Thai VPNs and testing them?

markcm19

I just use one for downloading or watching UK -TV....BBC etc, & for reading the UK paper that is banned here--I find for normal downloading it tends to slow the process down a little. I went with TrustZone which is rated 4th best, its about $2+ a month. Easy to use for a comp blond like me.

2 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

I just use one for downloading or watching UK -TV....BBC etc, & for reading the UK paper that is banned here--I find for normal downloading it tends to slow the process down a little. I went with TrustZone which is rated 4th best, its about $2+ a month. Easy to use for a comp blond like me.

Same.  I use a different VPN service but for the same purpose.  If you want to go with a VPN best you look at one in your home country.

I have a need for a US based VPN, I have had relatively good luck with PrivateInternetAccess however when I tried to use Hulu they blocked me as they identified the IP as a VPN. A friend recommended Unblock-us, they are cheaper than PIA but require resetting TCP/IP settings and I have not taken the time to try it. Since TRUE discontinued HBO I may go ahead & try it. 

I went with ExpressVPN, use it on my cellphone and computer when needed, though it does slow things down when connecting to the US servers, it does allow me to watch Amazon movies from my account back home (which was my main concern). It's just extra insurance at this point, but nice to have.

I know zilch about VPN's other than what they do. So.....

If LOS where to block torrent sites like Bit Tottent and Pirate Bay,  would I still be able to get to said torrent sites using a VPN? Some I have read about say no. Tor says yes.

Does it matter if the VPN has a server in LOS? I would think it would be better if they didn't, but what do I know.

I don't do any live streaming of movies, but I do care about speed, say, for watching videos on youtube. Given that I don't live in a large city and my normal download speed is about 7 Mpbs, would a VPN degrade my speed enough so that youtube would be unwatchable.?

On 1/26/2017 at 10:35 AM, surinteacher2016 said:

PureVPN is annoying. When you try to shut down your computer you will get many messages prompting the fact that you need to quit the VPN. I dont know why they do this to their customers. Its the only vpn that interrupts the shutting down of your computer. 

Interesting.  I used PureVPN for months and never had any message prompting like that.  I did find that my computer shut down much more quickly if I used a manually-created VPN entry rather than the app, though.  It also connected to the (Singapore) server faster than using the app, too.

Are you using Windows 10?

Most vpn providers claiming to have servers in Thailand or some other exotic places don't actually have servers in there.

They just put some address in their IP space to make it look like it belong to that Country.

I tried some of them, Thai servers were in Singapore :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2017 at 3:41 PM, Tagaa said:

If LOS where to block torrent sites like Bit Tottent and Pirate Bay,  would I still be able to get to said torrent sites using a VPN?

Does it matter if the VPN has a server in LOS?

. Given that I don't live in a large city and my normal download speed is about 7 Mpbs, would a VPN degrade my speed enough so that youtube would be unwatchable.?

I guess this is sort of a bump. In my prior post, I asked 3 specific questions that no one has addressed.

If possible, can someone that knows more about VPN's than I do answer any or all of these questions?

Thanks

25 minutes ago, muratremix said:

If torrents are blocked, you go buy seedbox, not vpn that may or may not allow P2P. Seedbox is cheaper and you don't need to leave computer/NAS/whateverbox open 7/24 for slow torrenting via vpn.

He asked for replies to three questions not for someone to suggest he go buy a $extra/month seed box which he has to manage remotely.

1 hour ago, Tagaa said:

I guess this is sort of a bump. In my prior post, I asked 3 specific questions that no one has addressed.

If possible, can someone that knows more about VPN's than I do answer any or all of these questions?

Thanks

1. VPN can overcome a torrent block
2. The VPN service will give you a choice of server location
3. Maybe, depends on VPN service you use.

Of course its best to do your torrent stuff on a separate computer preferably low powered running 24/7.

This is the ultra low powered 500gb solution I use on VPN for TV shows only. Its remote access from anywhere via Transmission GUI. Downs max out at about 1.5Mbs which is 
more than enough unless you are a cant wait 10 mins torrent freak.

seed.JPG

[...]

If LOS where to block torrent sites like Bit Tottent and Pirate Bay,  would I still be able to get to said torrent sites using a VPN? Some I have read about say no. Tor says yes.

Does it matter if the VPN has a server in LOS? I would think it would be better if they didn't, but what do I know.

I don't do any live streaming of movies, but I do care about speed, say, for watching videos on youtube. Given that I don't live in a large city and my normal download speed is about 7 Mpbs, would a VPN degrade my speed enough so that youtube would be unwatchable.?

Some ISPs will block activity they feel is detrimental to their network health.  Most users don't utilize 100% of their bandwidth all the time so the ISP can oversell their network and customers will still believe their contracted speeds are dedicated.  Users torrenting in the background can cause a lot of congestion on local networks. Too many torrenting users can easily max out a network backhaul.  So the ISP will deploy software that detects torrent traffic and drops it cold, allowing other traffic to use the open bandwidth.

If you employ a VPN, all your Internet traffic is encapsulated (possibly even encrypted) between your point and the VPN service so the local ISP detection filters won't work and shouldn't drop your traffic.  But if your chosen VPN provider could still be subject to detection filtering from their network provider, unless they are their own network provider and offer direct peering to international bandwidth providers.

There are three things that can make VPNs slow: 

Encoding/Decoding traffic
Encapsulating the traffic on your existing network

Congestion encountered delivering your tunneled traffic to the VPN Provider, added to the congestion encountered on your VPN provider's Internet facing connection to your desired content.

And if you are torrenting, then your YouTube video is competing for bandwidth against your torrenting client.

It's all doable. But as suggested, subscribing to a torrenting seedbox would be ideal as you can have it do all the torrenting heavy lifting offsite then you just download the completed content to yourself at the max speed of your normal Internet connection (with no reciprocal upload ever needed).

I know zilch about VPN's other than what they do. So.....

To my knowledge, a VPN connection would generally avoid local blocking, depending on the method used. And even with more aggressive blocking, there are more stealthy VPN solutions that are designed to combat that kind of stuff.

It probably depends some of the location of the content you're downloading. But in general, I find I tend to get the best/fastest connections when using Singapore-based servers, since Singapore is the major internet node in these parts. I have access to BKK-based VPN servers, but almost never use them.

7 MBps down, sustained, is fast enough to stream YouTube HD video content, which normally would require about 5 MBps. Depending on your Thai ISP, using a good VPN (especially if you have True or 3BB internet) may actually markedly increase your real download speeds, because it will tend to avoid local ISP throttling or other things that will slow down your international connections.

Again, no vpn provider has real Thai vpn server. International bw in Thailand datacenters are crazy expensive. Domestic bw on the other hand is plenty and almost free.

When you connect to Thai server, in fact you are connecting to nearest server - Singapore for example. They probably change IP address information to make it look like Thailand, but it is not.

Best vpn is Digitalocean singapore $5 usd/month VPS, that you can install openvpn very very easily with ready scripts like Nyr-openvpn on github.

Thanks for the replies to my questions. I learned a lot.

I don't need a VPN now, but if LOS gets even crazier with censorship and regulations/blocking  on torrents, I will get one post haste. I just read that Norway passed a law making it illegal for Norway ISP's to allow access to Pirate Bay. I think the chance of that happening here is high, so I anticipate a need in the near future.

Archived