No celebration activities on Khao San road this coming Songkran water festival

rooster59

No celebration activities on Khao San road this coming Songkran water festival

54_Songkran.jpg

Khao San road will have no Songkran water celebration activities this year as the country is still mourning the passing of the beloved King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

The decision to not holding celebration activities on this short street came after the meeting of several relevant government and private agencies, including the Khaosan Road Business Association, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and the Royal Thai Police.

The meeting agreed that as the country is still in a mourning period, all water celebration activities usually held every year from April 13-15 should be called off.

Khaosan Road Business Association president Piyabutr Jiwaramonaikul said no celebration activities will be held this year on Khao San road as they were held in previous years as all relevant agencies viewed that it would be inconvenient for people who will be coming from across the country to pay homage to their beloved King during the Songkran festival if the Khao San is closed to traffic to allow the Songkran celebration activities to be held.

As the closure of Khao San road will also affect traffic on other roads surrounding the area, he said.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/no-celebration-activities-khao-san-road-coming-songkran-water-festival/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-03-25

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

As the closure of Khao San road will also affect traffic on other roads surrounding the area, he said.

Yes, the moving of the 20 or so taxis and tuk-tuks normally parked every day on KSR is likely to be highly detrimental to traffic volumes in that area.

From the other article :

In Bangkok, the usual festivities will play out on Khaosan and Silom roads as usual, and state-sponsored events will be held nationwide for the festival’s days, which fall April 13 to 15, said Yuthasak Supasorn, governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand, though he added that revelers are advised to observe customs and behave appropriately.

Good reporting 555

1 hour ago, happysoul said:

From the other article :

In Bangkok, the usual festivities will play out on Khaosan and Silom roads as usual, and state-sponsored events will be held nationwide for the festival’s days, which fall April 13 to 15, said Yuthasak Supasorn, governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand, though he added that revelers are advised to observe customs and behave appropriately.

Good reporting 555

Hello, left hand, this is right hand...Now I realize neither of you know each other or even know what you are doing, but try to get along...ok...?

as all relevant agencies viewed that it would be inconvenient for people who will be coming from across the country to pay homage to their beloved King during the Songkran festival

Hmm apparently people travel across the World to pay respect... and not to enjoy one of the most famous Thai festivals

Edited by 11223344

3 hours ago, Lupatria said:

Sometimes I wonder how many (foreign) assistants these top tourism officials need to learn there is a difference between left and right and even yes and no.

They are smarter than you would think.

If they announce that songkran is normal like usual the tourists will buy tickets....when they are here on kao san road they will find out there's no party but than they are already here spending money.

As usual sh... and irresponsible so called journalism from thai visa. Don't you guys think it is about time to make sure of your facts before you publish junk news. Now that you are supposed to be partnered with the nation I'm sure that won't last long with the standard of your reporting.

8 minutes ago, tigermoth said:

As usual sh... and irresponsible so called journalism from thai visa. Don't you guys think it is about time to make sure of your facts before you publish junk news. Now that you are supposed to be partnered with the nation I'm sure that won't last long with the standard of your reporting.

yoda-touch-that-with-a-10-foot-pole-i-will-not.jpg

4 hours ago, Razzler1973 said:

He says that without a source so I assume just guessing that it will go ahead, like everyone else

He seems to have good sources for thai news, many times he is much faster than thaivisa with posting movies and such.

I think there will be waterfighting on ksr, the news that the road would be closed for traffic is also nonsense since it is already closed.