Psychological torture of condo living Jomtien

aussienam

22 hours ago, jubkhun said:

How? Foreigners can't own land in Thailand. They can buy it of course, and put it in a Thai name..which is not the same as actually owning it.

rent it, long term lease. Buy the large wooden houses that don't cost too much to put up and you can move a lot of them around at a fairly low cost. Many people seem to live in these boxes in cities and pay a fortune and want peace and quiet. Is that what people expect when they move to Pattaya? Peace and quiet? I remember seeing a post on here by a few people that were doing similar organising long term leasing of land which had elec and water hook ups and they put up a small prefab that they could collapse and move away if they had any issues. 

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yes correct i always wonder why that developer does not make a significant price reduction for his unsold units seems he is asking aprox 10 million bht for 100 sqm unit bare shell somewhat with a wrong layout but excellent sea views.Not a single one of those units have been sold for over 9 years now the developer does not seems bothered with that?

Yes, I've wondered the exact same thing. My partner and I looked at one of these units several years ago and didn't like the layout at all-- too few windows for so much space--and one of the windows so high up that you can't see out of it.  In America the developer would have a close-out sale with drastic price reductions and move on to the next project.

After reading your story I can only say.........move out!!

Just a small issue arises: Where to move to?

Especially in Jomtien you won't be able to find a condo that offers the peace and tranquility as desired; construction, pool-sounds, slamming doors, traffic noise...there's always something!!

I was at a newly opened condominium complex yesterday and in the center there's a huge pool with 2 sliding-areas.......the pool was packed with kids and I wasn't envying the people who "enjoyed" the pool view. 

8 minutes ago, joepattaya1961 said:

After reading your story I can only say.........move out!!

Just a small issue arises: Where to move to?

Especially in Jomtien you won't be able to find a condo that offers the peace and tranquility as desired; construction, pool-sounds, slamming doors, traffic noise...there's always something!!

I was at a newly opened condominium complex yesterday and in the center there's a huge pool with 2 sliding-areas.......the pool was packed with kids and I wasn't envying the people who "enjoyed" the pool view. 

It was relatively quiet when I lived at VT3--no traffic noise, bars, etc.   VT7 looking north was also pretty quiet.  Didn't have any problems with noise at VT5C either.  Lumpini Park Beach at the south end of Jomtien is big but not busy--lots of absentee owners.  It was quiet most of the time when I lived there.  If you look around I think you can find some fairly quiet locations.  You're in an urban area so it's not going to be totally quiet but noise wasn't a problem for me at the projects I mentioned. 

23 minutes ago, newnative said:

Yes, I've wondered the exact same thing. My partner and I looked at one of these units several years ago and didn't like the layout at all-- too few windows for so much space--and one of the windows so high up that you can't see out of it.  In America the developer would have a close-out sale with drastic price reductions and move on to the next project.

Maybe it has become a not loose face project?Developer not wants to lower the prices instead he will keep his units unsold for 30 years and than sells them for the price he was happy with 30 years back.

1 minute ago, Destiny1990 said:

Maybe it has become a not loose face project?Developer not wants to lower the prices instead he will keep his units unsold for 30 years and than sells them for the price he was happy with 30 years back.

Could be.  Or the developer could keep raising the prices even though no one is buying them at the lower price--I've seen that done. 

38 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Like was said earlier these places are build with near slave Khmer & Burmese labour. Once the developer has enough sales to cover the land, materials and cheap labour costs it's all gravy. No property taxes yet and they likely don't pay the maintenance fees. I have seen from the road floors of shells ( no a/c. ) at View Talay 5. That building has been around for awhile now. I tried looking for a web site selling them but came up m/t. Anyone know what each unit goes for?

As for the OP's topic, I would guess there are less than 20% of the projects in Pattaya or Jomtien that have these family thymes to them. So why would he pick one of these as his place for retirement tranquility? It's a head scratcher. In future he should come on TV to ask for views about any major decisions he has upcoming. Coming 3 years after is a bit late. Life is short buddy. Sell for what you can get and move on with things. Why keep going through the "torture"?

51 minutes ago, pegman said:

Like was said earlier these places are build with near slave Khmer & Burmese labour. Once the developer has enough sales to cover the land, materials and cheap labour costs it's all gravy. No property taxes yet and they likely don't pay the maintenance fees. I have seen from the road floors of shells ( no a/c. ) at View Talay 5. That building has been around for awhile now. I tried looking for a web site selling them but came up m/t. Anyone know what each unit goes for?

As for the OP's topic, I would guess there are less than 20% of the projects in Pattaya or Jomtien that have these family thymes to them. So why would he pick one of these as his place for retirement tranquility? It's a head scratcher. In future he should come on TV to ask for views about any major decisions he has upcoming. Coming 3 years after is a bit late. Life is short buddy. Sell for what you can get and move on with things. Why keep going through the "torture"?

I do not think there are any bare shell units  left in View Talay 5.However u can always ask it at juristic office of View Talay 5.

21 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps you should have bought some big speakers and put them on full base, pointed them downwards and turned them on everytime they played the piano. You couldn't be penalised as they ignored the rules when you complained. By pointing the speakers down, it wouldn't disturb neighbours next door or above.

I did all that. Lowered the speakers down from my balcony to his level, even recorded his not so good playing and played it back at high volume and some Winifred Atwell too. I also played a lot of Carabao thai music. Nothing stopped him. I even gave his car some flat tyres and coined it. When I spotted his wife parked at the local shops in a disability parking space I found the rangers and informed them on more than one occasion.

17 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Not by renters by Thai government, the condos are on Thai owned land.

17 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Not by renters by Thai government, the condos are on Thai owned land.

Yes, all condos are on land owned by Thais, but if a farang is comfortable with that I wish him very well. Personally I'm not comfortable with that, which is why I rent on very short-term contracts, no big financial commitment, no maintenance issues, no resale issues (nobody wants to buy your condos so it's a non-appreciating asset).

Just think, you can rent very decent rooms in Pattaya for 10,000 baht per month. I guess that if you actually moved to Thailand with all your furniture and many possessions it's not that easy to keep moving. My advice..sell the 3-piece suite and the bed.

I did all that. Lowered the speakers down from my balcony to his level, even recorded his not so good playing and played it back at high volume and some Winifred Atwell too. I also played a lot of Carabao thai music. Nothing stopped him. I even gave his car some flat tyres and coined it. When I spotted his wife parked at the local shops in a disability parking space I found the rangers and informed them on more than one occasion.

LOL. Sound wars! I found a Youtube clip once of repetitive door slamming that I put in my bathroom after diplomatic solutions failed for one particularly nasty neighbour.

Sent from my SM-G9287 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

I do not think there are any bare shell units  left in View Talay 5.However u can always ask it at juristic office of View Talay 5.

I think there might be some low floor shells still available at 5C and possibly even some high floor shells at the back of 5D.  I think foreign quota is gone at both.  When we bought around 4 or 5 years ago the studio 48sqm shells were around 2.1 or 2.2MB in foreign name.  Not sure what they are going for now.  Sales office is right across the street.

1 hour ago, jubkhun said:

Yes, all condos are on land owned by Thais, but if a farang is comfortable with that I wish him very well.

No. It amazes me how our renters will resort to lying to win points against condo ownership--and they know they're lying. Why the desperation?

In response to that lie earlier, KittenKong already gave jubkhun the truth of the matter.

On 5/8/2017 at 10:47 PM, KittenKong said:

On 5/8/2017 at 10:12 PM, jubkhun said:

Firstly you can never have a share in the land the condo is built on

A farang who owns a freehold condo does indeed own a share of the land on which the condo is built (assuming that the building owns the land and doesnt lease it).

On 5/8/2017 at 10:12 PM, jubkhun said:

secondly the majority of units must be in Thai name or Thai Company name.

This is true, but a farang can still own his own unit and his own proportion of the common areas and land.

Seems trolling to me.

Edited by JSixpack

5 hours ago, jubkhun said:

Yes, all condos are on land owned by Thais, but if a farang is comfortable with that I wish him very well. Personally I'm not comfortable with that, which is why I rent on very short-term contracts, no big financial commitment, no maintenance issues, no resale issues (nobody wants to buy your condos so it's a non-appreciating asset).

Just think, you can rent very decent rooms in Pattaya for 10,000 baht per month. I guess that if you actually moved to Thailand with all your furniture and many possessions it's not that easy to keep moving. My advice..sell the 3-piece suite and the bed.

Yeah OP bought the condo and maybe happy about that at at the time as many others still happy living in & buying condos.

I just don't understand it when condo owners say l don't own my house.

54 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah OP bought the condo and maybe happy about that at at the time as many others still happy living in & buying condos.

I just don't understand it when condo owners say l don't own my house.

No condo owner has ever said that you don't own your house--if you own it. More lying . . . .

On 2017-5-14 at 3:52 PM, Gary A said:

What came first? The chicken or the egg? Should I buy or should I rent? Should I marry a Thai or stay single? Should I retire in Thailand or stay in my own country? Should I have children or not? Should I live in the city or in the boonies? I could go on but you get the gist of the questions. There are no clear yes or no answers and no one size fits all. Do your due diligence and make a careful logical decision. The decisions I made for myself may be disastrous for others. Spur of the moment decisions are often wrong.

Here are the answers from the Norwegian qualified jury:

Question 1: Rent. Buy in your home country (much much safer investment)

Question 2: Stay single. You will have more pussy in Thailand then your friends back home will have in a thousand years (and with a lot more attractive and younger girls).

Question 3: Retire in Thailand but make sure the authorities back home still think your main place of residence is back home. That way you will always be entitled to all the benefits of your welfare state.

Question 4: Only have children in Thailand if you are wealthy enough to pay for an international school and also enough money to send them to University in your home country or somewhere else in the West. Education in Thailand is worthless. 

Question 5: Live in the city. Living in the countryside means being surrounded by poor Thais which undoubtedly will put a strain on your wallet (there are a lot of mouths to feed) and the risk of numerous possibly serious complications.

Cheers

Martin

3 hours ago, MartinBangkok said:

Question 3: Retire in Thailand but make sure the authorities back home still think your main place of residence is back home. That way you will always be entitled to all the benefits of your welfare state.

If you are lucky enough to have one. :(

11 hours ago, newnative said:

I think there might be some low floor shells still available at 5C and possibly even some high floor shells at the back of 5D.  I think foreign quota is gone at both.  When we bought around 4 or 5 years ago the studio 48sqm shells were around 2.1 or 2.2MB in foreign name.  Not sure what they are going for now.  Sales office is right across the street.

I found a double unit for  ฿4.5m. The building closest to the road, I think 5D, has a few floors of shells starting about 7 floors up in the sorth-east corner. Bad views from there. 

18 hours ago, newnative said:

Yea New. My room is for sale right now. 9th Floor facing Pattaya. Really nice inside. 2.5m THB. So if it cost you Less than $10,000 for finish your condo you are probably at even money if you sell. Not bad during the "Collaspe" of condo values. lol!

25 minutes ago, newnative said:

So, no list.  Apparently no 5 year old condo dumps are being bulldozed.  Whew!

Ha Ha! When I came in this time 4 weeks ago I noticed there was two lights out in my hallway outside my room. I thought maybe it(VT5C) was starting to slide on maintenance. Two days later the lights were replaced as usual. lol! No bulldozers today.

1 hour ago, GaryB1263 said:

Yea New. My room is for sale right now. 9th Floor facing Pattaya. Really nice inside. 2.5m THB. So if it cost you Less than $10,000 for finish your condo you are probably at even money if you sell. Not bad during the "Collaspe" of condo values. lol!

9th floor shells probably sold for less than 2MB back then so you are likely ahead of the game.

17 minutes ago, newnative said:

9th floor shells probably sold for less than 2MB back then so you are likely ahead of the game.

Not mine. The owner bought 7 or 8 years ago and fitted the room with individual contractors. It turned out nice.

Also I can see the ship channel. Nice view.

On 5/14/2017 at 9:44 PM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

10mil for a condo in Pattaya. Are you nuts? For 400k Canadian I can have a luxury unit not built by Cambodian slave labor back home that will be maintained and last for at least 100 years with the added benefit of an easy, safe and secure rental.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Perhaps so, but Canada is hardly LOS, is it? People come to live in Pattaya because they DON'T want to live in countries like Canada.

That some go, IMO, a bit barking and actually pay 10 million baht to have a place just to sleep in is the point, or not. OTY.

For that much, I could live in Pattaya with hot and cold running women till I pass away ( hopefully in bed with a DDG young lady ). It just wouldn't be in a building where the neighbours make my life a misery.

16 hours ago, MartinBangkok said:

Question 2: Stay single. You will have more pussy in Thailand then your friends back home will have in a thousand years (and with a lot more attractive and younger girls).

Question 4: Only have children in Thailand if you are wealthy enough to pay for an international school and also enough money to send them to University in your home country or somewhere else in the West. Education in Thailand is worthless. 

Question 5: Live in the city. Living in the countryside means being surrounded by poor Thais which undoubtedly will put a strain on your wallet (there are a lot of mouths to feed) and the risk of numerous possibly serious complications.

Cheers

Martin

You're leaving our members still exposed to terrifying risk, man. Remember, we don't know what nasty surprises they have in store for us. Go big or go home, eh.

Now after years of reading postings from our sharpest members with the best advice, in 2014 I distilled the collective wisdom into the now-classic shrewd, street-smart TVF Poster Three Primal Laws Of Survival In Thailand:

1. Never invest in anything you aren't ready to lose;

2. Never own more than you can carry with you;

3. Keep your suitcase packed at all times.

Which is all we need. Quoting one or more of the Laws gives you ten (+10) instant points of TVF posting cred from the peanut gallery.

Edited by JSixpack

16 hours ago, MartinBangkok said:

Cheers

Martin

Retire in Thailand but make sure the authorities back home still think your main place of residence is back home. That way you will always be entitled to all the benefits of your welfare state.

Does Norway not have computers then? Does the government not know exactly how much time you spend out of the country?

Living in the countryside means being surrounded by poor Thais which undoubtedly will put a strain on your wallet (there are a lot of mouths to feed) and the risk of numerous possibly serious complications.

Your experience is different to mine. I was never asked for money, and never expected to feed anyone else, other than my wife.

The only complications I experienced were too much noise and no English language tv.

11 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

You're leaving our members still exposed to terrifying risk, man. Remember, we don't know what nasty surprises they have in store for us. Go big or go home, eh.

Now after years of reading postings from our sharpest members with the best advice, in 2014 I distilled the collective wisdom into the now-classic shrewd, street-smart TVF Poster Three Primal Laws Of Survival In Thailand:

1. Never invest in anything you aren't ready to lose;

2. Never own more than you can carry with you;

3. Keep your suitcase packed at all times.

Which is all we need. Quoting one or more of the Laws gives one ten (+10) instant points of TVF posting cred from the peanut gallery.

No argument with 1.

I would change 2 to- never buy anything that you can't carry unless prepared to leave it.

By your rule I could never have bought a microwave.

I would change 3 to- keep the stuff to put in the suitcase segregated from the stuff that can be left behind.

It's too much hassle trying to find clean underpants in a packed bag.

I'd add 4- never let your partner/ wife know how much money you actually have, and keep telling them you are really poor.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'd add 4- never let your partner/ wife know how much money you actually have, and keep telling them you are really poor.

Make that never tell anyone how much you have, regardless of their skin colour ......

If they think you have it someone here will try and separate you from it.

41 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps so, but Canada is hardly LOS, is it? People come to live in Pattaya because they DON'T want to live in countries like Canada.

That some go, IMO, a bit barking and actually pay 10 million baht to have a place just to sleep in is the point, or not. OTY.

For that much, I could live in Pattaya with hot and cold running women till I pass away ( hopefully in bed with a DDG young lady ). It just wouldn't be in a building where the neighbours make my life a misery.

Cheap women, cheap condos, cheap life.

If your preference is a condo that will look run down in a few years, just like the many "young and hot" women you can have in Pattaya, then be my guest. I come from a third world country and certainly don't plan spending my entire life here. The country is certainly amusing with all sudden playboys that like to brag about their wealth and women.

Kinda like Chinese when they travel for the first time.

12 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Cheap women, cheap condos, cheap life.

If your preference is a condo that will look run down in a few years, just like the many "young and hot" women you can have in Pattaya, then be my guest. I come from a third world country and certainly don't plan spending my entire life here. The country is certainly amusing with all sudden playboys that like to brag about their wealth and women.

Kinda like Chinese when they travel for the first time.

The brilliant thing about Thailand is that usually you can do whatever you like ( within reason ). If wanting multiple bed partners every night- OK, if wanting to go somewhere else- OK.