Do you spend an embarrassing amount of time hanging out at the malls?

Jingthing

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my ex gf goes to future park every weekend, spends hours there with her family, she has a card that gets her into a VIP area where she can sit and get free water and watch thai tv with no sound. she loves doing this, looks forward to it, like many thais she doesnt have  a hobby or any interests beyond; mobile phone, shopping mall and buffet meals at the shopping mall. we are not together any more.

I see it all the time. If I was the manager of such places I'd ask anybody who was just "hanging around" to either buy something or move on and let " paying customers" have the tables. 

I believe they're are restaurants that do not charge for food consumed but by time at the tables....am all for that...would get rid of all those guys who sit for hours over an empty cup of coffee while proper customers can' t get a seat at a table.

7 hours ago, tropo said:

I don't hang out at the mall, I go there to shop. If I don't need to shop I don't go there. You see a lot of older farang hanging out with all their elderly friends, and it's kind of sad to see. Is this what their life has come to?

Asking why many members spend all their waking moments posting on here is an equally valid question. Which is a bigger waste of time? Hanging out at malls or posting all day on forums? I suppose with smartphones you can do both at the same time. Others are hanging out in bars clinging to a bottle of beer. A seemingly equally big waste of time.

The question is, what should an elderly retired person be doing that is more fulfilling? It's one thing to criticise people for not seeming to have a life, but what should they be doing? Their budget is an important consideration when asking these questions too. I'm sure most of us could find better things to do with more funds.

I don't hang out in the malls but make use of them once in a while. I am quite happy a big mall was build near where I live it helped me get better quality foods and other things. I don't really waste my time there I just go there to eat and shop and then go back, as for posting on this forum I do while working so its relaxation.

But why should people who are retired have meaningful things to do if they like the mall or the beer bar what is wrong with that ? If they like to go out and help orphans or whatever let them do so. It is their life they can do what they want to do. 

As for budget, there are plenty of things people can do on a small budget, traveling inside Thailand does not require much funds (if you have a lot of time). I like fishing and it was a really inexpensive hobby (once you got the rods and know a few local ponds but again is it better than hanging in a beer bar ? health wise probably.. probably also cheaper.. but we don't all like the same things). Planning to visit an indoor wake-boarding / sufring park.. normal wake-boarding seems fun too.. but i am not that agile.. but still fun to try. Been doing paintball too (but nicer with a group). I think there are plenty of things to do (at least around pattyaya and Bangkok). Truth be told because I am not retired I don't have much time to waste. 

I love going to the mall. Air conditioning, beautiful women, shiny things, expensive things, tasty things, different smells, people watching, variety of food, cinema, and get some exercise. I can burn up a good part of day going from MBK to Central World.

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

Why would someone go to a mall just for the Air Con ?

Perhaps to save money.   Rather than sitting at home paying for AC, they go out and use the Malls as a cool (as in temp) spot to pass the day.

My condo management had to put up a sign telling people that using the showers in the pool changing room was only for people actually using the pool or the gym.  Some residents rather than showering in their own condos, were going to the changing rooms and using the showers (and free shampoo / body wash) to save on water / electricity and shampoo.

2 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Perhaps to save money.   Rather than sitting at home paying for AC, they go out and use the Malls as a cool (as in temp) spot to pass the day.

My condo management had to put up a sign telling people that using the showers in the pool changing room was only for people actually using the pool or the gym.  Some residents rather than showering in their own condos, were going to the changing rooms and using the showers (and free shampoo / body wash) to save on water / electricity and shampoo.

So cheap charlies then.

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:
3 minutes ago, seancbk said:

So cheap charlies then.

Exactly.    Although as another poster commented earlier, for many retirees life must be pretty boring.  Sitting in a condo on your own all day (no matter how nice) gets boring.  

I can understand why some of these old boys choose to go out and wander around a mall, people watching.

The malls have a very important function in cityliving. The Thai cities, due to many reasons, are rather underdeveloped, surely if you think in terms of tourist infrastructure. No public places, no parks, no walkways and in general, no much to see and experience in a day-by-day living. In the malls, men can not only buy things but can enjoy a cup of coffee, read a newspaper in a pleasent climate, talk to each other and look the other people passing by: the normal activity an average retired western, person wants. Of course, there are many other preferences but, mostly the European expats, the ones used to live in mature developed cities, find the malls an indispensable element in a poor Thai urban environment. Nevertheless, the silant Iisan village or the Pattaya mental dessert is also convenient for some ...   

Just now, seancbk said:

Exactly.    Although as another poster commented earlier, for many retirees life must be pretty boring.  Sitting in a condo on your own all day (no matter how nice) gets boring.  

I can understand why some of these old boys choose to go out and wander around a mall, people watching.

Yeah sitting in a condo all day long would do my head, luckily I can afford a house that has a nice yard with covered alfresco and a swimming pool.

21 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

So cheap charlies then.

People that have little money are not cheap charlies, they are just less fortunate than the 'loadsa moneys' like yourself and have the good sense to try to live within their means.

Actually just reread the post you were responding to and yes the free shower in public facility brigade do indeed let themselves fall into the 'cc' category!

Edited by gmac
Re-read post.

I go in some weeks everyday for coffee and donuts and then donot go back for w eek or more. Just sit and watch people. for me is to get out of the house and be around people. In Canada the joke is that old men have nothing else to do but go to the mall. For me it is a reality.

For a break from the malls  I go to my favorite coffee shop and sit. Same thing different place.

All my chores at home are done by 8 in the morning what else is there to do.

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It's a place. 

If I lived in Oaxaca I'd go to the Zocalo.

That zocalo is a great place to hang out. Not really comparable to CentralFestival, however. :smile:

Lawrence in Oaxaca: A Quest for the Novelist in Mexico

As for malls I like the upscale variety but I've always seemed to have something other to do than hang out in 'em. Eat, have coffee, shop--sometimes, yes.

9 hours ago, tropo said:

I don't hang out at the mall, I go there to shop. If I don't need to shop I don't go there. You see a lot of older farang hanging out with all their elderly friends, and it's kind of sad to see. Is this what their life has come to?

Asking why many members spend all their waking moments posting on here is an equally valid question. Which is a bigger waste of time? Hanging out at malls or posting all day on forums? I suppose with smartphones you can do both at the same time. Others are hanging out in bars clinging to a bottle of beer. A seemingly equally big waste of time.

The question is, what should an elderly retired person be doing that is more fulfilling? It's one thing to criticise people for not seeming to have a life, but what should they be doing? Their budget is an important consideration when asking these questions too. I'm sure most of us could find better things to do with more funds.

While there are a number of things you can do. Take up cooking, a little gardening,  biking, tennis golf or just shooting hoops at the park , read a good book at the park or just go for a walk.

These other items cost more money. Go to the gym, get a metal detector, small wood working projects. There are plenty of things you can do if you want to. Better to be active engaged in something than sitting in a bar.

Didn't do malls so much at home (London) but they're pretty essential here especially if you buy electrical stuff and prefer not to buy your clothing from Big C or Tesco.

Luckily, some of the best malls in Bangkok are around here - Emporium, EM Quartier, Terminal 21 but, even if I had the time, they're not places I want to "hang out" at.

More than enough excellent independent and chain coffee shops, eateries and bars at street level.

4 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

Didn't do malls so much at home (London) but they're pretty essential here especially if you buy electrical stuff and prefer not to buy your clothing from Big C or Tesco.

Luckily, some of the best malls in Bangkok are around here - Emporium, EM Quartier, Terminal 21 but, even if I had the time, they're not places I want to "hang out" at.

More than enough excellent independent and chain coffee shops, eateries and bars at street level.

The  Two Shopping Malls I can think of in London, are "Westfield", they are Ok....

but for me in the wrong areas, Stratford which is horrible, and Shepherds Bush which is not much better,,,, they should of been in more upmarket desirable areas,,,

but overal London is fantastic for shopping....Harvey Nics, Selfridges, John Lewis...list is endless......

1 minute ago, robertthebruce said:

The  Two Shopping Malls I can think of in London, are "Westfield", they are Ok....

but for me in the wrong areas, Stratford which is horrible, and Shepherds Bush which is not much better,,,, they should of been in more upmarket desirable areas,,,

but overal London is fantastic for shopping....Harvey Nics, Selfridges, John Lewis...list is endless......

Westfield in Shepherd's Bush is well located; serves some very upmarket areas (Kensington, Holland Park, Notting Hill) and smack bang on the A40.

I doubt the owners would want to set up a mall in an upmarket area, though - the land's too expensive and, to be honest, a lot of the people living in those areas, don't shop at the high street shops that typically take space in them.

I'm about 30 mins from any malls.The only time i would go,is if i wanted to go to tuk comm.And then its only a fleeting visit to check out any computer deals and a chicken burger and chips at KFC.The beauty of the Khon Kean mall is its right in the street that has all the bars in it.

Why would someone go to a mall just for the Air Con ?

bacause its cheaper than running aircon at home..and for lots of Thais
(some foreigners too ) there is no aircon at home so its cooler than sitting at home in front of a fan...and free !