Soi dogs with manners? "Mystery" of the lack of poop on the streets.

I walk around a lot.

Sometimes soi dogs are a worry and I've had a few close calls.

The other day I saw a swarm of them and then I could see why.

Some good Samaritan was feeding them.

In my experience you rarely come across poop on the streets here. 

Less than a lot of places in the world. 

So is there a cleanup crew or are they mostly polite and do their doggy bizness in the weeds?

BTW, speaking of "making" and dogs, I'm still waiting for some genius to make a blockbuster dogumentary only of clips showing soi dogs crossing busy roads in Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

BTW, speaking of "making" and dogs, I'm still waiting for some genius to make a blockbuster dogumentary only of clips showing soi dogs crossing busy roads in Thailand.

They seem to show more common sense than their human counterparts. At least they don't roam across the street with a mobile stuck to their ear!

I used to watch a street dog in China who would sit waiting with pedestrians until the green 'safe to cross' light came on. Now that's one smart dog!

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

They seem to show more common sense than their human counterparts. At least they don't roam across the street with a mobile stuck to their ear!

I used to watch a street dog in China who would sit waiting with pedestrians until the green 'safe to cross' light came on. Now that's one smart dog!

Plenty come unstuck as well, no shortage of lame and limping dogs, some three legged.

I have also noted the lack of dogsh*t on the streets. My theory is that bacteria and insects make short work of poop in a tropical climate.

I don't find that credible. There are so many dogs. It figures that a fair portion would leave fresh ploppings. Maybe they eat so poorly that there isn't much output?

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't find that credible. There are so many dogs. It figures that a fair portion would leave fresh ploppings. Maybe they eat so poorly that there isn't much output?

I did say theory. Maybe dung beetles? I know for a fact no one is picking it up.

Edited by giddyup

About 50 metres down the road from my apartment is a 7-11 and the usual sellers of , soup, crepes, chicken, sausage and fruit etc .
This of course attracts 6 or 7 regular soi dogs who lay in the 7-11 doorway, you usually have to step over them to get inside !!
I walk down this road usually every day, going to the market 200 metres further down or to the 7-11 and I don't think I've ever seen any dog dirt !!
Never thought about it before but now I won't rest until I find some !!
Hopefully not with the sole of my flip flop [emoji51]

How come it seems nobody has brought up this great mystery before? What's the skinny on this with the Thai netizens?

Try posting a topic about soi dogs dying mysteriously and see what happens !!
There will be accidents, murders and even suicides claimed I'm sure !! [emoji846]

12 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Having lived in North London for years, where dog poo is everywhere, Bangkok is a delight in the absence of such poo, despite the prevalence of mutts. It is a mystery I have no explanation for.

I think that once the street food stalls are all shut down, the dogsh!t situation will change for the worse.

13 hours ago, giddyup said:

I know for a fact no one is picking it up.

I have seen Thais cleaning up soi dog mess in the streets. I suspect that more of them do this than we realise, especially shop-keepers.

1 minute ago, KittenKong said:

I have seen Thais cleaning up soi dog mess in the streets. I suspect that more of them do this than we realise, especially shop-keepers.

I saw a UFO once. I have been here 8 years and have never seen a Thai pick up dogshit.

Edited by giddyup

31 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I saw a UFO once. I have been here 8 years and have never seen a Thai pick up dogshit.

I have once, and that is only because I reached home at the same time her dog was taking a dump right outside my gate. She had to run back to her house to get a plastic bag though.

You obviously miss my Mooban where a mongrel from the next Soi likes to come around our Soi and do his business.

I suppose he was the inspiration for the saying...."Never sh - - on your own doorstep".

I thought about it for many years. There does seem to be a bit more in Pattaya lately. But still not that much.

I will always remember walking down a sidewalk on Suk in BKK and ahead of me was a dog walking. We were coming to a place where the sidewalk got very narrow. He looked back at  me and let me proceed first. Very polite.

But then an Indian tailor shill tried to grab my hand. Not polite.  55555

This is a thing I have always wondered about since I first came to Thailand, I remember seeing so much dogs around and wondered why there is so little poop.

I remember asking someone at the time and was told that very early in the morning, teams of cleaners would brush all the sidewalks, but somehow I do not think that is true, so I really would wonder why there is so little poop compared to the amount of dogs in the streets.

This is a thing I have always wondered about since I first came to Thailand, I remember seeing so much dogs around and wondered why there is so little poop.
I remember asking someone at the time and was told that very early in the morning, teams of cleaners would brush all the sidewalks, but somehow I do not think that is true, so I really would wonder why there is so little poop compared to the amount of dogs in the streets.
That's funny to me as I've been here so many years and didn't wonder about it until recently when I saw someone feeding a pack of them.

However I have always been fascinated to watch the soi dogs cross busy roads ...

you saw the news with the stupid woman on the phone also go up in the air.

Simple facts..foreigners can't own land in Thailand. They can buy land and put in Thai name. If you buy a condo you have no share in the land it's built on. Property is only a valuable asset if you own at least a share in the land, and if there's a thriving resale market, but with hundreds of new condos being built and remaining unsold that should tell anyone that it's a poor investment. Renters are not in any way aggrieved at renting, because most of us could easily afford to buy.

Simple facts..foreigners can't own land in Thailand. They can buy land and put in Thai name. If you buy a condo you have no share in the land it's built on. Property is only a valuable asset if you own at least a share in the land, and if there's a thriving resale market, but with hundreds of new condos being built and remaining unsold that should tell anyone that it's a poor investment. Renters are not in any way aggrieved at renting, because most of us could easily afford to buy.

Yes !, but does the dog know if you rented or bought your condo before he pooped outside it ?
That's the real question [emoji51]

5 minutes ago, jubkhun said:

...and this has what to do with the subject of Soi dogs pooping?

Dogs here seem to eat a lot of rice and vegetables so there is very little digested meat in their poop. So it is not as offensive as that in the pampered west and as others have mentioned it dries out and crumbles to dust rather quickly.

That's my theory.

Dogs here seem to eat a lot of rice and vegetables so there is very little digested meat in their poop. So it is not as offensive as that in the pampered west and as others have mentioned it dries out and crumbles to dust rather quickly.

That's my theory.

This seems like the most logical reason to me.

Thais cleaning it up ? Nope !!