New Order to Protect Chiang Mai's Mae Kha Canal From Unchecked Pollution

webfact

New Order to Protect Mae Kha Canal From Unchecked Pollution

mae-kah-canal.jpg

CityNews – The Provincial Governor of Chiang Mai, Pawin Chamniprasart, has ordered that all buildings, both commercial and residential must now have grease traps and filters that catch stones, sand, gravel and other large waste before waste water enters the Mae Kha Canal.

The governor has asked for full cooperation from locals and businesses, insisting the filters will help improve the quality of the canal and it’s surrouding areas and reduce the pollution levels of the canal water.

Full story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/new-order-to-protect-mae-kha-canal-from-unchecked-pollution1/

changmainews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang City News 2017-03-07

Um, I lived next to it for a while and it seems a lot more than just stones, sand and gravel ends up in there.

Either way though it's good that it's on the agenda, it's kind of disgraceful to have this flow straight through town past some of Chiang Mai most vibrant downtown areas including Thapae, Loy Kroh and Gecko Restaurant.

I guess the water wheel installed behind Gekko might be a part of this project. Not sure what part the wheel is to play in the overall operation as it appears to be restricting flow at present.

The water department engineering group probably have a logical explanation for the device, its past use and its success.

• 2 weeks later...

Unchecked human population growth produces unchecked pollution.

That's the way it happens when humans inundate a place.

There is no silver bullet, but it sure helps when people make fewer babies.

More to the point of the OP:.... it's good to hear at least one Chiang Mai official has an inkling of doing something to slow the trashing of the environment.  Anything's better than nothing.  

In contrast, when the Shinawatre family was overlording (specifically, when Thaksin's sister was PM), laws protecting riversides around Chiang Mai were watered down (pun intended).  In other words:  Yingluck approved lifting the restrictions (which mostly affected rich people) on building right along edges of waterways.  Bad news for the environment.  

I reside in Chiang Rai, and take walks through the countryside around town. There is a irrigation ditch in my village (Hoy Plakang) which has a weird color.  It's bluish-black but clear enough to see the bed of the moving water, about 80 cm deep.  Nothing grows in it, not any noticeable plants and probably not any animals.  Yet, there is a type of creepy stringy algae, that seems to be it.   It doesn't look natural.  One more aspect of a weird chemical-laden world we're passing on to our children.

Speaking of northernmost Thailand:  I hang outdoors for most of every day - often with projects.  So I notice things.  For example, there are about 15 species of animal, bird, reptile and insects that I used to see in earlier days (late 90's) but no longer see.   Here is a partial list. . . . . . . . . 

tarantula

dung beetle

praying mantis

bumble bee

white-gray speckled owl

small brown owl

cobra

long-snout mouse

black squirrel

small hedgehog (I've only found some spines. They must be nocturnal)

turtles

6" long beetle, 3/4 inch wide

large black beetle, 3.5" by 1.5"

giant worm:  up to 9" long by nearly 1" wide, light purple with light yellow stripe.

Are there any Thai biologists who tally such things?  I doubt it.  One would think Thais would be interested in what species inhabit their country, which are extinct and which are on the verge.  A small local zoo, south of C.Rai, had a cloud leopard.  One day it was gone.  Did a rich Chinese person make an offer to buy it?   There are two giant snakes at the same zoo.  One came from my 9 rai property - donated.