Rejected entry to Thailand because too many tourist visa

I think the place you put that you're staying helps too. Tourists generally stay in hotels. If you're address on the TM6 is a cheap condo down a sub soi off Sukhumvit soi hundred and whatever then you don't look so much like a tourist.

8 hours ago, texanaust said:

Is it not possible to get the money from an ATM and then go through immigration again?  Different officer, different result maybe?  I would offered the immigration officer 1000baht for 'someone' to accompany you to the ATM in arrivals and then back to his desk.  Surely something like this could be arranged.

I think this would constitute a bribe and if you got the wrong officer, you could be in big trouble. Also, I'm pretty sure they aren't able just to close down their line to suit the needs of an individual offering short-time money.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

I did put this up nearly 3 weeks ago from the front page of the Pattaya Today newspaper but the idea was rejected because it couldn't be proven who had made this announcement. I did say at the time that why would you expect a public announcement when it states passports will be scrutinised for Tourist visas for people suspected of living here? Although it states it will start in August, maybe its started early. I have no idea. What is being reported certainly don't just appear to be visa exempt issues being denied entry. The detail is in the second paragraph of the second attachment. Make of it what you will.

There's absolutely nothing new there whatsoever, all that's written about is extra scrutiny on 'out/ins' with visa exempts, that started in August 2014 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jspill said:

There's absolutely nothing new there whatsoever, all that's written about is extra scrutiny on 'out/ins' with visa exempts, that started in August 2014 

It actually states 'Living' here and scrutinising for prior and approved visas. The article then go's on to say they want to attract wealthier foreigners whilst restricting repeated entry for those who do not have an 'authorised' visa. 'Authorised' visa most would assume wouldn't be a Tourist visa for continual repeat entry which is obviously being used to live here. Whether it is or isn't any different to what was or wasn't said in 2014, makes no difference as it certainly appears that the way it is now, isn't looking likely to continue unabated a whole lot longer.

57 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

As I said earlier on this thread mate I never spend more than 2weeks here but come generally 6/7 times per year. Last April I was told as I came to the Immigration desk that I was here too much to be a tourist and if I did not have a tourist visa next time I would be refused entry. I see him enter something on the PC.

Always less than 30 days per trip and less than 180 in total but i wasn't gonna argue with him so i got one and have been trouble free since.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I was told the same thing thing.That I do need a propper visa.I also tried to find out what the limit or the written rules are but nobody can point it out to me.After my talk with the officer the time I was stopped,I havent been stopped after that.I do carry my book of ressidence with me now and also my young ones birth sertificate just in case to proove what I am doing here.I cant use my young one as a reason for a 1year visa because we are not married,and therefor she is not mine on paper.Unless I go to to court to proove it first.So why should I do something if what I am doing now is totally okey.

16 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

It actually states 'Living' here and scrutinising for prior and approved visas. The article then go's on to say they want to attract wealthier foreigners whilst restricting repeated entry for those who do not have an 'authorised' visa. 'Authorised' visa most would assume wouldn't be a Tourist visa for continual repeat entry which is obviously being used to live here. Whether it is or isn't any different to what was or wasn't said in 2014, makes no difference as it certainly appears that the way it is now, isn't looking likely to continue unabated a whole lot longer.

I think you're stretching it and reading what you want to read. To me it's exactly the same language as August 2014 articles about living here on visa exempts. It states 'foreigners with visas appear to be unaffected and the crackdown is focused on 15 or 30 day exemptions'. This really seems like poor journalism from someone who has googled visa runs and read some articles from Aug 2014. Anyway time will tell. 

I think this week's spate of rejections isn't an organised thing, it's a few specific IOs who are out to deport people. We'll see. 

Edited by jspill
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Essecola said:

A lot of people have written to get a proper visa if tourist visas aren't working out. If you aren't 50 and not married, aren't about to get a work permit and can't get Thailand Elite, then what is the proper visa? I have never seen so many posts of people being refused entry as there has been in the last week or so. Something is very weird now

A tourist visa is a proper visa.

People keep calling thinking that a 'Visa Exempt Entry' is some kind of visa.  It is not.  Is an entry 'without a visa'.   

If you always come in with a Tourist visa there is much less likelyhood of trouble.    

If you sometimes come in without a visa and expect to be given a 'Visa Exempt Entry' that is also not a problem, the problem arises when people always try to come in on a 'Visa Exempted Entry'  as if it's a free visa.

I sometimes fly here from Macau, when I do (unless I've been to HK for a Thai Tourist Visa) I have to enter Thailand on a 'Visa Exempt entry', because there is no Thai consulate in Macau.    

The last two times I flew in from Macai the immigration officer commented that I had no visa.  I politely said I've come from Macau, there is no Thai consulate there.   Both times they said oh ok and allowed me in without further questions.

I've been living here 8 years and flying in and out regularly.   I'm under 50, so can only get tourist visas.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Until your denied entry.

You're then often able to successfully enter the next time you fly in, with no issues at all. As in post #166. 

"And I was sent back to home country for not having enough cash but had indeed near 200.000 baht cash on me. As I came back again about a month later, not been asked one single question at another airport.. "

And that was from mid 2016. This is nothing new, sometimes you get very unlucky. Then you just fly in again and it's fine. 

Edited by jspill

Just now, jspill said:

I think you're stretching it and reading what you want to read. To me it's exactly the same language as August 2014 articles about living here on visa exempts. It states 'foreigners with visas appear to be unaffected and the crackdown is focused on 15 or 30 day exemptions'. This really seems like poor journalism from someone who has google visa runs and read some articles from Aug 2014. Anyway time will tell. 

I think this week's spate of rejections isn't an organised thing, it's a few specific IOs who are out to deport people. We'll see. 

That's talking about the 2 exemptions a year at land crossings and referring to those with a Non o or what ever you want to call call it that needs to do a 90 day in and out and won't be effected.

Another farang living part-time in Thailand, trying to fool Immigrationthat that he's a genuine tourist. May have worked before, now it's caught up with you. Millions in Thai bank and/or investments? Buy an Elite!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

That's talking about the 2 exemptions a year at land crossings and referring to those with a Non o or what ever you want to call call it that needs to do a 90 day in and out and won't be effected.

No it says they'll scrutinize in/outs at airports more, then says they already do that at land crossings, then says foreigners with visas are not affected by the entire 'crackdown'. What you're referring to comes in the section after. 

If you Google 'thailand crackdown visa runs' now, all the results are about the August 2014 news.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=thailand+crackdown+visa+runs

That is what this (bad) journalist has done, get his facts mixed up with 2014 stuff while padding out an article about the 10 year retirement visa, and the ASEAN electronic visa. 

fBJ89Zj.png

Edited by jspill
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jspill said:

No it says they'll scrutinize in/outs at airports more, then says they already do that at land crossings, then says foreigners with visas are not affected by the entire 'crackdown'. What you're referring to comes in the section after. 

If you Google 'thailand crackdown visa runs' now, all the results are about the August 2014 news.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=thailand+crackdown+visa+runs

That is what this (bad) journalist has done, get his facts mixed up with 2014 stuff while padding out an article about the 10 year retirement visa, and the ASEAN electronic visa. 

fBJ89Zj.png

Obviously the denials are not really happening. Lets just ignore it, it will all go away. Let me tell you that you have a real big shock to the system coming and it's not very far away :smile:

4 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Obviously the denials are not really happening. Lets just ignore it, it will all go away. Let me tell you that you have a real big shock to the system coming and it's not very far away :smile:

They've been happening for years, I posted that denials are nothing new. But they're very rare when you consider how many thousands of people pass through the airports each day. If one just takes certain precautions it's quite possible to live here for many years on tourist visas.

7 minutes ago, jspill said:

They've been happening for years, I posted that denials are nothing new. But they're very rare when you consider how many thousands of people pass through the airports each day. If one just takes certain precautions it's quite possible to live here for many years on tourist visas.

What is the good precautions, like to change passport every year, changing often the country where where're going out and in ? changing often a consulate where we planing to get the visa ? 

But the problem is that the Immigration, had a history even in our all previous stay in Thailand directly at his computer at Passport Control, even with a another passport ?!

or it's need to get some superior officer to access it ?

Edited by Danielsiam

7 hours ago, SiamBeast said:

If you have millions in the bank, there's no excuse for you not getting a Thailand Elite visa. I took the 5-year program and I never got any questions at the border. It's just $15,000, not $1,000,000. For 5 years. Worth it IMO. A tourist visa is for tourists, and you're not a tourist.

If you apply now, you'll be back in within 10 days. And about the "not giving money to people who don't accept you" excuse, it doesn't work - I'm sure you won't stop paying your taxes if your country arrests you for a crime you did. You know what I mean - get your TE visa now, rich boy.

P.S. About the "checking social media" stuff, I solved the problem: I have no Facebook, no Twitter, no Instagram, and no Snapchat. I just use Line (encrypted only) and Signal with people I know.

When they were torturing me with some weird questions about my privacy, I said that I do not use fartbook, no TV, no Internet, no nothing. I'd just lost my phone a week ago and the car belonged to a  friendly Thai woman.

Then the question about foreigners I'd be befriended with and she said she'd be aware that I'd know at least one teacher from a big local school.

I was just thinking about a fantasy name when her colleague and friend of mine for 15 years jumped in and said out loud: "Oh, I think she means S......., his last name is Americano, isn't it?"I almost peed my pants, then nodded my head and spelled his name S K Y P E   A M E R I C A N O.  :ph34r:

She had cruel dragon eyes and ears and I had the feeling that she could fly on brooms. 

Maybe she's trying to get one more star on her uniform? Arrai Wa? 

12 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

My first entry in 1998, I showed them 1000 USD in Amex Traveler Cheques....almost wasn't good enough...and I had an "open return" they commented on that, too.  Saw people handing 20000 THB through the fence at Maesai between families to re-use as show money...in 2006.  But, you come here often and are eligible for retirement visa/extensions you are choosing the very hard way to do things...it's not a secret, at all.  If I were ten years younger and not eligible, I would practically scratch Thailand off my list.

Don't know why you had a problem in 1998, Things were very relaxed back then.  I was coming to Thailand at that time too. Back then if you wanted to stay longer you gave you passport to a company that ran it to Malaysia get it stamped in and out and you never needed to leave. I think it was 500B for that service. Never even thought about getting a visa in those days. Immigration only started cracking down on loop holes and enforcing the rules around 2004-5 somewhere around that time. 

OP as for the immigration requiring to see cash in hand this started several months ago.  If you review the Thai embassies websites it states  that if you enter on visa exempt you you must have travelers check or cash equivalent of  10K THB for a single person and 20KTHB for a family and have onward travel documents. So they did do it the civil way and posted on their websties. 

Am I missing something here?   The writing has been on the wall for some time that the Thai authorities were going to crack down on short-term visa and visa-exempt use.  Why try to game the system and then be infuriated when it doesn't work? You seem to be qualified for a one-year period of stay based on retirement.  Why not get your one-year extension of stay and a multiple re-entry permit the next time you're in the country and avoid any further problems?  The Thai authorities seem to want people to have the correct visas and extensions to match their residency status.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sanemax said:

Some peoples home banks have a maximum daily withdrawal limit of under 20 000 Baht per day

I had bank accounts at 2 different banks in USA that normally had a limit of $500 daily limit withdrawel but both banks could adjust the the limit especialy if you informed them you were traveling overseas . Raised both to $1,000 usd daily limit and called from Thailand once and had 1 account temporarily raised to $2,000 daily limit.

Now I have retirement check sent to Bangkok Bang account and only transfre from USA bank on occasion.

13 hours ago, Penefattore said:

I am la creme de la creme of farang seethi , the perfect gentleman , and don't you dare to utter further foolishness.

I am actually the type of tourist/resident TAT dreams of , but really does not deserve.

All was going ok , when the counter officer said I had been in Thailand too many times and had to send me to his superior officer , was taken to a place nearby and there started my ordeal.

How many times in 1 year do you enter on a 30 day tourist visa ? 

How many years have you been doing this ? 

I presume nothing will have changed for me arriving with my Thai partner who lives outside Thailand with me on our 2 or 3 visits a year to see family. I always arrive on 30 day visa exempt. Always have a pocket full of cash. If anyone knows anything to the contrary please tell

15 hours ago, Penefattore said:

I am la creme de la creme of farang seethi , the perfect gentleman , and don't you dare to utter further foolishness.

I am actually the type of tourist/resident TAT dreams of , but really does not deserve.

All was going ok , when the counter officer said I had been in Thailand too many times and had to send me to his superior officer , was taken to a place nearby and there started my ordeal.

What is with the 'farang seethi' line?  Are you Indian?  Anyway these sort of comments generally mean there is more to the story.  

The first thing you can do is always have an actual visa.    It cannot be stressed enough - do not come in on Visa Exempt entry unless you absolutely have no choice.

Pay for a visa, don't expect to be let in without one.   

Frankly they should just do away with visa exempt entries and setup an online visa selling system for people who cannot (for whatever reason) get to a Thai consulate.

The other thing you can do is dress reasonably smart, I see people coming in who I wouldn't allow in my restaurants or clubs, let alone my country.    Just because you are coming on holiday is no reason to dress like you are already on the damn beach.

Many, many tourists are coming in visa exempt. Doing away with that system because of a relatively few abusing it would be a very bad idea.

sent using Tapatalk

• Like 1

19 hours ago, at15 said:

becoming more and more normal nowadays. anyone staying here using a lot of tourist visas/visa exempt entries should be on high alert and be prepared with a backup plan. dont accumulate a bunch of stuff in your condo/apartment, you may never see it again. 

Right on.

It's always been like this, not only Thailand but all of Asia.

I myself has nothing here in my name and only a small bag, packed at all times.

I can leave in a minute and leave nothing behind.

Give them the finger and it's bye, bye.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bandito said:

Right on.

It's always been like this, not only Thailand but all of Asia.

I myself has nothing here in my name and only a small bag, packed at all times.

I can leave in a minute and leave nothing behind.

Give them the finger and it's bye, bye.

There is some merit to this comment. Living out of a bag could be the new way forward. 

16 minutes ago, Essecola said:

There is some merit to this comment. Living out of a bag could be the new way forward. 

I am not living out of a bag, I live in a house.

I can live in a minute because I have nothing in my name here.

The bag stays stand by in case of.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bandito said:

I am not living out of a bag, I live in a house.

I can live in a minute because I have nothing in my name here.

The bag stays stand by in case of.

Sorry sir. Maybe my choice of words was wrong. What I meant was a one bag system and always ready to go sounds awesome. Can't ever be caught unprepared that way. Wasn't poking fun at all.