UK Drugs Baron arrested by Thai cops on Samui

webfact

UK Drugs Baron arrested by Thai cops on Samui

1pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

SAMUI: -- A high profile drugs fugitive who fled the UK after being jailed for 15 years has been arrested by a successful police operation in Thailand.

Jonathon Moorby is a Teessider who had been suspected of hiding out in Thailand for some time. He was flushed out on Monday after a representative went to pick up his son at Suvarnabhumi airport at the weekend, reported Thai Rath.

Moorby was behind a major drugs conspiracy to flood Teesside with high grade cocaine and described in the UK press as a "drugs baron" for his involvement in the trade.

He once sent his terrified estranged wife a text message saying "tick, tock, tick, tock" as he prepared to set fire to her home.

Thai drugs police in Surat Thani became aware after representations from their UK counterparts that Moorby was due to pick up his son at the airport on Saturday at noon.

But instead of going himself he sent someone else who was secretly followed with the son back to Samui and thence to a hotel.

Several other relatives of Moorby arrived which ultimately led to the arrest of the suspect who had been hiding out on Koh Matsum that lies off the southern coast of Samui.

He is now in custody with Bo Phut police on Samui.

The Thai operation was carried out by drugs suppression police, local immigration and police and soldiers.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-09

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like he's been here for a while, and various authorities knew he was here.

He was using a lost/stolen passport of one Goossens Wouters from Begium.

Pol Maj Gen Apichart said the Belgian passport belonging to Mr Wouters had been reported lost in Thailand. Mr Moorby allegedly told police that he bought the passport from an underground network in the South for one million baht.

Edited by mtls2005

Lets hope he stays in custody until he can be deported,

or better yet,put him in a Thai prison for a couple of years,

while they sort out the paperwork,that will do him good.

regards worgeordie

58 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Normally i am the first person to condemn the RTP.

For once i am praising them, well done.

No people i am not having a meltdown, just giving credit where it is due.

Sorry Colin, but the information came from the UK police who have obviously been keeping tabs on the family, so RTP didn't find him per se.

Fair play to them though for following the son back to Samui for the arrest.

I expect he will serve some time for the stolen passport and then he can look forward to a longer sentence back home.

1 minute ago, darksidedog said:

Sorry Colin, but the information came from the UK police who have obviously been keeping tabs on the family, so RTP didn't find him per se.

I expect he will serve some time for the stolen passport and then he can look forward to a longer sentence back home.

Yes i understand that the UK police passed on info, but at least the Thai police got up off their backsides for once, and followed it up.

1 hour ago, PoorSucker said:

There's nobody living on Koh Mudsum, think they mixed it up with Koh Taen that has a dozen of bungalows for rent.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Have a look on to Ko Mutsum in Google Earth. Not only the swimming pool looks well maintained ...

Ko Mudsum.jpg

Edited by rebo

I can see why this thug took a one way ticket to Thailand in 2014. He continued to run his drug trafficking business from Thailand and made a nice living at it.  How he did it for 3 years undisturbed, speaks volumes.

However, more disturbing and disgusting are his family members who came for a visit. They were obviously enjoying the proceeds of his drug trafficking trade. As much as we would like pee all over the Thais for allowing this scum to  hide out, it's not as if the UK did much to stop him or  disrupt his  trafficking. The three people who were caught sending him money and money laundering his profits,  were not sent to jail. The one fellow who eventually was  condemned, was only sent  down because he was driving while banned after he had been spared prison time on the  money transfers conviction.

Way to go stupid, you're lying low and you invite your family out for a holiday .....

The UK police probably had his emails intercepted as well and were looking for the right time to set this up with Thai police.

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

have to wonder if the police were offered a reward to do this job. normally they just issue an arrest warrant and wait for the crim to hand themselves in.

The "tic toc tic toc" note to his wife shows what a low grade thug this guy is, otherwise I've no trouble with drug dealers who keep it away from kids ... man is free to choose whether or not to partake (or should be).

5 hours ago, webfact said:

SAMUI: -- A high profile drugs fugitive who fled the UK after being jailed for 15 years has been arrested by a successful police operation in Thailand.

Sounds like some brown envelopes were handed out in UK to enable yet another nasty bit of work to "flee" ... or is it just endemic incompetence on the part of British police and immigrations.

Reminds one of the recent ongoing saga of a "high profile" personage or two in Thailand that brought out all the TV armchair experts' accusations against & condemnations of the local authorities. 

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Normally i am the first person to condemn the RTP.

For once i am praising them, well done.

No people i am not having a meltdown, just giving credit where it is due.

Don't get too excited;  it just means he didn't bribe the right people.  

Edited by wealthychef
semantic correction

5 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

There's nobody living on Koh Mudsum, think they mixed it up with Koh Taen that has a dozen of bungalows for rent.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The only aerial picture I found from Koh Mudsum shows PoorSucker is right (as usual:smile:) not a single house on this

tiny island. 

seawalking.jpg.f3ab43cedf63b2418eb2d082da283946.jpg 

Some people need to go to Specsavers.....

Look at Google earth. The island has many bungalows as well as a hotel.

Edited by Flustered

5 hours ago, Jim walker said:

low life scum keep him in prison in thailand for 10 years first before sending him to his 5 starr english open prison he is in thailand on a stolen passport worth 10 years 

Yes Jim, that may make them think twice about coming to Thailand. 

17 minutes ago, Flustered said:

Some people need to go to Specsavers.....

Look at Google earth. The island has many bungalows as well as a hotel.

Yes, I can see that, totally encroachment.

Wasn't there last time I was there.

4 hours ago, lazygourmet said:

The most stupid thing to do when you are on the run is to hide on a tiny island.

Just Methinks!

Yup - that's how we got Harry Roberts back in the day; parked off in a wood. Not the best of hideouts when you want to maintain anonymity (although to be fair, it took a while to find him..)