Do many Thais hate us, because they feel we've much more than them?

7 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

If you embarrass a western guy who you dont know in a pub he might punch you in the face while a tuk tuk driver might hit you with an object.

With friends be they Thai or not you can embarass them in fron of other friends. Thais take the mickey out of each other all the time.

Worrying about loss of face is for novices who dont know how to act in public.

I quite surprised at the amount of total rubbish on this thread and surprised so many people are still contributing to the rubbish a lot of which is wrong, twisted and even insulting.

The number of non-Thais contributing who seem to believe they are perfect people is actually not surprising.

Someone, please close this thread. 

Edited by scorecard

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

I quite surprised at the amount of total rubbish on this thread and surprised so many people are still contributing to the rubbish a lot of which is wrong, twisted and even insulting.

The number of non-Thais contributing who seem to believe they are perfect people is actually not surprising.

Someone, please close this thread. 

So you are Thai or just ranting?

On 4/12/2017 at 3:15 AM, jerojero said:

Hmmm....seems opposite to my experience. Perhaps they are reacting to you, in the way you interact or act among them? There sure are enough expats who do arrogantly think they are 'above' Thai people.

An obvious attempt to justify the Thais based on supposed "arrogance". My experience has been with my college educated girlfriend, who was seemingly amazed when she realized that money just "magically" appeared in my bank account  every month and there

was no employment involved. (except during the previous forty years)  As I've said before, the education level of the particular Thai person does not seem to have much to do with their perceptions. They behave as provincial grovelers before their elite masters, even if

they are lucky enough to have a good education. It almost seems to be a part of their DNA. I get this crap all the time. There is intense

jealousy of farangs and is accompanied by the ridiculous notion that because I have money, it is somehow coming out of THEIR pockets. There is no rhyme or reason to their logic. They believe that native English speakers should not be "taking jobs away from Thais" by teaching English. Ostensibly, they seem to think that any Thai can do this, even though the standard of spoken English is abysmal.

On 3/26/2017 at 11:53 AM, true word said:

I'll tell you one thing I'm sure of, Thai people will never pay back your money.

This is very true Many years ago my brother in law borrowed money for a tractor  ( 50 %)  on the understanding he paid it back in 6 months  which was also when the shop wanted their final payment of 50% 

After 6 months not only couldn't he repay the loan but he had to borrow another 50% or lose the tractor ... Of course muggings here lent him the balance ,,,never to be repaid of course. You never lend money to a Thai you just give it to them with the knowledge  " Farang pays " ....Of course after 15 years I am pretty street wise now and tight as a ducks arse 

While I expected the TV "Thai Way or the Highway" crew to shift it all off on me, I DO have independent confirmation of my feelings. My 37 year old, college educated, gainfully employed girlfriend has told me many times that most Thais are extremely jealous of farang and feel we are getting something we don't deserve. I have had the idea that we are "taking jobs away from Thais" shoved at me on so many occasions that it's astonishing to note how many Thais believe this garbage. I saw it as a tourist during the financial crisis back in the nineties. Posters depicting Thailand as a beggar, dependent upon the Japanese and the USA for a hand-out. The delusion of being downtrodden is always blamed upon outsiders, never on the Thai elite. I see a similar dynamic in the American south, where the poorest, trashiest people invariably vote Republican, the very group of people who lord it over them while assuring them that they are

acting in their best interests. Peasant delusions die hard.

5 minutes ago, Chip Allen said:

While I expected the TV "Thai Way or the Highway" crew to shift it all off on me, I DO have independent confirmation of my feelings. My 37 year old, college educated, gainfully employed girlfriend has told me many times that most Thais are extremely jealous of farang and feel we are getting something we don't deserve. I have had the idea that we are "taking jobs away from Thais" shoved at me on so many occasions that it's astonishing to note how many Thais believe this garbage. I saw it as a tourist during the financial crisis back in the nineties. Posters depicting Thailand as a beggar, dependent upon the Japanese and the USA for a hand-out. The delusion of being downtrodden is always blamed upon outsiders, never on the Thai elite. I see a similar dynamic in the American south, where the poorest, trashiest people invariably vote Republican, the very group of people who lord it over them while assuring them that they are

Complete and utter BS....except for the Republican part.  You may know America, but you do not know Thailand.

1 hour ago, Chip Allen said:

Chip on the shoulder

How well travelled is your '37 y.o. College educated (Bwaahaa) employed girlfriend' and how would she know farangs get something for nothing?
Most farang expats have worked harder, longer and under greater pressure than most Thai's could ever imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/12/2017 at 9:25 AM, seancbk said:

You obviously haven't lived in Asia very long, or you've not really learn't what 'face' actually is.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with one person having more than another, nothing to do with one person being better educated than another and nothing to do with one person being of a higher class than another.

The simplest way to explain 'face' is that is the complete avoidance of embarrassing the other person or being embarrased.   If you make someone look foolish then you have caused them to lose face.  

If someone points out that you've made a mistake then they've made you lose 'face'.  

Having more (money) than someone else can give you face or increase your face as being rich is seen by a lot of people as an indicator that you are better than other people, but being rich does not infer 'loss of face' on people with less money.  

Sean, i agree with what you say, and you are right about class having little to do with it. it just seems to me that the frail Thai male ego is so hung up on losing face (especially to a ferang)that the result,  is normally followed by a beating of such ferocity, by several Thai men when only one of them was the Target. Does the Thai involved think that face is restored by doing this?

When i first met Mrs Kean, some 7 years ago, we were walking from my car to the big Lotus in Pattaya. As we got to the entrance, a Thai guy (who had every indication of being a thug) spat at her. I was furious and turned to come after him. She told me that on no account should i follow this insult up as he probably had a knife or a gun. I felt Arse kicked, because i'm no slouch, but she was adamant that i should let it go.On that occasion, it was me who lost face.

26 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

How well travelled is your '37 y.o. College educated (Bwaahaa) employed girlfriend' and how would she know farangs get something for nothing?
Most farang expats have worked harder, longer and under greater pressure than most Thai's could ever imagine.

She is quite well traveled but she never suggested that farang get something for nothing. She was telling me what many Thais believe. She doesn't think that way herself and your condescending attitude toward her college education shows me YOUR attitude toward Thais. Arrogance.

Well they know that we are all millionaires and we all have money tree's in our gardens.

What? I worked bloody years to be able to have what i have now. Nobody gave me bugger all. I came out of a 5 year plumbing apprenticeship and ended up as a plumbing design engineer for some of the top building and construction company's in England.My dad taught me all i know, and he was a respected design engineer. I will not apologise for how i have come to get what i have, i just say that it wasn't given.

She is quite well traveled but she never suggested that farang get something for nothing. She was telling me what many Thais believe. She doesn't think that way herself and your condescending attitude toward her college education shows me YOUR attitude toward Thais. Arrogance.

How long have you worked in a Thai University?

It's the education system that I was laughing about and how the (Thai) degree's are seen internationally.

8 hours ago, Chip Allen said:

Oh, it's not her that thinks that way, it's all these other Thais....more nonsense.  Do you just make stuff up?  Rhetorical question. 

On 4/13/2017 at 0:09 PM, Chip Allen said:

An obvious attempt to justify the Thais based on supposed "arrogance". My experience has been with my college educated girlfriend, who was seemingly amazed when she realized that money just "magically" appeared in my bank account  every month and there

was no employment involved. (except during the previous forty years)  As I've said before, the education level of the particular Thai person does not seem to have much to do with their perceptions. They behave as provincial grovelers before their elite masters, even if

they are lucky enough to have a good education. It almost seems to be a part of their DNA. I get this crap all the time. There is intense

jealousy of farangs and is accompanied by the ridiculous notion that because I have money, it is somehow coming out of THEIR pockets. There is no rhyme or reason to their logic. They believe that native English speakers should not be "taking jobs away from Thais" by teaching English. Ostensibly, they seem to think that any Thai can do this, even though the standard of spoken English is abysmal.

I agree with you.

Their lack of critical thinking makes it hard for them to understand the fatangs.

They still could have had a chance if they read international media regularly. Business news, cultural news, political news etc.

Unfortunately they are obsessed with social media.

I have met thai university graduates and l realised they know so little not only about the outside world but their own country.

So sad!

I agree with you.
Their lack of critical thinking makes it hard for them to understand the fatangs.
They still could have had a chance if they read international media regularly. Business news, cultural news, political news etc.
Unfortunately they are obsessed with social media.
I have met thai university graduates and l realised they know so little not only about the outside world but their own country.
So sad!

Why Sad.? They don't bother with things they can do nothing about,unlike Academic wannabe Ferangs who waffle here about Thais being wrong all the time.[emoji860]

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You will probably be surprised to know many Thais don't care one way or the other.

There are a few Farangs however who act like a__holes  and give everyone a bad name.

A good example is that woman recently shown on this Thai visa forum with her feet up on the seat of a Thai traveler on a mini bus.

Touching a person's head with your feet is considered an offense to that person by most Thais.