And it's goodbye from Mobi…

Mobi

Best of luck Mobi. Fully agreed on your points about Thailand. Many of my friends are leaving and I hope I find myself a better place where I feel welcome and enjoy the culture very soon, too. Can't comment on wives, never had one [emoji2]. Take it easy and all the best. MS>

Just out of curiosity your friends are leaving for their home country or other places within SEA?

Thanks

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck Mobi. We first met anonymously through these pages where we quickly locked horns and opinions were formed. Ultimately my opinion was proven wrong after we met in person. Several years later, I had the good fortune to make several visits to your lake side bar and thoroughly enjoyed your company and your music. The staff was easy on the eye too!

I do not know where you are going to in the UK but best of luck , its not the same country i was born into ,i have just returned after having to spend two weeks there and it costs a fortune , (and i get free board and a car thrown in ,with no petrol to pay for) your always looking over your shoulder when your driving and my old home town ,English is the second or third language spoken , thats why the wife ,myself and our son left 10 years ago , and its got even worse .

anyway i hope i cheered you up a little and best of luck for the future :smile:

8 hours ago, bamukloy said:

====clip===

For me, I follow advices given long time ago and have no trouble after 10 years.

-Stay single is twice as much fun and half the cost in the long-run.

-Dont loose touch with home. A break away at least can clear your mind to see the idiot decisions being made.

Excellent advice that I have followed but with a couple of brief interludes of silliness. But I pulled myself out early as I could see where things were going with relationship$$$. I also stopped going to clubs and beer bars almost 5 years ago. I live a normal, one would almost say, quiet life with great like-minded friends. However, they are leaving one by one and there's almost no one left. Throw in the recent extreme expense of living in Bangkok and it's just not worth it anymore when I can be home and save money, or at least drink better beer for less than 200 baht. Not to mention the fact groceries are 50% cheaper (based on my recent comparison of 20 common items bought in Thailand and Canada). 

As for home, I'm there twice a year and the returns have been getting more and more enjoyable. It's looking like my quiet life would transfer back home very easily and more enjoyably. And there's free healthcare. 

I would become a short-time visitor to Thailand, especially in the winter months though. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

Many, many thanks for all the kind wishes.

I really do appreciate them and it is good to know that you are all out there rooting for me.

I also thank those who have been less than complimentary about my situation – I wouldn't have expected anything less.....:sleep:

It never ceases to amaze me how people feel free to jump to conclusions and assumptions without knowing any of the details or background. People have been condemned in these forums as thieves, rapists, and murderers without any chance to defend themselves - but was it ever thus? I guess these days it's what they call it fake news.

I can't possibly respond to all the comments made here, but I will say a few things which may help to clarify my decision to leave.

Firstly, on the subject of my six wives. 

The first was African and is the subject of my major novel entitled "Azzy". It is currently withdrawn from sale on Amazon but will be relaunched at a later date under the new title "Mobi's African Odyssey." This relates to the years I spent in West Africa during the late sixties/early seventies when I became caught up in a brutal civil war.

The rest of my wives are from Thailand. The first of these barely lasted a week as she was supposedly kidnapped and after paying a ransom for her return, I realised I had been duped. 

The next one was a gorgeously young lady form Patpong and I was hopelessly smitten – probably the love of my life. But she strayed from the marital bed many times, on one occasion even as far as Amsterdam - partly because it was in her nature, and partly because I was unable to keep her in the manner she was accustomed. So I moved on, but for many years we remained in touch and became good friends.

The next Thai wife stayed with me for 27 years, most of it back in the UK (where she still lives), and we raised two wonderful daughters who are both very successful in their lives and are a source of constant comfort, love and support.

I divorced her soon after I took early retirement, as by that time both my daughters had left home, and I had only tolerated a very difficult and abusive marriage for the sake of my girls.

Newly retired, and the world at my feet, I returned to Thailand to live a life of debauchery. In this, I succeeded, as well as getting married two more times.

My penultimate wife wasn't all bad and we are still in touch – she was just typically Thai – had an over-fondness for the booze,  was totally amoral, and loved to have a good time with her friends. We fought constantly and after 5 years I called it a day.

Wife number six is the one I should have met when I was 23 – the age when I married wife number1. We have been together for 7 years, married for three, and she is the most wonderful, caring, hardworking, generous, considerate woman you could ever hope to meet. All my family back home have met her and they love her to bits. Her family are also great, loving and caring. She is the woman I always dreamed of marrying but it took me a lifetime to find her.

As far as money is concerned, yes I did build a house in Bangkok for someone I didn't marry, but when it all went pear-shaped, I went to court and received the proceeds of the house sale. She got nothing, even though the house was in her name…

Then I built my Mobi-Mansion in Pattaya, and I lived there with wife number 5 for 5 years. After the divorce, the house was eventually sold, and I received half the sales proceeds.

I took a massive hit in the stock market crash in 2008, and for sure, the women also ate up a substantial sum of my hard earned money.

By the time I met wife No. 6, I was no longer ridiculously wealthy, but I still had more than enough to see me and my family through.

Then LM came along and swallowed up 95% of my remaining savings in 2013, and it has been pretty tough going ever since. I tried a number of ways to make a living, such as freelance writing and even running a bar for six months, but I guess I'm a bit too long in the tooth to make a real go of such ventures.

While not at death's door, my health is not what I would like it to be, the result of a dissolute lifestyle and the ageing process. I had a major heart operation 5 years ago to replace a heart valve, and my other ailments include hypertension, insulin-dependent diabetes, glaucoma and chronic IBS. 

I haven't touched a drop of alcohol in nearly 7 years, and this as much as anything has helped me to stay reasonably fit.

But the truth is I'm only one major operation away from total impoverishment, and the only sensible course of action is to return to the UK, where I can receive free health care, get an enhanced pension (frozen for six years) and all manner of other benefits that people of my age are entitled to.

(Note to trolls – I have probably paid more tax to the UK government than a vast majority of pensioners in the UK and have no qualms in getting back some of what I paid through the years as a very high earner.)

I have seen too many expats out here in their 70s and 80s who are so poor that they cannot afford to go to a hospital when they get sick. They refuse medical attention and have no money to return home - and even if they did there is nobody there to take care of them. Many just sit at home waiting to die. It is very sad to see.

I am NOT to going to be one of them. I will try to get some part-time work in the UK, and when my wife joins me in October she will be able to work straight away as there is plenty of work for those who want it. It will also be great for our daughter, for obvious reasons.

I have no real qualms about going home. I did it in 1983 when everyone told me I wouldn't last 6 months.  Since I have been back in Thailand, I have made regular trips back to the UK to visit with my two daughters and brother and I know what I am getting into. I am quite sure I will be absolutely fine. Having a network of loving family around you is critical.

So there it is – just a few snippets of what Mobi has been about during some of his long and event-filled life. 
There is so much more… but why not take a look at my writing? A good place to start would be "A Lust for Life", which is largely autobiographical. This book is still available on Amazon.

So once again farewell, and as requested, I will try to stay in touch and let you know how things turn out. There's got to be at least one more novel in it...

13 hours ago, swissie said:

Well, I did venture out of Tourist Areas for 5 years. I even learned to speak basic Thai. I was rewarded with understanding the local gossip. Beyound that, was never capable of involving the "country folks" in a discussion surpassing local gossip. After 5 years of this, I realized "this can't be it".

Respects to Farangs that can tone down their intellect to this level for any extended period of time. Of course, in order to tone down something, you have to have it in the first place.
Cheers.

PS: Can understand why  you stopped your former daily news contributions, concerning "Central Thailand News".:smile: 

There are other places that life is normal here in Thailand.

If you had read some of my post in central Thailand you will know where I live Kamphaeng Phet.

A so called university city. Life goes on Thai style, you do need to speak some Thai and have a sense of humour though.

One doesn't have to tone down anything. That's provided you have the right? partner & monies of cause.

Everyday is one big laugh, If you can do that you'll be fine.

N/B I did try Pattaya many years ago for quite some years. It drove me out in the end. 

Moved here well away from the wife family 400km. Yes I did buy a large house in wife name but it only cost peanuts some 14 grand UK. Monies now back lack of paying rent.

Service here is fantastic. EG I telexed some monies from UK yesterday afternoon. Just had a call in English from my K.P.P Kasikorn bank 12pm, to let me know it had arrived. Not bad for living in a place that has no service. From the afore mentioned Thicko's.

Please note that no bugger will like it here so please don't come. Last thing I would want is to have Falangs descending on the place spoiling my fun and enjoyment. Not forgetting putting the prices up.

H/M K.P.P.

Edited by Rimmer
Racist slur also moderation

I wish the OP, who's writings I am not acquainted with, all the best on his new adventure.

However I can't help thinking, that most complaints about the nature of life in Thailand, the Thai attitude towards Farangs, come from people that live in Pattaya and Bangkok, Phuket and Hua Hin.

Obviously horrible things can also happen to us that live out in the sticks, but one of the best things about life here is not having to talk to pot bellied ex-pats moaning about Thailand.  At 70 I am still building, breeding cattle and poultry, looking after the garden and of course my lovely wife and kids. I get to talk English about once a week apart from when teaching the kids.

Living in a big city is evil news to the soul, there is so much freedom to develop and expand, more or less as you wish, in a place like Isaan. Six wives? Maybe an indication concerning the OP's choice of life style?

For myself, I can never afford to take my family back to the UK, so maybe sour grapes.

Good luck!

The very best of wishes to you mobi in your life back in the uk i enjoyed reading a lot of your posts and blogs you have had a great adventure in your life with all the highs and lows. I think you will make more highs in your next adventue in your life in the UK with your loving family. 

regards

Scotsman

Of course, Life away from the so-called tourist areas is totally different. and many Thais are very different and treat us farangs quite differently. 

Although I have never lived up-country, I have travelled extensively throughout Thailand, from the North, to Northeast, Central, Southeast and southern Thailand. Just about everywhere, really over the years. In all my travels I have found Thais to be friendly, welcoming and helpful - especially when they realise I can speak passable Thai, which is a huge bonus.

My beef is not with the Thais, who by and large as much as they were 45 years ago. It's with the establishment, who still runs an abysmal education system, in which 50% of students in rural schools are illiterate (that's most of them), where English is taught by teachers who can't speak English, where Thai history is distorted to make Thailand appear the greatest country on Earth, and squashes all attempts by students to think outside the box and ask questions. I could go on, as you well know...

This, along with blaming everything that goes wrong on foreigners and a justice system that only works for the rich elite gives rise to a situation where farangs are becoming targets for anyone who cares to take a pot shot at them. 

You are quite right about Pattaya and other tourist areas - it does not represent the true Thailand. Even though I live some 20 kms from Central Pattaya, I still feel the influence of sin city, although most Thais out here are really nice.

If I ever pay a visit to Thailand in the future, I will definitely stay well away from tourist areas.

Edited by Mobi

12 hours ago, swissie said:

Well, I did venture out of Tourist Areas for 5 years. I even learned to speak basic Thai. I was rewarded with understanding the local gossip. Beyound that, was never capable of involving the "country folks" in a discussion surpassing local gossip. After 5 years of this, I realized "this can't be it".

Respects to Farangs that can tone down their intellect to this level for any extended period of time. Of course, in order to tone down something, you have to have it in the first place.
Cheers.

PS: Can understand why  you stopped your former daily news contributions, concerning "Central Thailand News".:smile: 

I have been there and suffered that.

If you are educated, converse widely across all subjects, are well read, have an interest in the outside world and can understand the macro world economic, then you are unlikely to find much conversation with the Thai people whose plateau of interest (or is that ability ?) is limited to the price of pork at the local market and whether Mrs Jones at No. 13 is shagging Mr Smith at No. 27.

Hi Mobi

I`ll merely wish you Good Luck

Have read a fair few of your blog posts, entertaining.You are a skilled writer.

My favourites happened to be your experiences with working within the insurance industry, non life sector if I recall correctly.

I modestly invest there from time to time.

Take Care, hope all goes well and hope you carry on posting.

Good luck Mobi on your next adventure. I hope it all works out well for you and your family.

It's always interesting to me as to how two 71 year olds can have such different experiences over the past 7- 10 years. I too am 71 and have lived on Phuket for the past seven years so there are some parallels.

However I have never married even once and have no desire or intention to do so. Although I have been in a great relationship with a wonderful Thai lady she has no interest in getting married as well. Also I have never had an unpleasant experience with any Thai people over that period of seven years. I have had to manage on a somewhat modest but adequate income and have never been ripped off, excluding the few times I may not have negotiated as well as I should have at the market. 

The one thing that my years in business taught me is to be preprogramed to say NO whenever any one asks me for money. I can always change my mind later but I always lead with a polite but firm "no". Works for me.

Notwithstanding, I'm not putting any criticism on you, just stating my experiences. Everyone has to follow their own path their own way. Again, best wishes and may the next chapter be a happy and fullfilling one. 

Heagame.

19 hours ago, Mobi said:

I was an early retired millionaire, with the world at my feet.

15 years, two more wives, and the great Australian pyramid style swindle known as LM has left me, at the age of 71, once again close to the bread line

so when you went back you became a millionaire ?  wow ...how, 

but then LM ?  was the curse ...  thanks and good luck.

Mobi, I am afraid I have not followed TV for that long and therefore haven't come across your blogs and articles. However, your story seems to be very interesting indeed and I have therefore turned to Amazon to look for your book "A Lust for Life". Fortunately or unfortunately, there are quite a number of books by that name at Amazon, written by authors whose names are unknown to me. Can you tell us which "Lust for life" and written by whom (author's - your name, or..) you mean. Many thanks and 

Best of Luck in the next stage of your life, which undoubtedly will be as interesting as the previous ones...

Farewell then Mobi !

We never met, though we nearly did during your drinking period over a decade ago now. More's the pity.

I thought your writing open for all to take something from it, whether to get the "don't drink and drive" message, which took you far too long to take yourself, through the endless optimism in searching for a new love and some final happiness. You laid yourself prostrate and fairly (mostly fairly anyway !) took the incoming in good humour.

I worried for your financial health long ago but only the other month did I read a little of a downward turn there. I am sorry to see you were conned but 95% in one basket is a lesson to be learned as we surely take something else from your writing.

I hope you find what you are looking for in the UK. If it is of any consolation, it is not too bad, if you can avoid the immigrant infested streets of inner cities and feel the warmth of the sun on your back and the smell of the countryside in your nostrils. A quiet morning today in the Surrey Hills is far from the worst place to call home.

I also note your derision at the future fate of the westerner in Thailand and I largely concur. I only go back to the 1980s but it isn't like it was, not in a million years. Though pockets of warmth remain, the westerner is to be used, consumed, abused and discarded once deflated.

If I could be of some help in the transition to the UK then ask away.

thanks for the post. most westerners who have to return home due to financial reasons are too proud to share their story. i have seen thailand go down hill over the last 10 years while living there but it is still a great place to live. i will be back when my kids finish getting my kids through school as long as things dont  get too bad.

26 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

Fortunately or unfortunately, there are quite a number of books by that name at Amazon, written by authors whose names are unknown to me. Can you tell us which "Lust for life" and written by whom (author's - your name, or..) you mean.

Have a look at Mobi's profile - here.

Capture127.JPG

58 minutes ago, Headgame said:

Good luck Mobi on your next adventure. I hope it all works out well for you and your family.

It's always interesting to me as to how two 71 year olds can have such different experiences over the past 7- 10 years. I too am 71 and have lived on Phuket for the past seven years so there are some parallels.

However I have never married even once and have no desire or intention to do so. Although I have been in a great relationship with a wonderful Thai lady she has no interest in getting married as well. Also I have never had an unpleasant experience with any Thai people over that period of seven years. I have had to manage on a somewhat modest but adequate income and have never been ripped off, excluding the few times I may not have negotiated as well as I should have at the market. 

The one thing that my years in business taught me is to be preprogramed to say NO whenever any one asks me for money. I can always change my mind later but I always lead with a polite but firm "no". Works for me.

Notwithstanding, I'm not putting any criticism on you, just stating my experiences. Everyone has to follow their own path their own way. Again, best wishes and may the next chapter be a happy and fullfilling one. 

Heagame.

OMG. Let's get back to regular programming ASAP.

2 hours ago, SGD said:

If you are educated, converse widely across all subjects, are well read, have an interest in the outside world and can understand the macro world economic, then you are unlikely to find much conversation with the Thai people whose plateau of interest (or is that ability ?) is limited to the price of pork at the local market and whether Mrs Jones at No. 13 is shagging Mr Smith at No. 27.

But then they, and you, are unlikely to be bored by hot air on the subject of the macro world economic. And really I found the same thing living in suburbia in the States. Conversation is about the lawn, the cars, the houses, the furniture, the kids, and the goings-on of the members of the Harper Valley PTA. Get with a bunch of uni people and you find that you each know a lot about mutually uninteresting specialties and the rest is mostly hot air and it all reverts to the lawn, the furniture, etc. Yeah, they took tours in the outside world, took pics, but no real knowledge or interest in other countries or cultures. And at the end of the day you're too tired for any scintillating conversation. You talk w/ your friends about what you have in common and try to avoid arguing about all that you don't have in common.

Good thing there's the internet, eh. Hey--TVF: we got a ton of economists (and other experts) here, including a highly distinguished macroeconomist. (Don't however try to discuss the Austrian School, or Friedrich Hayek, or the prescience of Edmund Burke's opposition to taxing the American colonies.)

Truth is, though--critical point--that if you care about the person, then her talk about the price of pork is still interesting. At least it's real. Suddenly I'm thinking of some ladies I'd love to hear talk about just anything, long as we kept it short. ;)

Meanwhile we'll have plenty of members here who will extol the advantages of rural life in Thailand. I can see those, really; I like it up in the villages, met some characters, planted rice (then I saw why they want to escape), and have some affecting stories from my experiences. But I'm not yet tired of Pattaya. Hmmm--it ain't raining yet. Let's hit Soi 6.

Edited by JSixpack

...one thing I have learned is there is no 'going back' to anywhere.. there is only one direction on this journey.. too many things change where we came from.. and we change as well..  but good luck on your new adventure..  You are obviously a good writer... new material will be coming your way.. please keep us informed.  Can you tell us what books you have written? I am a keen reader of books written about Thailand and SE Asia in general...

20 hours ago, saakura said:

Quite true. The natives are no longer in complete awe of the almighty white skinned farang. Globalisation, internet, cheap air travel has levelled it a lot. 

The natives, he says.......

The almighty white farang, he says.......

Never in my life was I confronted so little with discrimination during the twelve+ years I lived here.

I am a guest here, I behave myself like a guest, I don't feel discriminated against and never had any aggression vented on me.

Quite different from my own country.

15 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

never met Mobi but guy sounds like a legend.

several years i had the honour of having Mobi as guest in my home. he was accompanied by an extremely good looking very young lady. but when i jokingly referred to him being a cradle snatcher he corrected me by stating the actual age of his wife (#unknown) :smile:

but whatever, Mobi is the chap you would want as your neighbour!

@Mobi: don't forget regular maintenance of your implanted valve, especially oil change of the rear axle differential! godspeed!