Three killed as truck drives into crowd in Swedish capital - media

Jonathan Fairfield

Three killed as truck drives into crowd in Swedish capital - media

2017-04-07T140903Z_1_LYNXMPED3611N_RTROPTP_4_SWEDEN-ATTACK.JPG

STOCKHOLM(Reuters) - Three people were killed when a truck drove into a crowd on a shopping street and crashed into a department store in central Stockholm on Friday, police said.

Prime Minister Stefan Lofven said everything indicated the crash was a terrorist attack, according to the national news agency TT.

Part of central Stockholm was cordoned off and the area was evacuated. Large numbers of police and emergency services were at the scene.

"I saw at least three dead, but probably more," Radio Sweden reporter Martin Svenningsen said.

TT reported that police confirmed the three deaths.

A Reuters witness saw a number of body-like forms covered by blankets at the scene of the incident.

Several attacks in which trucks or cars have driven into crowds have taken place in Europe in the past year. Al Qaeda in 2010 urged its followers to use trucks as a weapon.

In London on March 22 this year, a man in a car ploughed into pedestrians on Westminster Bridge, killing four, and then stabbed a policeman to death before being shot by police.

Islamic State claimed responsibility for both an attack in Nice, France, last July, when a truck killed 86 people celebrating Bastille Day, and one in Berlin in December, when a truck smashed through a Christmas market, killing 12 people.

(Reporting by Stockholm newsroom,; editing by Angus MacSwan)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-04-07

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's ok, the media and politicians will soon be telling us that this sort of thing happens in large cities around  Europe, nothing to worry about, it's becoming the norm.  Just carry on with your daily routine and don't be cowed.

You are all misguided. The people who are doing this are all very nice and have been leading perfect lives. It was a moment of madness that made them do it, not an inbuilt hatred of anyone not sharing their ideological views on Islam.

As the days roll on, we will learn that they were perfect neighbours, led a quiet life and no one had any idea of what they were about to do.

Surely the line has been well and truly crossed.

Awful. Too much of this happening recently, and obviously protecting against a random car/truck at every location is impossible.  This course of action is about as low as you can come and yet so many of these people purport to do so in the name of religion?  A very sad religion, if this is all it has to offer.  I hope if there is a God, heaven and hell, that people who do this will burn for eternity in the hottest part.

As a swede, I'm not surprised about this at all. The blood is on the hands of our naive left-wing politicians, and the media.

And by the way. All the reports you hear about Sweden and our failed immigration policies are 100% true. Trump is right, Sweden is no longer safe, especially in the bigger cities.

I love my country, but the country I love doesn't really exist any more..

Edited by ricku

1 hour ago, sotsira said:

It's ok, the media and politicians will soon be telling us that this sort of thing happens 

in large cities around  Europe, nothing to worry about, it's becoming the norm. 

Just carry on with your daily routine and don't be cowed.

Unfortunately, it does happen. As I said in the Westminster topic; it does seem that these vehicular attacks are on the increase in Europe; whilst organised, pre planned attacks are declining. One explanation for this being the increasing success of the security services in identifying and preventing attacks involving groups using explosives or weapons before they happen. That success doubtless being due in part to intelligence gathered from within the Muslim community.

Far easier for an individual to hire, steal or hijack a vehicle than for an individual or group to obtain explosives or guns and transport them to the target without detection.

But just as I and my fellow Brits were not cowed by the IRA, Europeans today should not be cowed by these terrorists; if we are, then the terrorist wins!

Vigilant, yes; cautious, yes.

But we will continue with our usual daily routine and not be cowed!

The terrorists want to spread hate, division and fear. Don't let them; don't help them.

Well cheers to the BBC for using the word terrorist already and putting up a pic of the main person of interest. CNN just can't say the word, put up a pic of him and have the wrong number of deaths. CNN sucks. 

1 hour ago, englishinsiam said:

The friends of peace and tolerance strike again. Well i for one am rapidly losing what little tolerance i had for them.

1 hour ago, RickBradford said:

More cultural enrichment on the streets of Europe, brought to you by the blessed Religion of Peace.

Both wrong.

More death brought to the streets of Europe by murderers who pervert their claimed religion in order to sow hate, division and fear for political ends.

As has been shown time and time again these people do not represent Islam, are not supported by the vast majority of Muslims and are, and have been for many years, repeatedly condemned by Muslims of all sects around the world.

Fact: ISIS and similar groups have killed far more Muslims, Shia and Sunni, than they have non Muslims. One example: Baghdad bombing: Iraqis remind world that most of Isis' victims are Muslims after more than 160 killed.

Ah this is just more of that beautiful cultural enrichment the left is always going on about and if you don't want these lovely peaceful acts of kindness in your country then you're just an islamaphobic, racist PoS. Waaaaaah!!!

Edited by Rigby40

Unfortunately, it does happen. As I said in the Westminster topic; it does seem that these vehicular attacks are on the increase in Europe; whilst organised, pre planned attacks are declining. One explanation for this being the increasing success of the security services in identifying and preventing attacks involving groups using explosives or weapons before they happen. That success doubtless being due in part to intelligence gathered from within the Muslim community.   Far easier for an individual to hire, steal or hijack a vehicle than for an individual or group to obtain explosives or guns and transport them to the target without detection.  

But just as I and my fellow Brits were not cowed by the IRA, Europeans today should not be cowed by these terrorists; if we are, then the terrorist wins!

Vigilant, yes; cautious, yes.

But we will continue with our usual daily routine and not be cowed!

The terrorists want to spread hate, division and fear. Don't let them; don't help them.

We're not cowed, scared, but in desperate thought on how can we stop this happening.My thought is expensive but doable and will stop people hijacking cars, trucks, whatever.Mandatory thumb print lock on the door and for ignition. All cars would have to be fitted. Taxpayer money.

Iris scan too is another way.

Now, hiring a truck or buying a new one, or borrowing one, still can be solved using advanced technology. You'll see, this terror will stop we just need to put our thinking caps on.

wasn't i right in thinking on the lorry terrorist attack the lorry was hi-jacked and the driver was a hero, so the post about finger printing is a non starter , they will just high jack innocent drivers at gunpoint

wasn't i right in thinking on the lorry terrorist attack the lorry was hi-jacked and the driver was a hero, so the post about finger printing is a non starter , they will just high jack innocent drivers at gunpoint

Negative thoughts don't help anyone, a trip to the temple for you my lad.

14 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

He needs to apologise for being the unfunniest, most irritating guy on tv. 

Innumeracy: Mathematical Illiteracy and its Consequences is a 1988 book by mathematician John Allen Paulos about "innumeracy," a term he embraced to describe the mathematical equivalent of illiteracy: incompetence with numbers rather than words. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innumeracy_(book)

50 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

We're not cowed, scared, but in desperate thought on how can we stop this happening.My thought is expensive but doable and will stop people hijacking cars, trucks, whatever.Mandatory thumb print lock on the door and for ignition. All cars would have to be fitted. Taxpayer money.

Iris scan too is another way.

Now, hiring a truck or buying a new one, or borrowing one, still can be solved using advanced technology. You'll see, this terror will stop we just need to put our thinking caps on.

Great idea so what happens when said terrorist rips out eye of the owner for iris recognition access? 

Just now, tukkytuktuk said:

Watching too many movies are we?

With the events we are seeing on a daily basis the movies are no longer where craziness happens. Crap idea though just more harm to the owner of vehicle.

Again: these are guys embittered by a cultural inferiority complex. I seem to be the only person with that insight, and the situation won't improve until the world understands that and tackles the issue at source.

There is no logic in assuming this has anything to do with immigration - immigrants have more reason to feel grateful to their host countries than to attack them. If they didn't happen to be living in western countries, then they'd be killing western tourists on holiday instead. 

7 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

Again: these are guys embittered by a cultural inferiority complex. I seem to be the only person with that insight, and the situation won't improve until the world understands that and tackles the issue at source. 

Are you DT in disguise? How can you help us, please? I bow to your unique insight.

So Trump can predict the future?  No terrorist attacks in Stockholm a few weeks ago , even if Donald was convinced.  

Now he can repeat the message if he wants to .  

14 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

There is no logic in assuming this has anything to do with immigration

Serious? You must kidding. Or you live in North Korea. I wonder how you got internet.