Real Helmets, Thai Brand worth the effort

Rhys

Does anyone know for sure if the DOT approval on many Thai helmets is the real thing? To me it looks nothing like the genuine DOT logo on my American Bell helmet and I suspect those cheap helmets have never been approved by the Department of Transport. If so it might be approved by some Thai standard with the same name. I mean, I have seen DOT written on flimsy helmets costing less than 1000b.

As far as I know, getting a helmet approved by DOT/Snell is an expensive process, and I would be surprised if the manufacturer bothered with it.

So, does anyone know if the DOT letters written on many helmets actually mean something, or is just a marketing smoke screen?

WB

I've wondered the same myself. Apparently DOT is self certified which adds further doubt. The DOT Real helmets do look good and solid and similar thickness to my Shoei helmet. The Index Titan 7 which has DOT on the back is thinner than the Real which makes me wonder if genuine DOT.

I was hoping there was a DOT website to see if the manufactures were on the list, but couldn't find one, maybe someone else can.

On 3/15/2017 at 0:10 PM, Rdrokit said:

I will have to check them out. Always looking for a good second helmet. Have an ICON Airframe Pro but at 15,000 baht I hate to leave it on the bike and don't like carrying it around when parked especially on short trips.

Just a follow up. I decided to buy a REAL off of Lazada. As I already have a full face I bought an open face for rides around town. Very happy with the helmet as it only cost 2290 and was delivered in 4 days of order.

http://www.lazada.co.th/real-real-next-matt-black-big-bike-and-motorcycle-helmet-8775487.html

Edited by Rdrokit

The main thing I hate about wearing a helmet is the heat. I'm not a serious rider but I have a fairly serious helmet. I bought a Nolan Air. It is the best ventilated helmet that I could find. It has a removable chin guard but I leave it on even during my short rides. YOu can actually feel the airflow around your head. Better safe than sorry or dead.

12 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Does anyone know for sure if the DOT approval on many Thai helmets is the real thing? To me it looks nothing like the genuine DOT logo on my American Bell helmet and I suspect those cheap helmets have never been approved by the Department of Transport. If so it might be approved by some Thai standard with the same name. I mean, I have seen DOT written on flimsy helmets costing less than 1000b.

As far as I know, getting a helmet approved by DOT/Snell is an expensive process, and I would be surprised if the manufacturer bothered with it.

So, does anyone know if the DOT letters written on many helmets actually mean something, or is just a marketing smoke screen?

WB

While the DOT certification is from self testing, the testing rigs and methodology used must be certified by DOT or the results cannot be used to certify the helmet.  I do believe that the REAL helmets are the real thing.  Their testing starts at about the 2 minute mark.  I've also noticed that their helmets are now ECE certified.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp4YSIK8YII

6 hours ago, canthai55 said:

If a rigid projection is fitted to helmet, e.g., camera/mount, 

All certification is void.

I infer from watching Colton Haaker

[2016 & now 2017 Super Enduro Winner]

vids on YouTube that

FIM disallows helmet-mounted camera in competition.

8-)          

:-)     (-8

Screen Shot 2560-03-25 at 2.24.03 PM.png

Edited by papa al