Who's your favourite James Bond?

Roger Moore dead: 'James Bond' actor was 89 such a shame, I liked Sean Connery in the role but Roger and his suaveness hard call

Moore's relaxed style and sense of whimsy, which relied heavily on the arched eyebrow, seemed a commentary on the essential ridiculousness of the Bond films, in which the handsome British secret agent was as adept at mixing martinis, bedding beautiful women and ordering gourmet meals as he was at disposing of super-villains trying to take over the world.

"To me, the Bond situations are so ridiculous, so outrageous," he once said. "I mean, this man is supposed to be a spy and yet, everybody knows he's a spy. Every bartender in the world offers him martinis that are shaken, not stirred. What kind of serious spy is recognized everywhere he goes? It's outrageous. So you have to treat the humor outrageously as well."

While he never eclipsed Sean Connery in the public's eye as the definitive James Bond, Moore did play the role of secret agent 007 in just as many films as Connery did, and he managed to do so while "finding a joke in every situation," according to film critic Rex Reed.

The actor came to the role in 1973 after Connery tired of it.

Edited by Minnie the Minx

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was born in 61 so grew up with Sean and Roger as Bond, Roger was the one that I liked the most , couldn't really say why.
After he gave up the role I lost interest in Bond but must say I have enjoyed Daniel Craig in the role especially in his last two movies.

My favorite was Roger Moore, already when he played in The Saint , I remember watching  the show as a kid in the early 70's . So for me he was perfect for the role as agent 007 . James Bond today is not the same anymore.  

I think it's time to watch the old movies again , he will be missed. 

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

No votes for Dalton ?
Not really surprised emoji51.png

He had a lot of fierceness and intensity, but the scripts were just bad.

Sean will always be no 1.

Actually Fleming thought Bond would look more like Hoagy Carmichael, so there's that.

In general, I don't like James Bond movies for some reason (too silly?), but Sean Connery seemed like the coolest James Bond and I actually enjoyed Pierce Brosnan in the role for some reason. Those were the only ones I watched since I was a child.

l like the latest Daniel Craig but sort of more serious than Roger.

Roger was humorous in his Bond films.

Remember as a kid watching the Saint with Roger playing Simon Templar and driving one of my favourite car Volvo P1800 sports.

RIP  Roger.

I used to deliver newspapers as a kid to his small white Mansion in Danson road Bexleyheath when he was married to Dorothy Squires.

So I could say I've had a kind of contact with James Bond :smile: RIP sir.

14 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

No votes for Dalton ?
Not really surprised emoji51.png

Most DEFINITELY NOT 'Jones the Bond'! :post-4641-1156693976:

1) Sean Connery

2) Pierce Brosnan

3) Daniel Craig

Craig has a more rugged look than some but it's more 'Get Carter' than 007.  And what's with him wanting to retire and set up home with every bleedin' bird he meets.  007 just DON'T DO THAT!!! :post-4641-1156693976: