Bangkok flooding is chronic problem

webfact

170 mm of rain in one night on a concrete sealed almost flat mega-city just above and partly below(?) sea level.

It is and will always lead to temporary flooding.

I doubt that even the smart Dutch could avoid this.

And at what cost?

Seal off the sea with high walls and pump the water over so that there is not even a couple of hours of flooding?

Utopia.

Don't compare this heavy rain (locally) to one of the biggest flood disasters in history in the year 2011 where about 30 billion cubic meters of water was running down through central Thailand.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, fruitman said:

The blame-game has begun. But after the big flooding of 2013 they built extra underground canals with huge pumps, i wonder if they are working right now.

They really need foreign expertise in this, i wonder how many cars the floodings have killed so far.

You mean the floods of 2011

35 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

170 mm of rain in one night on a concrete sealed almost flat mega-city just above and partly below(?) sea level.

It is and will always lead to temporary flooding.

I doubt that even the smart Dutch could avoid this.

And at what cost?

Seal off the sea with high walls and pump the water over so that there is not even a couple of hours of flooding?

Utopia.

Don't compare this heavy rain (locally) to one of the biggest flood disasters in history in the year 2011 where about 30 billion cubic meters of water was running down through central Thailand.

Anything close to flood 2011 is a high threat,.... and I feel it in my veins this year......

3 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Won't be long before it's time to do what the Burmese did and relocate to a shiny new capital city somewhere else.

This "idea" surfaces from time to time.

Even moving just the central government and executive functions/organizations would be a huge effort for a decade or so.

But Bangkok is EVERYTHING.

Thailand is one of the most centralized countries of the world.

It's a xx million capital.

Moving?

Before they consider that they would pay every price to seal it off from the sea and install xxx MW of pumps for XX billion Dollars.

1 minute ago, MaxLee said:

Anything close to flood 2011 is a high threat,.... and I feel it in my veins this year......

Many feel like that.

Who can foresee?

It could also be the beginning of a too early and soon to end rainy season followed by another severe drought.

2 hours ago, Estrada said:

History of flooding problem - Timeline:

• Until  1767 Capital of Thailand was Ayutthaya

• 1767 – 1782 moved to Thonburi due to persistent flooding

• 1782 Capital moved from Thonburi side to Bangkok side of river due to persistent flooding

• 1785 Major Flood 4.5metre deep

• 1819 Major Flood 3.2metre deep

• 1831 Top of the City flood defence wall

• 1917 Major Floods all roads submerged 1mth

• 1942 Major Flood 1.5metre deep for 3 months

• 1975 Flood caused by depression, 4,000 m³/s flow, 1,100 MB damage

• 1980 4 days of more than 200 mm. rain, 700 MB damage

• 1982 1,093 MB damage

• 1983 Several cyclones, flooded for 3-5 months, 6,600 MB damage

• 1995 5,400 m³/s flow, recorded high water level in Chao Phraya River at +2.27m MSL, flood dike overflowed, 3,000 MB damage within Bangkok, 50,000 MB damage outside Bangkok. Total 72 Billion Baht.

• 1996 +2.14 m MSL water level, flood dike overflowed, 1,500 MB damage

• 2002 – Affecting Ayutthaya, Angthong, Singhburi, and Bangsai

• 2006 Affecting Singhburi, Angthong,  Ayutthaya, Bangsai, Tai Chen Districts: Banglen, Krathumban and Ampur Muang Samut Sakhon

• 2010 October due to overflow of Chaophraya

• 2011 Major Flood up to 2metres deep

• A Fourth Master Plan to prevent flooding was proposed after the 2011 disasterous floods, but has not been carried out consisting of:

• Flood Mitigation Plan For The Chaophraya Delta

• Super-Express Floodways

• Widening Chai Nat and Pasak Canals

•  4 large canals for Nakhon Pathom & Samut Sakhon

•  2nd Chao Phraya River Project: Pasak to Gulf Thailand

•  Floodway: Chai Nat via Suphanburi to Gulf Thailand

•  Diversion Tha Chin River as per 3rd Master Plan 

Cost: 100 Billion Baht

Anticipated Result: No more flooding on the river

Completion: Within 3 years

Flood mitigation plan should have a sub heading  'Conservation of water'.

With the advent of global warming Thailand needs to ensure that excess water is saved not drained away into e.g. The gulf of Thailand.

6 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Many feel like that.

Who can foresee?

It could also be the beginning of a too early and soon to end rainy season followed by another severe drought.

Drought,..... yeah I've heard that before,..... just government propaganda IMO, especially this year. Drought hype overshadowing this years' rainy season disaster of more to come....

2 hours ago, Estrada said:

History of flooding problem - Timeline:

• Until  1767 Capital of Thailand was Ayutthaya

• 1767 – 1782 moved to Thonburi due to persistent flooding

• 1782 Capital moved from Thonburi side to Bangkok side of river due to persistent flooding

• 1785 Major Flood 4.5metre deep

• 1819 Major Flood 3.2metre deep

• 1831 Top of the City flood defence wall

• 1917 Major Floods all roads submerged 1mth

• 1942 Major Flood 1.5metre deep for 3 months

• 1975 Flood caused by depression, 4,000 m³/s flow, 1,100 MB damage

• 1980 4 days of more than 200 mm. rain, 700 MB damage

• 1982 1,093 MB damage

• 1983 Several cyclones, flooded for 3-5 months, 6,600 MB damage

• 1995 5,400 m³/s flow, recorded high water level in Chao Phraya River at +2.27m MSL, flood dike overflowed, 3,000 MB damage within Bangkok, 50,000 MB damage outside Bangkok. Total 72 Billion Baht.

• 1996 +2.14 m MSL water level, flood dike overflowed, 1,500 MB damage

• 2002 – Affecting Ayutthaya, Angthong, Singhburi, and Bangsai

• 2006 Affecting Singhburi, Angthong,  Ayutthaya, Bangsai, Tai Chen Districts: Banglen, Krathumban and Ampur Muang Samut Sakhon

• 2010 October due to overflow of Chaophraya

• 2011 Major Flood up to 2metres deep

• A Fourth Master Plan to prevent flooding was proposed after the 2011 disasterous floods, but has not been carried out consisting of:

• Flood Mitigation Plan For The Chaophraya Delta

• Super-Express Floodways

• Widening Chai Nat and Pasak Canals

•  4 large canals for Nakhon Pathom & Samut Sakhon

•  2nd Chao Phraya River Project: Pasak to Gulf Thailand

•  Floodway: Chai Nat via Suphanburi to Gulf Thailand

•  Diversion Tha Chin River as per 3rd Master Plan 

Cost: 100 Billion Baht

Anticipated Result: No more flooding on the river

Completion: Within 3 years

Submarines are much more important than a flooded capital city - it's a matter of priorities.

I arrived in October 1985 and hence could witness the mother-of-all-floods in May 1986 where cabbies were sitting on the roof of their Toyopet Corona taxis and trying to keep dry.
Big talks, task forces and groups of experts were founded and financed; 30 years later it is still the same crap. 

Difference is that within +/- 24 hours the water disappears downtown Bangkok as is is pumped into the suburbs and stays there for a long period of time.

Get experts in, listen to what they say and do what they advise - Somchai is perfect for Somtam but traffic management and flood prevention measurements are not on the list of skills of Khon Thai! 

5 hours ago, jaiyen said:

And they still keep building and covering up the natural drainage channels. Have seen photos of them filling in waterways and building a car park on top.

The engine of growth must be kept on track. 

4 hours ago, fish monger said:

Seems Prayut has failed...again. Because he said that.............................

How long has Prayut been running Bangkok?

Bangkok is run by the BMA and NOT by the government.

If you are going to blame anybody then blame the right people.

Thailand  and Bangkok in particular has been flooding for the past forty four years that I have been around the area.and EVERY governor has said that HE would solve the problem. when they had the klongs open it was not to bad, but when they filled a bunch of the in, well  you see what has happened.  it will never change.

Bring in the Dutch.

'Cause they have lots of experience  with monsoon seasons and working within a budget that's inherent in a country with around 1/8 the GDP per capita of the Netherlands.

Or, maybe not...

1 hour ago, sabian said:

Maybe they should try using the bins instead of throwing all their rubbish everywhere and blocking all the channels might help!

Here's another thought.  I wish they'd actually put out bins.  I often carry an empty water bottle for half an hour before I come across a bin.  And then there's a good chance it will be overflowing.

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

Here's another thought.  I wish they'd actually put out bins.  I often carry an empty water bottle for half an hour before I come across a bin.  And then there's a good chance it will be overflowing.

The problem was bins were being used as bomb holders.

9 hours ago, DinoSabanovic said:

Ever thought of getting rid and banning the plastic that blocks the drains?

very hard to do, what would be a little easier, would be heavy fines, for littering, but then in times of floods, it comes floating out of every where.  

4 hours ago, laocowboy2 said:

Submarines are much more important than a flooded capital city - it's a matter of priorities.

Up periscope!!!

Thai Sub.jpgNo wonder Prayut and friends so desperately want the real deal.  lol

Edited by connda

It is a hell of a lot better than it was back in 1983. I had to wade to work every day for several months. Boats on the roads were a common sight.  Pratunam was under water for ages. Ramkamhaeng  university was closed for about 6 months.  And then there was typhoon gay in 1989. Wading through chest deep water down south on a visa trip, wary of snakes swimming by, sleeping in Haatyai bus station floor because the city was inundated. Oh yes, those were the days. :laugh:

Bring in the Dutch.

'Cause they have lots of experience  with monsoon seasons and working within a budget that's inherent in a country with around 1/8 the GDP per capita of the Netherlands.

Or, maybe not...

No but the best water engineers come from the Netherlands. If you want to start a war you ask people from your home country. If you got a water problem you ask the Dutch. Its that simple. Though i would pity the guy that has to work here. Without 100% local support it will be hard. Plus you can't solve everything as the cost would be too high.

We still have flooding in our country as some things are just not economically feasible.

12 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Won't be long before it's time to do what the Burmese did and relocate to a shiny new capital city somewhere else.

Brazil did too fifty or sixty years ago. It can be done.

The more I travel around Thailnd the more I realize that it is a pretty flat country.  Especially in the cities of Bsngkok, Chang Mai. Pattaya, Udon Thani and

many others,  This does not help when during the rainy season, there are severe storms with lots of rain in a short period of time.  When the rivers are high

as well like in 2009, Bangkok can flood in many places, and so can Chang Mai.  Good luck to all affected by this years storms.