‘Reckless’ Songkran revellers get suspended jail terms

rooster59

‘Reckless’ Songkran revellers get suspended jail terms

By Preewadi Wichaiprasit
The Nation

88ca310369889998983250369294354d.jpeg

Six young Songkran revellers were yesterday jailed for 15 days and fined Bt5,000 each for throwing bags of cooking oil and fish sauce at passers-by in their seaside province on Wednesday night.

Chon Buri Provincial Court suspended each prison sentence for one year and required the six young men to perform 12 hours of public service and to report to probation officers every three months. 

One defendant who couldn't afford to pay the fine was detained at the rate of Bt500 per day.

Another two men were found to have thrown water in plastic bags and were each fined Bt1,000 by police, while two minors were sent to a juvenile facility to be dealt with.

The charges against the six men were brought under the Criminal Code's sections 389 and 397.

The first of these states: “Whoever causes a hard substance to fall on any place in a manner likely to cause harm, trouble or nuisance to a person or causes a filthy thing to dirty a person shall be punished with up to one month in prison and/or up to Bt10,000 in fines”.

Under Section 397 “whoever, in a public place, annoys or bullies another person, or causes the other person to be ashamed or troubled, shall be punished with up to one month in prison and/or up to Bt10,000 in fines”.

Muang Chon Buri police superintendent Pol Colonel Somchok Tapol said the severe punishments to these “reckless” Songkran revellers should serve as a cautionary tale for others whose actions damage the country's tourism.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30312297

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-15

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Under Section 397 “whoever, in a public place, annoys or bullies another person, or causes the other person to be ashamed or troubled, shall be punished with up to one month in prison and/or up to Bt10,000 in fines”.

A bit of a difference in sentence if it ids done in a public place OR on a computer !

6 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Maybe if people going over the top had been punished in previous years we would see less stupidity now.

A bit of fun is one thing, but these lads really were taking the piss.

2 minutes ago, Phuket Man said:

5,000 Baht fine.

That'll teach them. NOT.

There really is no pleasing some people is there? You sooks whinge about everything possible and complain about the ineptitude of the RTP but when they take affirmative action you immediately whinge about how it should have been done earlier or a heavier penalty.

Hiw about a positive response to positive action action. Oh hang on...... you're probably old expats and we know they're the smartest guys in the room with all the answers. That's why they're here and not home making millions with their smarts.

Good, ทำหน้าที่ให้ถูกต้อง, serves them right! Why can't individuals be more respectful?

A few years back, my friend was almost blinded after water was shoot at his eye.

Personally, the idea of people having a good time is great, but during Songkran, I try my best, not to indulge, purely because of the possible, and unnecessary, risks to my health...

It's very sad, I have this negative opinion because I , and I'm sure many more of us too, would really like to be a part of the celebrations. But yet again, too much, too loud, too over the top and too dangerous.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Good

Songkran  has become a festival for hurting and humiliating people in certain quarters.

We need to go back to what it was in 1977 when I first came to Thailand when Songkran was still for other than hooligans who like to see suffering and pain from their victims.

In many ways, Songkran and how it is now "celebrated" is a representation of how far Thai society has deteriorated since 1977.

In my opinion, much of that is due to the adoption of non-Thai "western" values.

Just my opinion.

17 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Good

Songkran  has become a festival for hurting and humiliating people in certain quarters.

We need to go back to what it was in 1977 when I first came to Thailand when Songkran was still for other than hooligans who like to see suffering and pain from their victims.

In many ways, Songkran and how it is now "celebrated" is a representation of how far Thai society has deteriorated since 1977.

In my opinion, much of that is due to the adoption of non-Thai "western" values.

Just my opinion.

I agree and actually when I came here it was mostly done very respectfully which actually made it a joyous occasion rather than an excuse for loutish behaviour as it has become today.   Of course with the spread of social media ,  and the apparent loutish behaviour vying for "Likes" on Facebook is it any wonder it has degenerated to the animal behaviour so common these days ? When you have a basically an under educated new generation whose lives seems pivotal around the smartphone that results in loss of personal social interaction due to social media, I fear it will only get much worse, certainly until Thai society in general accepts personal responsibility is a feature of a civilised lifestyle.

Edited by whatawonderfulday

47 minutes ago, pentap said:

Good, ทำหน้าที่ให้ถูกต้อง, serves them right! Why can't individuals be more respectful?

A few years back, my friend was almost blinded after water was shoot at his eye.

I got doused by a super soaker a few years back, the pressure shot the dirty water deep into my ear - got a horrible inner ear infection that took about two months to fully get rid of.  I wasn't even playing, just trying to get by.

22 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Good

Just my opinion.

Sorry, but you can't blame this behaviour on the west. 

12 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

I agree and actually when I came here it was mostly done very respectfully which actually made it a joyous occasion rather than an excuse for loutish behaviour as it has become today.   Of course with the spread of social media ,  and the apparent loutish behaviour vying for "Likes" on Facebook is it any wonder it has degenerated to the animal behaviour so common these days ? When you have a basically an under educated new generation whose lives seems pivotal around the smartphone that results in loss of personal social interaction due to social media, I fear it will only get much worse, certainly until Thai society in general accepts personal responsibility is a feature of a civilised lifestyle.

The pursuit of "likes" certainly does have a lot to answer for in these types of incidents. 

Should have gaoled them and let them post on life in gaol. 

Just now, Bluespunk said:

The pursuit of "likes" certainly does have a lot to answer for in these types of incidents. 

Should have gaoled them and let them post on life in gaol. 

And take away their mobile for 5 years !

10 minutes ago, tominbkk said:

I got doused by a super soaker a few years back, the pressure shot the dirty water deep into my ear - got a horrible inner ear infection that took about two months to fully get rid of.  I wasn't even playing, just trying to get by.

Personally shut myself away in a decent resort until the "fun and games" are over. 

Let those who wish to play do so, but I want no part of it. 

the old ''dog and pony show'' and they all paraded down beach rd/freeway,in their suits and followed by military vehicles which did nothing but create yet more traffic problems..this water ambushing is out of control,but the revenue is huge for pattaya..so  it will never end...with that said..it appears the water is not the filthy frozen canal water but is trucked in this year..now if the baht bus ambushes and the ''aim for the face''''would end,it might be tolerable...

Big Punishment! Mom and Dad pay their fines and they go home. One is poor and has to do 10-15 in jail. I would require all

of them to do 15 days in jail and they may learn something. You'll be hearing more about these six idiots in the future!

1 hour ago, cyberfarang said:

I wonder which year it will be when some songkran mindless thugs start throwing acid on people? It`s going to happen, not if but when.

It hasn't happened yet. But now you've mentioned it??????:saai:

WoW - is that a direct translation - so if I cause any person to be troubled or ashamed (such as a vendor trying to rip me off) - Im the one who spends a month in jail and pays a fine?

2 hours ago, MadMuhummad said:

There really is no pleasing some people is there? You sooks whinge about everything possible and complain about the ineptitude of the RTP but when they take affirmative action you immediately whinge about how it should have been done earlier or a heavier penalty.

Hiw about a positive response to positive action action. Oh hang on...... you're probably old expats and we know they're the smartest guys in the room with all the answers. That's why they're here and not home making millions with their smarts.

Well said. Old saying applies here. Damed if you do and damed if you don't. 

I'm all for fun but when these idiots (Thai or Farang) deliberately try to hurt you then yes i would give them max penalty. 

2 hours ago, MadMuhummad said:

I am going to have to disagree with you here, because my post was in no way a complaint about the RTP. Quite the opposite actually.

These youths were throwing piss, fish sauce, dirty engine oil over passing motorists. Fair play to the cops for catching and nailing them so swiftly.

My point was that Songkran is not what it used to be: people were polite and gave you a light splash. The trend in recent years has been for it to be far more aggressive and there have been no checks on people behaving stupidly and recklessly.

I am all for a bit of fun, but I would have been way less than impressed if one of these idiots had chucked that sort of sh1t on me.

1 hour ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Just my opinion.

I think you are being quite selective here with "Western Values". There are a host of very positive western values

Equality or genders, religion, ethnicity and sexual persuasion.

Equaity before the law for all (now we needn't go into that one in Thailand shall we) 

Freedom of conciousness and expression

The right to an education

The right to live free from fear and intimidation

There are a great number of outstanding UN human rights conventions and protocols (mainly instigated by western countries) that Thailand really does need to sign.

http://hrlibrary.umn.edu/research/ratification-thailand.html

Songkran celebrations are a bit excessive and rowdy - But that is just because we are older, grumpier and like the quiet life. Give the youth their chance to be young, stupid and wildly optimistic. They have the rest of their lives to be miserable, pessimistic old gits. 

3 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

I wonder which year it will be when some songkran mindless thugs start throwing acid on people? It`s going to happen, not if but when.

Don't start giving them ideas, you know what these peoples mentality is like.

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Six young Songkran revellers were yesterday jailed for 15 days and fined Bt5,000 each for throwing bags of cooking oil and fish sauce at passers-by in their seaside province on Wednesday night.

Only 15 days :cheesy::cheesy:

4 hours ago, pentap said:

Personally, the idea of people having a good time is great, but during Songkran, I try my best, not to indulge, purely because of the possible, and unnecessary, risks to my health...

It's very sad, I have this negative opinion because I , and I'm sure many more of us too, would really like to be a part of the celebrations. But yet again, too much, too loud, too over the top and too dangerous.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I am with you just to dangerous. Some jerk almost blasted off my glasses on Wednesday and Songkran had not even officially started. 

4 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

It has happened and it was a foreigner who put an acid mix in a water gun many years ago in Pattaya. He was caught by the police but no idea what happened to him