Bangkok Bank now issuing Visa cards (in Lampang anyway).

A couple of months ago I posted my saga of Bangkok Bank only issuing Union Pay Debit cards and judging by the replies a lot of you were also having similar problems mainly because the Union Pay debit card was not accepted anywhere. I then went on to open an account with Kasikorn Bank as they were still issuing visa cards so all was well. For some time I had been meaning to cancel my Union Pay card and today went to my branch with that intention. I had planned to keep the account open as Bangkok Bank have been very good in other respects over the 12 years or so I have had the account.

Surprise! in the branch I sat down and said I want to cancel my Union Pay Card as it is useless and wanted a Visa card. The clerk just said yes we have Visa card! Without further ado and no questions asked he had cancelled my Union Pay card and issued me with a new Visa card after usual passport formalities and 100 Baht paid. When he opened the drawer he had a handful of Visa Cards. The card itself has a blue and orange chequered pattern and  'rabbit' written on it with a rabbit logo. I am not sure what the rabbit means, perhaps someone can enlighten me, but I have already put the card to the test and it works fine.

In summary after all the earlier problems Bangkok Bank must have finally realised the error of their ways over not issuing Visa Cards. If anyone else has had a similar experience I would be interested to hear!     

16 hours ago, kkerry said:

That is "not" the Bangkok Bank Visa Rabbit card....that a Rabbit card only....not a Bankgok Bank debit card with Rabbit capabilities/benefits.   While the Bangkok Bank card has some Rabbit capabilities/benefits, it looks like below....or at least mine and my wife's which were issued in Dec 16.   Basically a Visa logo card with a Rabbit logo also on it.

Capture.JPG.36f492bde4341f18bbb2486f2a308611.JPG

I know it's not the BB card but posted in reply to: 

I am not sure what the rabbit means, perhaps someone can enlighten me  :smile:

Rabbit is the first e-money service in Thailand with a common ticketing platform between BTS and any participating mass transit systems while extending its usage into retail, service and tourism sectors to meet your smarter life.

I use Rabbit to travel on the BTS in BKK, and in some food halls in the malls to pay for meals. Siam Paragon and EmQuartier both take Rabbit for food payment. You just swipe on the card reader. I presume your debit card will have similar capabilities, but best to check with your bank where you can use it..

Thanks for the replies. Yes Pib that's the card I got, the orange one. Unlikely I would need the Rabbit function here in Lampang anyway. I suspect as a result of the Union Card failure Bangkok Bank are now issuing Visa cards again and using up old stock.  

• 5 weeks later...

Yes they are but still they insist on getting a UnionPay at first. I went through this a week ago but, they do not issue you one immediately like how they used to. They take a week atleast here in Bangkok.