may be doing a good job after all

I have just sat with a Central Banker who from what he said is not the same as a commercial banker

So I was lost

Basel came out I added Switzerland, to which he said no it uses swiss francs but it is a country on its own.

Then HK came out where he is based

I do not know about central banks and investing in other small countries but then BIS sort of arrived

That one I knew as the bank set up to repatriate German gains in WW1 and WW2

The point

He tells me our PM is doing a wonderful job in getting investment flowing into Thailand and the WB and others have great confidence in our lovely PM

So if that is true Our PM is a genius and we should all put our hands together to say thanks

If not this guy is scamming and the people he is with need to be told

He also says he just did a big deal in Thailand

If you know more about Central banks and what they do please say

Just do not want these farmers to lose money

He is from London

He also said if I gave him £2billion in one year it would turn £100billion

Did my alarm bells start to ring

You may know more about central bankers hope so

I am full of respect and or admiration for PM Prayuth, all the Thais to unite behind him, by mentioning in his own views possible Thai language ambitions to conquer the World, reminds me of the same with France originally the Diplomatic language but no longer today English is the Master of the Research, Technology, Trading, airlines, shipping, insurance, international company laws etc...of the Globe established naturally for decades already.

Wishful thinking to please a Thai audience of non fluent speaking English or plain sense of humour of an earlier April the Fool.

Edited by brd

1 hour ago, frangkila said:

There should be a test done for long-term expat residents here. If you have lived here for 5 years+ but cannot speak more than 50 Thai words, you should be immediately deported and so on.

Know too many words -- prison. Clearly up to no good. Possibly a spy. Will sell state secrets like pad Thai abroad. Cannot!

Edited by Jingthing

What ever you may think of him, he is not a stupid man.  He is just playing to the audience and their pride.  Look, Trump promised to build a huge wall between Mexico and the US which Mecico would pay for.  Clearly he does not believe that statement either.

On 1/14/2017 at 1:15 AM, sanemax said:

You just do not understand, the point was to get Thai children to learn English

Lemme see if I understand your comment: Our Good Uncle says Thai will become a dominant world language to .... get Thai kids to learn English?? Brilliant deduction, Watson.

1 minute ago, bill1369 said:

Lemme see if I understand your comment: Our Good Uncle says Thai will become a dominant world language to .... get Thai kids to learn English?? Brilliant deduction, Watson.

He didnt say that the Thai language will become dominant .

He said in  a humorous  way .

Something like *Thai isnt a World language , but if you stick with me (as President) then it may become one , so, until then, keep learning English* 

11 hours ago, sanemax said:

He didnt say that the Thai language will become dominant .

He said in  a humorous  way .

Something like *Thai isnt a World language , but if you stick with me (as President) then it may become one , so, until then, keep learning English* 

none of the reports said he said that you are making it up AGAIN to suit your bias

“The most commonly used language today is of course English. If it was Thai, we’d be a great power already. Is there a chance? Yes. If you do what I say, one day Thai will be the world’s lingua franca,” Prayuth said.

“[Thai] has 44 characters … we have tones and more vowels than English. One word has many meanings. This is the pride Thais have built,” he explained.

Edited by LannaGuy

2 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

none of the reports said he said that you are making it up AGAIN to suit your bias

“[Thai] has 44 characters … we have tones and more vowels than English. One word has many meanings. This is the pride Thais have built,” he explained.

I am not making it up, please stop accusing me of making things up , I even stated that he said "something like" and I was told that by a Thai person who listened to all what he said  , in the context of the whole interview and understood the Thai which it was being spoken in, rather than just a few sentences picked out and translated into English .

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

I am not making it up, please stop accusing me of making things up , I even stated that he said "something like" and I was told that by a Thai person who listened to all what he said  , in the context of the whole interview and understood the Thai which it was being spoken in, rather than just a few sentences picked out and translated into English .

The evidence we have is what is written in reports from various news sources NOT what is said by your biased 'Thai friend'. Please state FACTS and I even copied it for you. I just want you to stop posting stuff as ''fact' when it is a Thai just telling you what she/he thought they 'heard'. The journalists were there (more than one source) and wrote down what was SAID.  Thank you.

2 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

The evidence we have is what is written in reports from various news sources NOT what is said by your biased 'Thai friend'. Please state FACTS and I even copied it for you. I just want you to stop posting stuff as ''fact' when it is a Thai just telling you what she/he thought they 'heard'. The journalists were there (more than one source) and wrote down what was SAID.  Thank you.

Please provide a link to the whole interview and then we can decide , my friend was basing her opinion on the whole interview, you are basing your option on a few translated sentences .

You are clamming that my friend was "biased" ,what makes you say that ?

You are telling me not to listen to real peoples opinion and believe everything the media tells us, .

Do you realise that much of the media coverage is biased and they have an agenda  and they spin things to suit their agenda?

You need to start thinking for yourself , rather than being told what to think by a journalist

46 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Please provide a link to the whole interview and then we can decide , my friend was basing her opinion on the whole interview, you are basing your option on a few translated sentences .

You are clamming that my friend was "biased" ,what makes you say that ?

You are telling me not to listen to real peoples opinion and believe everything the media tells us, .

Do you realise that much of the media coverage is biased and they have an agenda  and they spin things to suit their agenda?

You need to start thinking for yourself , rather than being told what to think by a journalist

DYOR this story is from multiple sources and yours from your 'Thai friend' my 'Thai friends' tell me this is what he said. The media CANNOT say what they think as we are living in 'unelected' times or hadn't you noticed?  put your Rose Coloured Specs away for a change!

thai_language.jpg

3 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

DYOR this story is from multiple sources and yours from your 'Thai friend' my 'Thai friends' tell me this is what he said. The media CANNOT say what they think as we are living in 'unelected' times or hadn't you noticed?  put your Rose Coloured Specs away for a change!

Was this story from "Multiple sources" ?

Was it even reported by any reputable Thai media ?

It seems like Khaosod reported it and a few other blogs copied what they reported

Apart from the OP , which other sources reported this story independently, rather than just copying this OP

46 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Was this story from "Multiple sources" ?

Was it even reported by any reputable Thai media ?

It seems like Khaosod reported it and a few other blogs copied what they reported

Apart from the OP , which other sources reported this story independently, rather than just copying this OP

you claim your 'Thai friend' for one?  or are you making this up?  VoiceTV is another  DYOR

5 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

you claim your 'Thai friend' for one?  or are you making this up?  VoiceTV is another  DYOR

My Thai friend was commenting on this story from this source .

You claimed that this story was from "multiply sources" , I did a web search and only this one source came up .

So, did you make the "multiple sources " bit up ?

6 hours ago, sanemax said:

My Thai friend was commenting on this story from this source .

You claimed that this story was from "multiply sources" , I did a web search and only this one source came up .

So, did you make the "multiple sources " bit up ?

well my 'Thai friend' actually listened and understood what your hero said and 'my Thai friend' thinks you are an arrogant, pompous ****  and I GAVE YOU two sources and you gave me???  'Your Thai friend'      :w00t: