PCX Owners - Locking the bike.... am I missing something?

OK guys, picture this. The PCX costs 70% more than other worthy bikes such as the FIlano, or the Scoopy. It's a different league yes, but... there are a couple of aspects that leave me headscratching, one of them is the way to lock it.

If I want to park a FIlano or a Scoopy and walk away... I have to: 1 - Turn the key into the lock position, put the key in my pocket and go about my business.

If I want to park a PCX I have to: 1 - Turn the knob into the lock position - 2 - Look into my pocket for the fob - 3 - Visually identify which of the 3 buttons I have to press to lock the bike - 4 - check visually that the lock has been engaged (there is a minuscule led on the fob which goes green for half a second, if you miss it you have to start again), this has to be done visually as there is no audible signal.

Same thing in reverse when I go back to the bike and I want to drive away.

Now my question: the PCX user experience on this matter is awful, time consuming, prone to error (what if I don't lock it properly, I will not know it unless I try), no spare if I lose the fob, needs visual and touch interaction etc.

Is this really possible or am I missing something? I hope someone answers me and tells me that the lock can actually self-engage without me having to engage it manually every time.

And what if I lose the fob? Is there a way to replace it without breaking the bank?

Thanks in advance PCX owners :)

straydog

To all PCX detractors, :)

I think I am an idiot lol... for weeks I was wondering about the much celebrated smart key and I couldn't figure out why all the fuss really, hence my post above. Then yesterday I had - after posting this - the idea of looking this up online and.... the magic happened... I figured it out!

The smart key is smart because it locks and unlocks the bike for you. No need to do all the messy stuff I mentioned above clicking on the button to engage the lock, wait for the green light on the fob etc.

Simply put the bike knob in the lock position (this will lock the bike within seconds and you can hear an audible signal) walk away and when you come back turn the knob back into the engine on position, the lock checks if you have the fob on you and let's you start the bike.

So, what was I doing wrong? Well, since I didn't know that the lock actually detects the fob within 6ft (manual is in Thai and shop didn't tell me, well certainly didn't tell me in English), I was simply thinking that the bike wasn't ever locked, since it was always starting up for me. This made me engage the lock manually every time. Silly me, the bike was opening up for me because the fob was in my pocket, but it wouldn't have started for anybody else... I tried this morning and that's exactly the case...

So, one more reason to have a PCX :)

Thanks for the err... 'useful' answers :)

straydog

Edited by canerandagio

I must admit that I never do it myself, but when I bought my PCX, I was told that it is safer to also turn off the remote when leaving the bike. 

By that I mean so that the red light shows on it, and not the green.

I don't know why.

4 hours ago, phetphet said:

I must admit that I never do it myself, but when I bought my PCX, I was told that it is safer to also turn off the remote when leaving the bike. 

By that I mean so that the red light shows on it, and not the green.

I don't know why.

First of all you are right, the red light locks the bike and the green light unlocks it.

This said, my view is that I would not give much or any credit to what the sales assistant told you. How could it be 'safer'? Would it mean that it doesn't work all the time?

And - even if that was the case, which I am positively convinced it's not - chances that someone checks if your bike starts with the intention of stealing it right at the time when - by some bad luck - the self-locking mechanism hadn't engaged properly are one has to admit very very slim.

One could turn this on its head saying that perhaps - if the locking mechanism is that flaky - it could be that it doesn't engage properly when actioned through the remote, rather than when self-engaging, after all the remote is 'remote', so more chances of it going wrong.

Moral of the story: enjoy the technology and stop waiting for green and red lights, let the bike do it all for you, after all you paid for it :)

18 hours ago, Agusts said:

You didn't address the part what happens if you loose the fob... ! Don't they give you a spare... !? How much are the replacement anyway...

I don't know how much a replacement would be, and I don't know how they would know ho to code it for my bike either... anyone knows (could it have to do with a barcoded plastic tag I was given?).

And no, no spare given when the bike was purchased.

On 02/05/2017 at 7:54 AM, Henryford said:

One of the many disadvantages of owning a PCX.

One of my bikes is a PCX I use a disk lock too. Not found any disadvantages, but I'd like to know what many others are? 

This takes me back to an earlier story. Remember the lady having the rave because the gas station attendant could not open the fuel filler cap?

The bike involved was a Honda Airblade, a new model not available here (yet), but on sale in Vietnam and Malaysia. That also has a 'smart key' system.

I wonder, did the rave lady wander off with the fob on her person, making it impossible for the attendant to do his duty?

Anyway, glad to hear that the OP has resolved the issue and is now happy with his PCX.

I'm hoping to replace my Click with one myself later this year.

Happy and safe riding.

Unfortunately most 2-wheelers can be simply lifted onto the back of a pick-up truck never to be seen again...!

You probably be doing the same at some point when the fob get's lost or fails.

Does the alarm go off if you lift the bike onto a pickup truck... !? What if someone touches it in the parking lot, even while parking next to it - imagine all the noise going off, we had the cars and now the bikes... !

I have had PCX's for many years,

When you park there are 2 ways to lock the bike.

• Turn the handle bars fully left or right and remove the key. When you return you will need to insert the head of the key into a slot below the key hole to open the key hole slot.

If you set the remote alarm then you need to de-activate on your return,

• Do not turn the handle bars as above and withdraw the key from the slot and when you return to your PCX (if it is still there) you can insert the key as normal and drive off.

8 hours ago, ToddinChonburi said:

The fob is to set the alarm .  The key is to lock the stering.    That dimple. 

The latest models don't have a key as such, just something called a "Smartkey".

Basically it's just like the remote used to open a car, and you just turn a switch to turn on the electrics.

To lock the steering, you just turn the handlebar to the  left, and turn the switch to lock. no keys used at all.

14 hours ago, canerandagio said:

I don't know how much a replacement would be, and I don't know how they would know ho to code it for my bike either... anyone knows (could it have to do with a barcoded plastic tag I was given?).

And no, no spare given when the bike was purchased.

Not cheap. I bought a spare when I bought my bike. Around THB1,600 if I recall correctly.

The guy tried to persuade me not to because the mechanic had to remove a panel and code the extra fob to the bike. He played around somewhere near the battery.

On 02/05/2017 at 11:02 AM, canerandagio said:

First of all you are right, the red light locks the bike and the green light unlocks it.

This said, my view is that I would not give much or any credit to what the sales assistant told you. How could it be 'safer'? Would it mean that it doesn't work all the time?

And - even if that was the case, which I am positively convinced it's not - chances that someone checks if your bike starts with the intention of stealing it right at the time when - by some bad luck - the self-locking mechanism hadn't engaged properly are one has to admit very very slim.

One could turn this on its head saying that perhaps - if the locking mechanism is that flaky - it could be that it doesn't engage properly when actioned through the remote, rather than when self-engaging, after all the remote is 'remote', so more chances of it going wrong.

Moral of the story: enjoy the technology and stop waiting for green and red lights, let the bike do it all for you, after all you paid for it :)

Perhaps it's safer to turn the smartkey off so that it's battery lasts longer?  If it goes flat, could you start the bike?

I'll probably be buying a PCX in a few months, so it would be useful to know these things.  :smile:

On 02/05/2017 at 2:03 AM, canthai55 said:

Buy first class insurance. Turn off bike. Remove key. Walk away.

I never use the fob, ignition cover lock, or anything else.

Can you get it for a motorbike these days. Used to be it was either not found or was very expensive due to high levels of theft and theft scams?

Looking at a PCX recently, they are way expensive.

5 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Bought mine 2015. Had First Class every year since. Tokio Marine

Can you tell me more?

What it covers and how much you pay?

What docs you need to provide?

Does it cover only one driver?

I'm looking for one, so you can easily sell it to me, just give me some details, including cover name, documents I need to provide, do I need a certificate of residency?

Thanks in advance,

straydog