Only in Thailand? Contractor demolishes bridge but there are no warning lights

rooster59

Only in Thailand? Contractor demolishes bridge but there are no warning lights

NjpUs24nCQKx5e1A55IsCtDakq0asd6ACbUIJCLOxDc.jpg

Image: Thai rath

Three vehicles ended up the creek in Chonburi yesterday because a contractor who demolished a bridge failed to put in any warning lights.

The three vehicles all crashed in the space of ten minutes when it got dark. Four people were also reported injured by Thai rath.

Following the destruction the department of rural roads rushed to put some emergency lights in and order the contractor to take more safety precautions. They suggested signage and warning lights.

Police said they would pursue a charge of negligence and advised the victims to press charges in the civil courts.

The bridge is being repaired in the Bung Kradon sub-district of Ban Bung, Chonburi.  

Source: Thai rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-18

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Following the destruction the department of rural roads rushed to put some emergency lights in and order the contractor to take more safety precautions. They suggested signage and warning lights.'

To which they probably  replied, 'OK wait until morning when its light, we'll sort it then'.

2 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

Only in Thailand for sure...

there's a book...... Phra Farlang.... 

where the farlang goes up into a bell tower at 4 AM to ring the bell..... bangs his head on the rim of the bell that is centered right over the hatch opening .. and the book says "only a Thai would put the bell right there".... 

when I read that in Phra Farlang.... it was only after being in Thailand ever for a few days.... I already knew it was true..... but not at all why.... clueless for years even after being here.... about that 'bell tower' passage that I knew was true but had no idea why....

but we who live here know it.... and live it with the Thai... everyday.... and even the why becomes crystal clear. but.... they do it to themselves.... it took a while for me to realize that last one thought on this.  but made it easier to live with... especially as I know and am close to several 'ajarn'.  but it begins there for sure. there's no chicken or egg problem with this one. 

Edited by maewang99

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Boggle the minds and defy beliefs... hope this guy has full insurance

to cover losses, however, no amount of insurance will pay for a dead

brains the contactor is suffering from...

You sue this guy's employer, which is the government dept, with this guy as the 2nd defendant.

The government is self-insured.

"Three vehicles ended up the creek in Chonburi yesterday because a contractor who demolished a bridge failed to put in any warning lights."

It appears that he followed Thai safety standards to the letter.

Edited by jaltsc

Another fine example of Thailands' understanding of safety issues.......not too many people here in any position of authority, have the slightest idea of health and safety.....no idea about preventing accidents/incidents, no idea of training or implementation....it's very backward for 2017....!

Next to my place they're building the BTS line. A large square metal frame fell from somewhere and landed on the front of a car. If that had hit someone, it would have killed them. 

Funny this is that the day before I was buying an ice coffee, and while I was waiting I was watching the crane moving stuff around. It had that eerie 'Final Destination' feel. Anywho, I'll certainly be even more vigilant than before.  

Health and Safety is a term not translated into Thai it would seem. The idea of Health and Safety is someone wearing a hard hat on a building site, still in flip flops and shorts.  Anyone who has been here long enough knows that the total lack of planning and forward thinking is virtually non existent. I remember so many Thai companies went for the ISO 9002 quality standard. Hardly any achieved it as the health and safety was still back in the 18th century.

2 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

Only in Thailand for sure...

Well, while they might not be the only ones with that kind of stellar 'expertise'  there certainly aren't that many around which would top them in the negligence-department ... always and again 'amazing'.

A couple additional eyes - like with spiders for instance - would come pretty handy here, fore sure ... :crazy: 

19 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Next to my place they're building the BTS line. A large square metal frame fell from somewhere and landed on the front of a car. If that had hit someone, it would have killed them. 

Funny this is that the day before I was buying an ice coffee, and while I was waiting I was watching the crane moving stuff around. It had that eerie 'Final Destination' feel. Anywho, I'll certainly be even more vigilant than before.  

This one, sir? Hoho, nice.

Well, you obviously got common sense plus are here long enough - the 'eerie feeling' is/was certainly warranted ... yes, always watch your '6'  :shock1: 

smash.JPG

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The three vehicles all crashed in the space of ten minutes when it got dark. Four people were also reported injured by Thai rath.

Why did Thai rath injure the four people..............:sorry:

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Police said they would pursue a charge of negligence and advised the victims to press charges in the civil courts.

Why? Does the contractor not have any insurance? It can take years to get anything from a Thai court.

Why should these motorists have to pay for damages, caused by a morons ineptitude on a situation that is pretty clearly his fault.

What about the prosecuting of the government officials who were overseeing the contractor? Thais are reluctant to accept blame and always looking to blame others. That's not Thai bashing but an obvious observation of what happens when the s**t hits the fan here.

1 hour ago, PatOngo said:

Victims pursue civil suit for negligence

Contractor loses face

Contractor initiates deformation proceedings

Get the picture?

Looks like the cars are deformed already, so no proceedings needed here. SCNR