Barrier gate controller turns up to police to face recklessness charge

rooster59

Barrier gate controller turns up to police to face recklessness charge

IMG_1807.jpg

A state employee of the Department of Rural Roads yesterday turned himself in to Bang Kholaem police station in Bangkok to face recklessness charge after a taxi driver rammed his car into a steel barrier arm of the Krungthep bridge and was seriously injured.

The employee, Amphan Choikul, controlled the vehicle barrier gate on the bridge as the bridge was opened to allow the passage of a naval ship on the Chao Phraya river.

He pleaded guilty to the charge and was freed temporarily without bail as the injured taxi driver still could not give testimony.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/barrier-gate-controller-turns-police-face-recklessness-charge/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-06-04

I don't get that. The taxi tried to race against the lowering barrier (and lost), but the guy operating it gets charged. This must be some Thai logic. Either that or the story is missing out some fairly important information.

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I don't get that. The taxi tried to race against the lowering barrier (and lost), but the guy operating it gets charged. This must be some Thai logic. Either that or the story is missing out some fairly important information.

Did you even watch the video of it?  The taxi was in a line of traffic on the bridge.  the barrier came down awfully fast and maybe, just maybe, the taxi driver sped up to try and get past it.

The video seems to show the barrier being lowered  very quickly and no warning lights showing.

Has TV and their new masters The Nation printed an apology for the sensationalist and damaging headline from their original report that proposed the taxi driver was trying to beat the barrier?  No?  Well, big surprise there.

I am no fan of Thai taxi drivers, in fact I despise them, but this was clearly a wrong headline and the fact that the Police had to chase the bridge operator (who, in typical Thai fashion, ran away), indicates that the taxi was probably not at fault and was injured by another cowardly Thai incompetent.

Man up TV / The Nation and issue an apology.