Pattaya beach umbrella and lounger operators furious at new regulations

snoop1130

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today, Wednesday the10th, there are deckchairs available all along Pattaya beach. However, every other "pitch" is missing. Clearly there has been developments to this story. Anybody know the full story? Snoop 1130?

On 5/3/2017 at 9:07 PM, liberty9133 said:

First of all, the operators all act as if they have the right to be there and it's their beach! It is the King's beach.  There are other alternatives and frankly I don't give a rip about their losing baht.

In most places in America, for example, operators are allowed to provide chairs and umbrellas AT THE REQUEST OF AN INDIVIDUAL.  This makes more sense than outright banning of umbrella and chair operators in a given area. I myself would have liked to have an individual spot where I could have an umbrella and a chair so that I could both sunbathe and, when I so choose, to be sheltered from the sun under the umbrella. I hope in the future that the beaches are returned to the people and the King. 

As for food, no table and chairs are necessary. The few people who will miss a meal will soon find other ways to satisfy their needs. Drinks could be still sold on the beach if there was a good way to guarantee clean up.  Food and scraps are tossed into the sea and no one is there to clean up. Nor are there sufficient waste cans for those few who do clean up after themselves.  The government would do well to advertise for cleanliness in all aspects of life. Some of the non used or undeveloped lots and many canals are full of debris also. 

You are not forced to sit in the chairs nor forced to eat the food. It's a service and a brilliant service at that. Please do not compare here or anywhere else with the USA with its myriad of problems including gun violence, gangs, extreme poverty, racism. I thought by now most Americans had realised the chimera of the American way of life.  I came to live in Pattaya because of the wide range of services at the beach. Its where I spend my money. This is just another attack on poor, hard working people by unelected bullies

On 10/05/2017 at 8:36 AM, The manic said:

How can sitting in the sun with no food or shade be progress?! It's madness.  

ah yes but it brings "happiness" to the thai people......ming boggling the ineptitude stupidity absurdity and everything inbetween.....meanwhile more and more ex pats relocate to other countries....fxxxwittery on a colassal scale

On 5/4/2017 at 0:48 PM, Gabor said:

Brain dead idiots... in high season no available chairs... better to install toilets and showers. No way to sit on the sand soaked by dog urine and melting on the sun...

Public toilets and showers :cheesy:.

That's not the "Thai" way.

And the authorities think that Pattaya is a high end tourist destination :shock1:.

Ever been to a full moon party? Thousands of people and few facilities means most do it in the sea.

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

This one today, near Walking Street entrance :

20170515_131219s.jpg

just look how empty the place dying a complete death and please no "low season" responses its been getting worse and worse as years go by......when the place is totally empty the thais will have succeeded

6 hours ago, Chivas said:

Just look how empty the place dying a complete death and please no "low season" //

I clearly said "near Walking Street entrance"! It's the South beginning of the beach, and this part is nearly always empty, even in high season. Only exception are special holidays like Loy Kratong.

Just go take a pic of the beach near Central Festival or North of Central Road and you will see that the beach is still very frequented! :cool:

6 hours ago, Chivas said:

just look how empty the place dying a complete death and please no "low season" responses its been getting worse and worse as years go by......when the place is totally empty the thais will have succeeded

Nice beach but nobody is using it or enjoying it or are spending money on it maybe mission accomplished?

13 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

I clearly said "near Walking Street entrance"! It's the South beginning of the beach, and this part is nearly always empty, even in high season. Only exception are special holidays like Loy Kratong.

Just go take a pic of the beach near Central Festival or North of Central Road and you will see that the beach is still very frequented! :cool:

Chivas has a good point.Not even dying, they already killed that spot.

I used to live right across the street, above the Mcdo in a small condo(hotel).

I used to spend almost all day right there.There would  be lots of people swimming, renting jetski, on-off load Kog Larn mafia boats on that very spot and this was only 9 years ago, not some 30 plus years ago.

22 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

This one today, near Walking Street entrance :

20170515_131219s.jpg

One can see straight away that the slope of the beach is sharper now and it finishes well below the top of the sea wall. At high tide the beach will be quite narrow.

I'd say the first photo was taken before the new promenade was made.

On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 5:11 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

When was that photo taken? 

35 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'd say the first photo was taken before the new promenade was made.

That first pic was from January last year, not years ago,

but taken a Wednesday, so a no-chairs day. :wink:

Friend of mine just sent photos albeit of soi 5 area on beach totally deserted these thais have just killed the golden goose with their stupidity simple as.

What was visible though vendors still had tables out

12 minutes ago, Notmyploblem said:

Get rid of them!! Ratty tatty worn out equipment on its last legs!

Bye bye thus is just the beginning. It always starts with a crackdown and wooooosh, a total ban around the corner emoji16.pngemoji16.png

There "were" thousands that enjoyed it daily just because you clearly dont why throw insults at vendors and beach goers.

You dont like them fine stay at your swimming pool daily same as i do alternate days

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

Friend of mine just sent photos albeit of soi 5 area on beach totally deserted  //

Don't you know that few people are going on the beach when it's raining? :cool:

Ask your friend to send you another pic by next sunny day :wink:

14 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Don't you know that few people are going on the beach when it's raining? :cool:

Ask your friend to send you another pic by next sunny day :wink:

lol day in day out sunshine throughout january 1st till february 6th and march 6th till april 6th when i was in pattaya and identical when the sun was blazing.....virtually deserted day after day soi 3,4,5,6 at the beach, I in 25 years plus never seen anything like it before

edited.........and that was high season place is dying simple as

Edited by Chivas

16 hours ago, Notmyploblem said:

Get rid of them!! Ratty tatty worn out equipment on its last legs!

Went to Pattaya a while back and was saddened by what I saw. I walked all along Jontiem beach through to Beach Road and north towards Bangkok. I could not see the sea for eyesores and decadence. What did I see you might ask!? I saw rubbish. rats, stray dogs, provocatively clad ladies, ladyboys. shirtless farang  and worst of all umbrellas.

Where I am there are special rubbish tips. Once it has built up to a certain level someone sets fire to it. Can't this be done in Pattaya? 

In the UK our family always went to Canvey Island for our W/E trips. When I go to the seaside I go for the clean sand and sparkling water. I will not be returning to Jontiem or Pattaya anytime soon. Disappointment is the only word to describe my feelings on this.

Went to Pattaya a while back and was saddened by what I saw. I walked all along Jontiem beach through to Beach Road and north towards Bangkok. I could not see the sea for eyesores and decadence. What did I see you might ask!? I saw rubbish. rats, stray dogs, provocatively clad ladies, ladyboys. shirtless farang  and worst of all umbrellas.

Where I am there are special rubbish tips. Once it has built up to a certain level someone sets fire to it. Can't this be done in Pattaya? 

In the UK our family always went to Canvey Island for our W/E trips. When I go to the seaside I go for the clean sand and sparkling water. I will not be returning to Jontiem or Pattaya anytime soon. Disappointment is the only word to describe my feelings on this.

You must of taken the sand with you and bought the sparkling water at Morrisons on the Island.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

18 hours ago, Chivas said:

lol day in day out sunshine throughout january 1st till february 6th and march 6th till april 6th when i was in pattaya and identical when the sun was blazing.....virtually deserted day after day soi 3,4,5,6 at the beach, I in 25 years plus never seen anything like it before

edited.........and that was high season place is dying simple as

I believe nowadays expats aren't retiring in pattaya the way they did in the 90s and 2000s for various economic and social reasons.and many of those who did, got old and  are gone.

Once a popular destination, it got overbuilt, overcrowded, congested, dirty, smelly, greedy, unfriendly, unsafe and dangerous during the past 7-8 years and especially with demographic changes, it's just not as attractive as it once was.

By the way, here I have to admit, many cities around the world are suffering from the same "chronic illness".

My gut feeling is, it's in a downward spiral and unfortunately will be getting worse.

Edited by pattayadude

3 hours ago, pattayadude said:

I believe nowadays expats aren't retiring in pattaya the way they did in the 90s and 2000s for various economic and social reasons.and many of those who did, got old and  are gone.

Once a popular destination, it got overbuilt, overcrowded, congested, dirty, smelly, greedy, unfriendly, unsafe and dangerous during the past 7-8 years and especially with demographic changes, it's just not as attractive as it once was.

By the way, here I have to admit, many cities around the world are suffering from the same "chronic illness".

My gut feeling is, it's in a downward spiral and unfortunately will be getting worse.

pretty much the overall picture i agree

9 hours ago, Kadilo said:

You must of taken the sand with you and bought the sparkling water at Morrisons on the Island.

Yes!! You know Canvey all right. We would go to Newlands fishery. If we only had a few hours we would go to Aquatels; sand there not bad but only fishing. For a week's holiday we would look no further than Southend-on-sea with trips out to Shoeburyness.

On topic: when I did my walk (in original post) the north of Pattaya, where the buildings are quite close to the water, absolutely stank. I reckon raw sewage was being pumped straight in. It might be better now 'cause that was 7 years ago.