Despite official denial, Bang Kwang Prison lands on world’s most dangerous prisons list

snoop1130

Despite official denial, Bang Kwang Prison lands on world’s most dangerous prisons list

By Coconuts Bangkok

1.JPG

Photo: The Richest

Bang Kwang Central Prison recently earned itself a prized position on a list of the 10 most dangerous prisons in the world.

Though the Corrections Department defended their facility, saying that the info used to compile the list by TheRichest website was not true, the infamous prison has certainly earned its notoriety, being featured in numerous movies and televisions series and specials and even earning the nickname “The Bangkok Hilton.”

The list was published Thursday — with Bang Kwang Central Prison in the 7th spot  — and Corrections Department Chief Kobkiat Kasiwat quickly denied the website’s allegations that the Nonthaburi prison is inhumane, shackles its prisoners, and is a breeding ground for disease. The site also said, “The prison has no running water, a barely functioning sewer system, and is severely overcrowded.”

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/despite-official-denial-bang-kwang-prison-lands-worlds-dangerous-prisons-list/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-5-5

The prison does not, despite their denials, meet international humanity standards. They do shackle prisoners for the first 3 months. It is filthy. It is overcrowded.

it is inhumane. It is a breeding ground for infection. It thoroughly deserves its reputation and its listing.

Behind the "face" thing and standard denials, Thais are probably only pissed off because it didn't get first spot.

2 hours ago, Thechook said:

It's a bloody prison not a holiday resort and people check in to be punished.  In Australia prisoners live in luxury in accommodation those on the outside can only dream of.

What does it feel like to be self righteous and convinced that no innocent people ever go to prison? They are deprived of liberty AS a punishment, not in order to be punished even more. No running water? Could be fixed in a week.

10 hours ago, Thechook said:

It's a bloody prison not a holiday resort and people check in to be punished.  In Australia prisoners live in luxury in accommodation those on the outside can only dream of.

No one is expecting a holiday resort with pool and drinks all day. Many people held at Bang Kwang prison are not there to be punished but awaiting trial.

Even though prison is supposed to be a punishment, you don't want it to be inhumane. And when you see how easy it is for a poor person to get a long sentence for the crime of picking mushrooms in the forrest in Thailand while those who kill policemen with their cars and don't spend a minute behind bars, you begin to question the concept of punishment in these parts.

4 hours ago, Gunnar Horpestad said:

This is Thailand, and Thailand have their law

Thailand is also signatory to several international conventions on Prisoner and human rights.

That is all they are though. Signatories. They do absolutely nothing to actually adhere to them.

They will deny all of their wrongdoings until they are blue in the face though, regardless of the evidence.

As a prison visitor I once received multiple requests for anti biotics as the prison had none. I took them to the jail where I was told I couldn't hand them in as the prison supplied this sort of thing. I highlighted that they didn't have them and that I wouldn't have received so many requests if they did.They knew I was correct, but denied it vehemently. Legally they were required to have necessary medicines, so they stuck with the official line. They don't care if prisoners, many of whom are awaiting trial, die.

The sickness and mortality rates in Thai prisons is horrendous. As are overall conditions.

The whole idea of prisons is to teach people to respect the law, but prisoners see the laws supposedly governing the prison itself broken with impunity, which brings about contempt for the system, the very opposite of the prisons purpose.

Thailands prisons are an absolute disgrace in this day and age, for a country that would like to be seen as moving towards the modern world.

Edited by darksidedog
Typo

8 hours ago, Thechook said:

hows male guards raping female inmates on your scale of "its a bloody prison" rate?

seems you can take the badge off the officer but you cant take the "I'm cop, I AM the law" out of him.

It's dog eat dog in any prison ....   the people are in there because they are convicted criminals ....  not on a holiday hotel booking.

Make it as tough as possible so they never forget and never want to return ....

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

It's dog eat dog in any prison ....   the people are in there because they are convicted criminals ....  not on a holiday hotel booking.

Make it as tough as possible so they never forget and never want to return ....

I'm sorry, but that is really an appalling and uninformed comment. Around half of all prisoners in Thai jails are on remand awaiting trial, so are NOT convicted criminals.

Many of these are facing trial on matters that do not have a potential custodial sentence, but all charges require bail money to be paid.

The majority that can afford to pay for a lawyer, will be found not guilty and released.

So are you telling me that in the 18 months or so that it takes for a trial to come to court, that you think it is perfectly acceptable to treat these people worse than animals?

Squashed in like sardines, rancid food, filth, depravity, substandard medical care, NO dental care, brutality and so much more is all OK?

And you don't have to worry about many of them reoffending as the mortality rate takes care of plenty of that.

2 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I'm sorry, but that is really an appalling and uninformed comment. Around half of all prisoners in Thai jails are on remand awaiting trial, so are NOT convicted criminals.

Many of these are facing trial on matters that do not have a potential custodial sentence, but all charges require bail money to be paid.

The majority that can afford to pay for a lawyer, will be found not guilty and released.

So are you telling me that in the 18 months or so that it takes for a trial to come to court, that you think it is perfectly acceptable to treat these people worse than animals?

Squashed in like sardines, rancid food, filth, depravity, substandard medical care, NO dental care, brutality and so much more is all OK?

And you don't have to worry about many of them reoffending as the mortality rate takes care of plenty of that.

If you are correct ... half are awaiting trial, not convicted then I tend to agree , they should be in a more amicable humane location or part of the prison ... different or separated from convicted criminals ... but without being too soft as the point I made was to have them hate the place and so scared they never want to get into trouble again and hence no return ...