Brit orders final drink - then jumps from seventh floor of Bangkok hotel restaurant

webfact

Just now, Jip99 said:

Not sure if you are trolling or just naive.

Exactly what proportion of elderly resident expats d you expect to have $200k+ in the bank ?

If they don't they should be shot. They also need to be in perfect health before entering Thailand, no decrepit oldies allowed!:sick:

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Not sure if you are trolling or just naive.

Exactly what proportion of elderly resident expats d you expect to have $200k+ in the bank ?

Doesn't have to be in the bank. Read my 1st post, cash, shares, property with equity or other investments.

Just now, bbi1 said:

That would mean Thailand would have less peeps deciding to jump of balconies to their death and less unpaid hospital bills, which the Thai Gov are seeming they want to crack down on, which apparently they will be doing with tourists.

What is it with the peeps, are you from East LA?

Just now, giddyup said:

If they don't they should be shot. They also need to be in perfect health before entering Thailand, no decrepit oldies allowed!:sick:

:smile:........... the firing squad at Suvarnabhumi airport could be kept quite busy!

They should now make it mandatory that all westerners aka farangs over the age of 50 eitheir residing in Thailand on various visas or coming to Thailand on a tourists visa, deposit at least a refundable bt 500,000 deposit with immigration before they are allowed in as a suicidal expense so that in case these westerners commit suicide, the monies can be used to clear the mess that they create in public places and damages caused and also for psychological counselling expenses for staff or witnesses etc. This is in addition to medical insurance and costs for body repratiation. Also maybe the amounts should be increased to Bt 1 million baht as businesses or hotels, apartments involved will also have to claim for business loss as a result of these inconsiderate suicidal westerners. I have heard now that some condos will not allow old farang retirees to rent units at their projects.

Edited by Canceraid

4 minutes ago, Canceraid said:

They should now make it mandatory that all westerners aka farangs over the age of 50 eitheir residing in Thailand on various visas or coming to Thailand on a tourists visa, deposit at least a refundable bt 500,000 deposit with immigration before they are allowed in as a suicidal expense so that in case these westerners commit suicide, the monies can be used to clear the mess that they create in public places and damages caused and also for psychological counselling expenses for staff or witnesses etc. This is in addition to medical insurance and costs for body repratiation. Also maybe the amounts should be increased to Bt 1 million baht as businesses or hotels, apartments involved will also have to claim for business loss as a result of these inconsiderate suicidal westerners. I have heard now that some condos will not allow old farang retirees to rent units at their projects.

Sounds like another idea, but why only Westerners? It should apply to all nationalities. Why should Asians, Africans, Indians, Arabs, etc. be exempt?

1 minute ago, Canceraid said:

Reason I suggested only applicable to Westerners is that tell me how many other nationalities jump so often from buildings in Thailand?????

You're right, but it doesn't mean other nationalities haven't done it or won't do it in the future. Apparently Japan has quite a high suicide rate for example.

Sounds like another idea, but why only Westerners? It should apply to all nationalities. Why should Asians, Africans, Indians, Arabs, etc. be exempt?

With all of the qualifications and roadblocks you listed it is doubtful that most of the people at risk for suicide would get into the country to begin with.

2 minutes ago, Searat7 said:

With all of the qualifications and roadblocks you listed it is doubtful that most of the people at risk for suicide would get into the country to begin with.

Then it's a win-win situation for Thailand. They did say before they wanted to have more "quality" tourists, not suicidal peeps.

Suicide is perhaps the most selfish act a person can commit. OK, things are not working out. Deal with it. Be a man. Buck up. Get some meds, or some therapy. Talk to some friends. Whatever. The problem with suicide is the people left behind. Did this selfish freak consider them for a nanosecond? What about his kids? Or wife? Or friends and the rest of his family? What about the people at the restaurant? Did he ever consider the possibility that he could have taken out someone on the sidewalk with this foolishness? What a sorry fool. If you are going to do this kind of thing, you do it in privacy. Not in front of a crowd. What a fool. 

A very dear friend of mine took his life in his brothers room, a few years ago. I am still pissed at him. What a stupid thing to do. Granted, he was in a desperate situation. He had returned to the states, after 10 years in Thailand, a broke man, having to depend on his family for help. That is a sorry state. But still. You deal with it. You re-invent yourself. You get some medications (he was manic depressive). You do something. Taking your own life is such a sorry thing to do. Imagine the pain his brother and siblings had to deal with? No sympathy here.

43 minutes ago, Canceraid said:

Reason I suggested only applicable to Westerners is that tell me how many other nationalities jump so often from buildings in Thailand?????

Only because there are more westerners here on retirement extensions, doesn't mean that other nationalities don't have a similar suicide rate.

36 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Then it's a win-win situation for Thailand. They did say before they wanted to have more "quality" tourists, not suicidal peeps.

Give me a break, you make it sound like westerners only come to Thailand to suicide, like they don't have multi story buildings in the US, Australia or Europe.

On 6/6/2017 at 9:32 AM, shady86 said:

I noticed lately many foreigners especially Westerners choose to commit suicide here lately. Is it common in their own country or they find it easier to take their own lives here?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

its because its not reported in most western countries because its proven to lead to copycat suicides, unless they they yell ali akbar and kill a few others, and we can see how thats working out, endless copycats, as there are in Thailand

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

Plenty of Thai suicides in this neck of the woods.Preferred options appear to be..

1.Casting themselves from the bridge

2.Jumping off the tallest building in town

3.Hanging.

Murder/suicides (firearm).

I agree, you only have to watch Thai local news to see how many Thais take their lives, and that's only the ones that get reported.

7 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

I hope he was not an expat who went for a better life and ended up not being able to afford moving back home

Have posted TWICE about this already after reading 2 other news stories in Thai press which stated:

He was VISITING
His daughter lives and works in Bkk
He left instructions on leaving his money to loved ones

He had contemplated an exit for some time due to health

Again, as his Daughter who lives here may be looking in, could the usual ThaiVisa muppet posters kindly refrain from crass/thoughtless comments? Sincere condolences and heartfelt thoughts to his grieving daughter.

On 6/6/2017 at 8:20 AM, Jip99 said:

Very sad.

There must be a less dramatic, and messy,  way of ending one's life when health is a major factor.

give some ideas....!.......I was HIS decision, HIS way to end his life. I respect that. RIP

Just now, bbi1 said:

It sure would be a big deal for those little kids seeing a human jump off then splatter his brains out with blood all over the pavement, or the parents of those kids, or in fact anyone else whether they are Thai or foreigner, a local or tourist that didn't want to see someone killing themselves in front of their eyes.

What little kids? You are just making up stuff that didn't happen. It appears no one saw him fall, at least not reported, so try and stick with the facts, not embellish to suit your purpose.

Just now, sawadee1947 said:

give some ideas....!.......I was HIS decision, HIS way to end his life. I respect that. RIP

A jump from a 7 storey building is almost certainly guaranteed to kill you, taking pills can be hit and miss, and you may end up a vegetable in a coma. Even a bullet to the head is not always fatal. The tried and true methods are the best.

2 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Lethal injection.

Pills

Pills and alcohol

Hanging.

All those are less messy and are less likely to traumatise unrelated third parties walking down the street at the moment he chose to launch himself off the balcony.

RIP indeed, but don't ask me to respect his choice of departure.

8 minutes ago, giddyup said:

What little kids? You are just making up stuff that didn't happen. It appears no one saw him fall, at least not reported, so try and stick with the facts, not embellish to suit your purpose.

How do you know nobody saw him fall? Yeahhh rightttt, one of the big hotels directly on Sukhumvit Road around Asoke/Nana. All the pedestrians must've just disappeared off the footpaths together with all the cars/motorbikes on the road just before, during and after he was there on the ground.

Edited by bbi1

Just now, Jip99 said:

Lethal injection.

Pills

Pills and alcohol

Hanging.

All those are less messy and are less likely to traumatise unrelated third parties walking down the street at the moment he chose to launch himself off the balcony.

He may well have chosen to jump from that spot because the street was free of pedestrians. People aren't often looking for an audience to their suicide, unless it's really just a cry for help.  I imagine once his mind was made up it was the closest and most convenient method.

When I was in BKK a few years back, a German man said his friend died suddenly of a heart attack.  He had not given his Thai GF his Pin#.  He had 800,000 Baht in the Bank, and no one could touch it.  He couldn't even find his friends body!  I suppose the Bank got to keep the money.  So these stories about farang dying and leaving a large cost to Thailand also have another side.  Raising the amount to $200,000 as suggested earlier is ridiculous, Retirees should have to have medical insurance to get retirement visas is all.  

28 minutes ago, sujoop said:

Have posted TWICE about this already after reading 2 other news stories in Thai press which stated:

He was VISITING
His daughter lives and works in Bkk
He left instructions on leaving his money to loved ones

He had contemplated an exit for some time due to health

Again, as his Daughter who lives here may be looking in, could the usual ThaiVisa muppet posters kindly refrain from crass/thoughtless comments? Sincere condolences and heartfelt thoughts to his grieving daughter.

Did he recon with somebody via mobile  on the ground to spot his landing? 

Could have killed a passerby. 

5 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

How do you know nobody saw him fall? Yeahhh rightttt, one of the big hotels directly on Sukhumvit Road around Asoke/Nana. All the pedestrians must've just disappeared off the footpaths together wit all the cars/motorbikes on the road just before, during and after he was there on the ground.

There are no reports of anyone seeing him jump and the photo shows two people gawking, who may have come well after he did jump, so don't let your imagination run away with you.

Edited by giddyup

1 minute ago, Jip99 said:

Lethal injection.

Pills

Pills and alcohol

Hanging.

I don't want to extend this subject but it's not easy or almost impossible in Thailand to get lethal injections (look the drama in US) or pills which will end your life. In "our" countries you will get assistance by docs in case of fatal illness. (as cancer in the end). Or you have the choice of specialized hospices in Switzerland.... And to find someone hanging from a ceiling is not very nice......too.

1 minute ago, Dipterocarp said:

Did he recon with somebody via mobile  on the ground to spot his landing? 

Could have killed a passerby. 

How many times have you ever heard of a suicide jumper killing a passerby? Maybe if you jumped from a building during a Mardi Gras parade.

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

There are no reports of anyone seeing him jump and the photo shows two people gawking, who may have come well after he did, so don't let your imagination run away with you.

Why would there need to be reports in the media of peeps seeing him jumping or photo showing peeps gawking? By the time reporters arrived there to do their photos/vids reporting, those initial peeps that saw the incident would be long-gone with some nasty memories stuck in their minds. Just like you said, those 2 peeps "may have well come after he jumped". The crowd could be standing well back or already walked on.

Edited by bbi1