Thai Lottery Office to announce master plan to end overpricing definitely

webfact

Lottery Office to announce master plan to end overpricing definitely

IMG_0122.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Government Lottery Office (GLO) will announce a two-year master plan to tackle overpriced lottery tickets once and for all next month.

This was revealed yesterday by GLO board chairman Lt-Gen Apirat Kongsompong after a meeting to resolve the long-standing overpricing problem.

He said the master plan which will be announced publicly next month engaged stricter check on all lottery retailers throughout the country.

He said in particular the sale of packets of lottery tickets which is exploited by sellers to mark up prices.

He said these batch sales of tickets remain the thorn in the side of the official effort which has forced the GLO to announce that it will be considering offering the packets or batches officially in order to have direct control on prices.

However whether this will come about will depend on discussions that the GLO will hold with privateers or NGOs to consider the pros and cons of such a move.

Meanwhile the GLO yesterday announced it will increase two more channels for prize winners to claim their prizes through postal offices and Krung Thai Bank branches nationwide.

This will allow winners to save fee in claiming cash prizes from existing channels.

The service will begin in two months.

According to the GLO, on average retailers take a deduction of between 2 – 3.5% if tickets are cashed with them instead of
directly with the GLO.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/lottery-office-announce-master-plan-end-overpricing-definitely/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-04-06

A Master Plan? Really? Two comments for this, One, I have yet to see a Master Plan in Thailand that was actually well thought through and worked when implemented.

Two, it's a lottery ticket. The Government lottery. It shouldn't need anything special to control the prices, given that everyone knows how much they are supposed to be.

2 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

I have a simple plan. Let Family Mart and 7/11 exclusively sell the tickets. Easy. Or stop it completely. Gambling is anyway illegal here.

Not in my local 7/11 please. It takes forever to get served in there as it is.

Just now, darksidedog said:

Not in my local 7/11 please. It takes forever to get served in there as it is.

yeah, that would be the darkside of the plan. So only in Family Mart. I prefer 7/11 anyway.

6 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

A Master Plan? Really? Two comments for this, One, I have yet to see a Master Plan in Thailand that was actually well thought through and worked when implemented.

Two, it's a lottery ticket. The Government lottery. It shouldn't need anything special to control the prices, given that everyone knows how much they are supposed to be.

555, you beat me to it, just reading 'Master-plan' gave me a veritable chuckle ... 

27 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

I have a simple plan. Let Family Mart and 7/11 exclusively sell the tickets. Easy. Or stop it completely. Gambling is anyway illegal here.

Perfect plan!

So no more ticketvendors blocking the walkways or coming into restaurants. Instead they can  go do something usefull.

38 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

Let Family Mart and 7/11 exclusively sell the tickets

yes  its so simple... not necessarily  just 7/11 or Family let anyone buy and run a machine from the franchise holder it was tried and almost happened before,a company ( can't remember who)  won the franchise bid had the lottery machines  all ready to go but a previous government killed the idea.

Edited by johng

time to modernise the whole thing and bring it up to date with the rest of the developed world, electronic ticket machines - online purchase - and a simple 5 or 6 digit number system with a couple of draws a week performed on primetime TV, the current system is too open to abuse and is abused

34 minutes ago, smedly said:

time to modernise the whole thing and bring it up to date with the rest of the developed world, electronic ticket machines - online purchase - and a simple 5 or 6 digit number system with a couple of draws a week performed on primetime TV, the current system is too open to abuse and is abused

Exactly.

An 80-strong delegation of high-level Thai executives is planning a visit to Estonia to learn about the "World's most wired nation" so why not start with the lottery?

4 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

A Lieutenant-General in charge of the lottery, couldn't cut it on the battlefield, so he draws numbers out of a hat.

Well I rather suspect that is how a couple of the Generals I served under in my time made decisions...

6 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Dear lord, are they still talking about this?

Yes because Prayuth can't do it....in any developed country they can but not in Thailand.

And i don't care about the price of tickets at all but i hope we get rid of those ticketvendors, they're always in the way or even annoy me in restaurants.

25 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

I consider the 100 Baht I always pay for a lottery ticket a fair price...

Your money, of course, and up to you how you spend it.

But, a "fair" price for an 80 Baht item is exactly 80 Baht.

Would we accept an arbitrary (and illegal) extra charge of 25% at the Immigration Office, the Land Office, Government hospital, Motorway toll, etc.?

21 hours ago, alocacoc said:

Then you will have a huge litter problem when they give out 10 plastic straws with every lottery ticket and wrap each ticket in a plastic bag.