Honda Scoopy, Oil service intervals

CLW

GFs Scoopy recently had some problems with the Engine due to too less oil. However, she went to a shop nearby her house and they changed some parts. Well, sh... happens.

Now my question, the same shop now recommends her to change the engine and gearbox oil every month for 160Baht???

I don't think that is really necessary.

Maybe check and eventually refill.

She drives 70km daily (week days)

For the price of oil or an oil change over here if you can't change oil yourself, i'd recommend ignoring the manufacturer's specs and change the oil twice as often. The above posts of changing at 4 and especially 5k is too high IMO.

I change all the family's mopeds/scooters at 2k, never more than 2.5k. Wave's run 0.7 litres, @ 80 baht per bottle it aint gonna ruin your bank account. 0.7 litres running around an engine, clutch AND gearbox for 4-5k miles is too long. Especially in a SE Asian climate.

Re, the OP, 70 x 5 = 350 x 4 = 1400 kms pm. I'd change the engine oil every 7 weeks.

Up to you...

15 hours ago, papa al said:

Gear box oil needn't be changed as

it doesn't get hot and break down.

All oil breaks down. Ever watch a transmission or differential temp Gauge ?  Over 200C is common operating temp.

21 hours ago, canthai55 said:

All oil breaks down. Ever watch a transmission or differential temp Gauge ?  Over 200C is common operating temp.

You are correct.

Entropy.

Change gear oil in a Scoopy @ 50Kkm interval be fine.

[change at first engine oil change when new, and if submerged in flood conditions.]

No, papa has never watched a temp gauge in a Scoopy tranny.

Have you?

Not really very hot to-the-touch on my scooter.

Maybe 50ºC

Expect gear oil in the Nouvo to outlast papa.

23 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

For the price of oil or an oil change over here if you can't change oil yourself, i'd recommend ignoring the manufacturer's specs and change the oil twice as often. The above posts of changing at 4 and especially 5k is too high IMO.

I change all the family's mopeds/scooters at 2k, never more than 2.5k. Wave's run 0.7 litres, @ 80 baht per bottle it aint gonna ruin your bank account. 0.7 litres running around an engine, clutch AND gearbox for 4-5k miles is too long. Especially in a SE Asian climate.

Re, the OP, 70 x 5 = 350 x 4 = 1400 kms pm. I'd change the engine oil every 7 weeks.

Up to you...

Honda engineers say 4000

but on air-cooled, [no-filter]

and if ridden hard,

and if planning long relationship

2500 is easy to rationalise,

why not.

Your arithmetic is impeccable;

papa added 50/wk for miscellaneous riding on weekends.

I would conclude that 4,000km is a reasonable interval.

Better check oil level and refill in between the intervals because I think that ruined the engine.

However, not related, an automobile engineer once told me that new car engines running on fully synthetic oil can run without any oil changes

11 hours ago, papa al said:

Wow.

I know in 'merca many large 18-wheel rigs

never change syntho,

rather replace large oil filters.

Oil does not break down. The additive package breaks down, and the oil gets contaminated. That is why it needs to be changed. Oil filters will not remove this contamination, or replace the additives lost during the service life of the oil.

1 hour ago, papa al said:

Well I guess all those big trucking firms

and the companies like Amzoil

who developed these systems

should be made aware of this pronto.

Take the time to research before posting and save your self from the famous foot-in-mouth disease:

No matter how well motor oil is formulated, it won’t last forever. As the miles accumulate, motor oil begins to degrade and lose its lubricating effectiveness, while the additives are depleted. Severe-service driving conditions accelerate this process. Even with little mileage on the oil, oxidation, gases and moisture take their toll and start the degradation process, making it necessary to set both a mileage and time limit with oil change intervals. Excessive idling, common with fleet vehicles, puts additional stress on the oil, making it necessary to set an hours limit for vehicles subjected to excessive idling. Motor oil and vehicle manufacturers have developed general recommendations for the maximum amount of time or miles that the oil can be used; typically these intervals fall between 3,000 and 7,500 miles, depending on the type of service.

Many AMSOIL synthetic motor oils are specially formulated for extended drain intervals, providing maximum protection longer than other oils. Check the product data sheet for specific recommendations

http://www.amsoil.com/frequent.aspx

• 3 weeks later...