UK General Election

3 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Yes appoint someone to be a proxy voter is legal I know this is do it always. To be put in touch with a group who you don't know who will use your vote as they want and as it's a labour supporter instigated thread, do you really think they will follow your wishes LOL only way they will get more votes come on people open your eyes

Good point, when I was in the armed forces we voted by proxy, I nominated my mother and asked her to vote Conservative for me, but she always voted Labour with my vote. If you can't trust your mother, who can you trust?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Yes appoint someone to be a proxy voter is legal I know this is do it always. To be put in touch with a group who you don't know who will use your vote as they want and as it's a labour supporter instigated thread, do you really think they will follow your wishes LOL only way they will get more votes come on people open your eyes

It is true this is a Labour instigated thread as the OP makes clear. Subsequently it was suggested that you contact the constituency party of your choice to request a proxy. To facilitate this process for potential Labour Party voters an additional service is provided. Fairly obvious, people are not stupid.

4 hours ago, ianh68 said:

For those of you in need of proxies, I can put you in touch with a group who will try and find one for you if you wish. PM only please.

Then you come up with this clear and unambiguous statement. You are correct Most people aren't fools. Can see through this like rice paper

On 26/04/2017 at 6:51 PM, Eff1n2ret said:

In practice it's almost impossible. The ballot papers can't be sent out until the deadline for nominations of candidates has passed - 19 working days before the date of the election. Then the papers have to be printed and despatched. That must be a minimum of 5 working days, so it's going to be about 3 weeks from election day before they're posted. To rely on receiving a ballot paper in Thailand and returning it to be received before polling day is over-optimistic.

The only practical way is to have a proxy, which works if you have someone you can trust, and it is convenient for them to attend your polling station. They can apply to cast your vote by post, but if you're not already registered and have a nominated proxy there may not be enough time to sort all that out for the coming election. My son votes for me by post, the registration has to be renewed every year.

Everyone was fretting like this for the referendum but in reality everything went very smoothly. My ballot paper arrived in Thailand within a few days of being sent and went I returned it by registered post it arrived at my local council within a few days.

I think relying on your son is overoptimistic, unless you're 100% sure he votes the same way you do.

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

Then you come up with this clear and unambiguous statement. You are correct Most people aren't fools. Can see through this like rice paper

That statement could have been better worded, I am prepared to admit but (and you can believe me or not) there was and is no deception involved.

29 minutes ago, ianh68 said:

That statement could have been better worded, I am prepared to admit but (and you can believe me or not) there was and is no deception involved.

Let me try and put the record straight. You are right jeab1980 to point out the ambiguity of the statement which was unintentional but for which I apologise. It should have read:

For those intending to vote Labour who are in need of proxies, I can put you in touch with a group who will try and find one for you if you wish. PM only please.

I repeat there was and is no deception intended.

Edited by ianh68
On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 0:16 PM, Eff1n2ret said:

I read nong38's post as "10/1 on" - which is how we would say it. On the bookie's chalkboard at Wetherby (the last racecourse I attended about 50 years ago) it would be shown as 1/10.

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 5:37 AM, nong38 said:

You do read it correctly but perhaps I had not made it as clear as I could. odd on for Conservative victory.

My apologies; I did, indeed, misread the original post!

I can't speak about 30 years ago, but these days when a customer asks for odds we always say "1 to 10" rather than "10 to 1 on" to avoid such misunderstandings.

3 hours ago, 7by7 said:

My apologies; I did, indeed, misread the original post!

I can't speak about 30 years ago, but these days when a customer asks for odds we always say "1 to 10" rather than "10 to 1 on" to avoid such misunderstandings.

Reminds me of a teacher who suggested/insisted upon "Day/Month/Year" whenever dates had to be written down, and that the month needed to be 3 letters wherever possible.

Today is 02 May 17. Anyone failing to understand where he was coming from need look no further than '9/11' for an example of the sort of confusion highlighted above. In much of the world this refers to the Ninth of November...

To bring this back on topic the election is on 08 Jun 17 :smile:

Edited by evadgib
On 4/30/2017 at 9:05 AM, Eff1n2ret said:

"the UK Govt" doesn't send out ballot papers. They are sent out by individual local authorities. It's difficult to believe there was a concerted conspiracy across the country to obstruct the issue of ballot papers

Having applied under FoI and complained via the appropriate channels in real time the evidence received in reply lead to no other conclusion:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/07/expats-postal-vote-delays-disenfranchised

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatnews/11584068/Expats-in-uproar-over-missing-ballot-papers.html

In the 21st Century a seamless digital service should be the norm, rather than relying on a mode of delivery devised in the 19th!

RMSRHONEVIRGINISLANDSPOSTCARDatvirginstamps.jpg

Edited by evadgib
added links
16 hours ago, evadgib said:

In the 21st Century a seamless digital service should be the norm, rather than relying on a mode of delivery devised in the 19th!

The news reports you link suggest, IMHO, cockup rather than conspiracy, but it's undeniable that the system doesn't work very well. I totally agree with you that they should be able to find some way for us to vote (not just register) online. However, they must foolproof any system against fraud and hacking. As I'm registered with the "Government Gateway" to do online tax returns, maybe they should find a way to hook up with that.

1 hour ago, Eff1n2ret said:

The news reports you link suggest, IMHO, cockup rather than conspiracy, but it's undeniable that the system doesn't work very well. I totally agree with you that they should be able to find some way for us to vote (not just register) online. However, they must foolproof any system against fraud and hacking. As I'm registered with the "Government Gateway" to do online tax returns, maybe they should find a way to hook up with that.

A report into the 2015 GE was due in July of that year and was expected to include this issue. As far as I'm aware the report never materialised. 

Edited by evadgib
3 hours ago, evadgib said:

A report into the 2015 GE was due in July of that year and was expected to include this issue. As far as I'm aware the report never materialised. 

A bit like the report into Tory MP election expenses fraud in the 2015 GE ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAp2KQX5ZXo

Sorry, couldn't resist that. Anyway, to get back to the main point of this thread. Everybody please register and vote. Don't just sit on the sidelines.

58 minutes ago, ianh68 said:

A bit like the report into Tory MP election expenses fraud in the 2015 GE ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAp2KQX5ZXo

Sorry, couldn't resist that. Anyway, to get back to the main point of this thread. Everybody please register and vote. Don't just sit on the sidelines.

Or the illegal war Blair and the labour party took us into.

On 27/04/2017 at 11:00 AM, ianh68 said:

Anything that requires a signature can be printed, signed, scanned and returned electronically.

Thanks for the information. Do all local Electoral Registration Office allow the returning of documents via email or online portals?

1 hour ago, alanrchase said:

Has the 15 year outside of the UK rule been changed yet?

No. The legislation was due for debate in Parliament but missed out now that Parliament has been dissolved. It is intended to bring it back in the new Parliament.

On 04/05/2017 at 10:51 PM, Morakot said:

Thanks for the information. Do all local Electoral Registration Office allow the returning of documents via email or online portals?

Attached is everything I have manged to put together on registering and proxy voting. My understanding is that all local authorities allow electronic transfer of documents and some allow registration over the phone (see attached).

Proxy etc.docx

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

I gather May is promising MPs  a new vote on fox hunting when she wins the election?

Standard promise never happens. Would be good if they get a massive majority to vote it legal again.

14 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Standard promise never happens. Would be good if they get a massive majority to vote it legal again.

Everyone to their own :sad:.

I was quite hopeful that May had recognised that it was time to start addressing the things that were making so many voters angry - and then she comes out with 'I like foxhunting and will let MPs vote on the subject again', or words to that effect...

That one statement makes me seriously question whether my initial 'hope' was seriously wrong.  She is more likely to use the increased majority to reflect the worst side of the tory party.:sad:

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

Everyone to their own :sad:.

I was quite hopeful that May had recognised that it was time to start addressing the things that were making so many voters angry - and then she comes out with 'I like foxhunting and will let MPs vote on the subject again', or words to that effect...

That one statement makes me seriously question whether my initial 'hope' was seriously wrong.  She is more likely to use the increased majority to reflect the worst side of the tory party.:sad:

You will know the Conservatives have always wanted it to be legal again. I come from a hunt background and have no quams with hunting at all. But this is a thread on the UK election and im going off at a tangent. 

Many years ago , i decided to leave UK ,   so  i do not vote on the destiny of a country,

which i chose to leave .  Ex Brit now living as a alien in Thailand , not of this world .

Dream  on , live in hope ,   God bless the Junta . 

Edited by elliss
Many years ago , i decided to leave UK ,   so  i do not vote on the destiny of a country,
    which i chose to leave .  Ex Brit now living as a alien in Thailand , not of this world .

Dream  on , live in hope ,   God bless the Junta . 

If you left over 15 years ago you have no choice! I'm not sure God or the Junta have much interest in each other.