Invading monitor lizard scares homeowner

webfact

Invading monitor lizard scares homeowner
By The Nation

e7b8a3d8422889b7bafde88dab6e79fd.jpeg

SAMUT PRAKARN: -- A distraught homeowner called for help when a two-metre-long monitor lizard invaded her townhouse in Samut Prakan on Tuesday.

When the rescuers arrived at the home on Kitti Nakhon housing estate in Tambon Bang Bor of Samut Prakan’s Bang Bor district, they found the monitor lizard hanging to the iron grills of the front door of the house.

The reptile was captured and tied to a stretcher.

It was then released into the wild in a remote area of the province.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30312696

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-19

there was a story like this a few years ago...they are timid creatures and it was spooked and was trying to escape, I had the same happen some years ago but it was a baby only about 1m long...I gave it a prod with a broom handle and a way out and it ran off down the road...

they appear lethargic but can move very fast when spooked...reptile adrenalin...

19 hours ago, DrTuner said:

2m long, eh? The door must be 4m high then. Quite a castle.

Stretched out including tail it would almost be as long as the door is high. So 2 meter sounds about right.

The largest 1 I've ever encountered (or care to) was on a fishing trip with a Thai friend down in Prechuapkirikhan. We were wading in the water, skirting the rocky hill heading out to the end of the jetty when I noticed a slim tail in front of us. Pointed it out and my friend grabbed me back. Just then, it's head appeared at the top of the rock we were about to go around some 2 meters above us but the tip of it's tail was still in the water.

It gave us an annoyed look and lept from the rock to the hill covering a good 3 meters and went crashing off through the jungle. It sounded like an elephant from some old movie crashing it's way on up the hill.

On 20/04/2017 at 11:18 AM, NCC1701A said:

harmless. let it be.

Totally agree let it be. But harmless anything but. They bite wipp you with their tails and claw you. The mouth is full of bacteria and it has just been discoverd their bite has poison in it . We have one near us in Sahmut Prakan must be nearly 3 mtrs long.It lives in a stagnant pond in a temple.People come and feed it with chicken carcasses.