Taking Thai motocycle to Laos (2017)

There's tons of threads and articles, but all of them are from 2012 or 2013. Does anybody have experience from 2017?

I have Thai motocycle registered in my name.

I would like to enter Laos by NongKhai - Vientiane (Friendship bridge). (1) At this crossing it's possible, right?

(2) I just need my passport and green motocycle book? Nothing else?

(3) I will simply arrive in the morning at the border. Go to Customs, fill forms for motocycle. Then go to Immigration to stamp my passport and will be allowed to cross?

(4) Will I get Laos insurance at Thai customs?

(5) Is there any paperwork at Laos side?

My plan is to return to Thailand at Savannakhet - Mukdahan (Frienship bridge). (6) It's possible here, right?

Thank you.

I can be wrong, as I didn’t checked it for some time – but since Thailand has banned all foreign registered motorcycles entering Thailand... It would be not un-logical for Laos doing something similar. I would recommend that you contact the Laos embassy in Bangkok for the most up-to-date information.

I not have an email from the Laos embassy, but you can call them during business hours at 02-539-6679

What size engine? I understand leaving Thailand at Nong Khai they can be a bit funny.

Green book + translation of book, local transport office will do this.

Insurance is up to you, but usually you would buy when you enter Laos.

There is paperwork to leave and paperwork when you arrive. Keep it all, some will be asked for on return.

2 hours ago, chrissables said:

What size engine? I understand leaving Thailand at Nong Khai they can be a bit funny.

Green book + translation of book, local transport office will do this.

Insurance is up to you, but usually you would buy when you enter Laos.

There is paperwork to leave and paperwork when you arrive. Keep it all, some will be asked for on return.

300ccm (Kawasaki Z300)

Translation of book? To what language (it's registered in Thailand and book is in Thai).

What border crossing would you recommend?

Edited by howard ashoul

2 hours ago, Richard-BKK said:

I can be wrong, as I didn’t checked it for some time – but since Thailand has banned all foreign registered motorcycles entering Thailand... It would be not un-logical for Laos doing something similar. I would recommend that you contact the Laos embassy in Bangkok for the most up-to-date information.

I not have an email from the Laos embassy, but you can call them during business hours at 02-539-6679

That's the problem. Every crossing have its own rules. So calling Lao embassy won't do it. Maybe calling NongKhain/Vientiane border.... .

Last month we entered at Chiang Kong, exit at Vientiane. Seems these are the only borders you can recently use.
Translation of green book to English. Available at DLT.
Insurance in Laos is necessary, easy to get and not expensive.

11 hours ago, howard ashoul said:

300ccm (Kawasaki Z300)

Translation of book? To what language (it's registered in Thailand and book is in Thai).

What border crossing would you recommend?

Hi, as i understand it a big bike is no problem. Some crossing try to stop lots of small bike.

The local transport office must translate your green book. It changes the Thai script number plate to English. Take your green book, passport with copies of photo and visa page etc.

I have always crossed in North Nan and back at Vientiane, with a big bike i don't think there are issues at any crossing. But........

5 hours ago, georgy said:

Last month we entered at Chiang Kong, exit at Vientiane. Seems these are the only borders you can recently use.
Translation of green book to English. Available at DLT.
Insurance in Laos is necessary, easy to get and not expensive.

4 hours ago, chrissables said:

Hi, as i understand it a big bike is no problem. Some crossing try to stop lots of small bike.

The local transport office must translate your green book. It changes the Thai script number plate to English. Take your green book, passport with copies of photo and visa page etc.

I have always crossed in North Nan and back at Vientiane, with a big bike i don't think there are issues at any crossing. But........

Translation is only available at Bangkok?

50 minutes ago, howard ashoul said:

Translation is only available at Bangkok?

the translation is called "vehicle registration certificate".

You can get at any DLT.

Pranburi needs 20min processing time, last time I did in Chiang Mai. They needed 1 week. TIT

Edited by georgy