Immigration home visit.

2 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i bet you there is not a single case where it worked out cheaper to just get a marriage visa. all the guys i know who got married to a thai girl lost more than 400 000thb. 10 years in thailand and i dont know a single case of a successful western thai marriage.

I suspect that there are plenty of guys on "retirement visas" that are paying far more keeping their 'girlfriend' in tow than people like myself in a "successful western thai marriage".

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I know of several including mine.

Some I know of have been married for over 40 years.

I also have been happily married 10 years......no problem. Also , of the foreign friends I know that are married , they have also been married a long time.

The only couple I know of who had problems lived in Pattaya and the temptations got too much for them and it gradually went pear shaped.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

question. why do people get marriage visas when retirement visas are so much easier to get? (as long as you are over 50 that is) marriage visas seem to be difficult. 

I would suggest from people I know who have marriage visas that it is because you only need to have half the amount of money in the bank that is required for a retirement extension.

10 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I would suggest from people I know who have marriage visas that it is because you only need to have half the amount of money in the bank that is required for a retirement extension.

• And the money only needs to be tied up for 2 months rather than 3.
  • And if you're married and a parent some offices will only require the funds to be in the account on the day you apply.

19 hours ago, phutoie2 said:

Oh good, two more of the "I have been living here x number of years and it has never happened to me club" 

And what exactly is your problem with that?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

question. why do people get marriage visas when retirement visas are so much easier to get? (as long as you are over 50 that is) marriage visas seem to be difficult. 

I did extensions based upon marriage because I thought I might want to get a work permit at some point. I switched over to an extension based upon retirement once I decided not to work. You're correct - the retirement extension is much easier.

Well, if your 100% sure its going to be a long term marriage that may suit to get a visa for marriage.

I had a two year relationship with a lady that I thought might lead to something permanent, but was quite relieved to be able to pick up my retirement 800,000 Baht when the relationship ended and  I went back to UK.

Not really an option on a marriage visa I presume.

Edited by Slain
extra 0

You need to hold a post box ;-)

Seriously, they visited me last year and needed a picture of me, the house AND the house number (which is in my case on the post box)

The problem was that my garden is too big and the post box is at the entrance, approx 100 meters away from the house. ,so no way to make a pic with both the house and the post box on it.

So I had to give the gardener a screwdriver so he could bring to postbox to me, and the immigration guy could make a picture of me - holding a red postbox - in front of the house. ;-)

They didn't ask me any questions, but the witnesses (the gardener and the village leader we had to call in) had to sign some kind of declaration. All very weird... 

10 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

Maybe because not every falang with a Thai wife is an old guy?

2 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

read my post again i was referring to those over 50 years old which of course is the vast majority of guys living in thailand married to a thai.

Ah but is it the vast majority?

19 hours ago, U235 said:

You need to hold a post box ;-)

Seriously, they visited me last year and needed a picture of me, the house AND the house number (which is in my case on the post box)

The problem was that my garden is too big and the post box is at the entrance, approx 100 meters away from the house. ,so no way to make a pic with both the house and the post box on it.

So I had to give the gardener a screwdriver so he could bring to postbox to me, and the immigration guy could make a picture of me - holding a red postbox - in front of the house. ;-)

They didn't ask me any questions, but the witnesses (the gardener and the village leader we had to call in) had to sign some kind of declaration. All very weird... 

They are following orders from above......

5 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Yes it is so damn true that not even a generalization-denier could argue against it my friend...

Glegolo

Whos arguing apart from you have you got any proof of it my Non friend

3 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Whos arguing apart from you have you got any proof of it my Non friend

Dont need any links or proof for such obvious things...

Just look around, if you come here some time, that is..

Glegolo

1 minute ago, glegolo said:

Dont need any links or proof for such obvious things...

Just look around, if you come here some time, that is..

Glegolo

Oh dear yet another im right so dont argue. Beacuse im here and your not type of guy. Facts and figures prove a theory not your opinion. 

2 minutes ago, transam said:

But what does it matter...?

Maybe you should quote another post... i.e. the post that started this question.... Maybe more fulfilling for you Mr Transam..

Glegolo

Maybe you should quote another post... i.e. the post that started this question.... Maybe more fulfilling for you Mr Transam..

Glegolo

Nothing to do with me being fulfilled, just asked a simple question....What does it matter...

14 minutes ago, transam said:

Nothing to do with me being fulfilled, just asked a simple question....What does it matter...

It obviously does.... matter..... to you..... otherwise you wouldn´t ask....

Glegolo

7 minutes ago, glegolo said:

It obviously does.... matter..... to you..... otherwise you wouldn´t ask....

Glegolo

You do seem to have a slight problem with people asking questions of other people we are all entitled to ones own opinion and we also have a right to question other peoples post, which is what i did in the first place not your post i hasten to add, you just jumped in with YOUR thoughts on the matter some of which were incorrect by tbe way. I for one would be interested to know the breakdown of ages for foriegners married to Thais.

Edited by jeab1980

17 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

You do seem to have a slight problem with people asking questions of other people we are all entitled to ones own opinion and we also have a right to question other peoples post, which is what i did in the first place not your post i hasten to add, you just jumped in with YOUR thoughts on the matter some of which were incorrect by tbe way. I for one would be interested to know the breakdown of ages for foriegners married to Thais.

No not a problem at all, I did just originally agreed with one post that is all... But I agree with you too, Why not have that breakdown.....???? Plse give that to us all to read...

But besides that, just look around here in Thailand, looking at people who lives here, and are married to a thai-lady.... I do again claim without any doubt, that almost all of them are over 50 years of age...

If you do not agree, what can the reason being for doubt it??? THAT would also be interetsting to know...

Glegolo

No not a problem at all, I did just originally agreed with one post that is all... But I agree with you too, Why not have that breakdown.....???? Plse give that to us all to read...

But besides that, just look around here in Thailand, looking at people who lives here, and are married to a thai-lady.... I do again claim without any doubt, that almost all of them are over 50 years of age...

If you do not agree, what can the reason being for doubt it??? THAT would also be interetsting to know...

Glegolo

So do you have a problem with guys over 50 being here with Thai ladies, because you seem to notice that stuff....?

9 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Glegolo

I have no figures which is why i asked you as you say vast majority is over 50. Looking around in Thailand proves very little if you think about it. Most married men over 50 here would i suspect but cant prove, would be retired therefore be able to go out walking around malls and food stores. Whereas people younger would in all likelihood  be still working therefore not seen daily ambling around. Therefore scewing your perception of majority and age. Remember you dont have to live here full time to be married and on an extension based on marriage therefore falling into the visit category. I know several who fall into that category. Work away but there permanent address is Thailand.  So sometimes what you see is not reality.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

I have no figures which is why i asked you as you say vast majority is over 50. Looking around in Thailand proves very little if you think about it. Most married men over 50 here would i suspect but cant prove, would be retired therefore be able to go out walking around malls and food stores. Whereas people younger would in all likelihood  be still working therefore not seen daily ambling around. Therefore scewing your perception of majority and age. Remember you dont have to live here full time to be married and on an extension based on marriage therefore falling into the visit category. I know several who fall into that category. Work away but there permanent address is Thailand.  So sometimes what you see is not reality.

True.....

Glegolo

42 minutes ago, transam said:

So do you have a problem with guys over 50 being here with Thai ladies, because you seem to notice that stuff....?

I am over 50 years of age my self, and cannot see why I should have any problem whatsoever with "it"..

Notice something doesn´t necessarily mean that you must have a problem with it.... Notice something can also be knowledge.,, try it.....

Glegolo