Moto GP to debut in Thailand next year

3 minutes ago, macknife said:

If you're from Buriram, who cares how he got it!

They are all at it, at least he gives something back to the local community. I don't know any others in his position that do that.

I have been there a few times. the change in the last few years is amazing. the new race track and fooball stadium look great.

Not to mention the new hotels and malls etc going up.

How true, for example every Friday evening there's a so called Castle 12 event organised on the huge parking place at the football stadium with Dragracing (where everyone can take their bike for a run) complete with the safety marshalls,  music, coyote dancers all free for the local youth and anyone who wants to have a look.

I don't care either how much money K Newin earns under the table, at least he shares it with his people.

I've met him a couple of times, shook hands and exchanged a few words, he seems very down to earth and never turns down people who want their photo taken with him.

1 hour ago, Muhendis said:

Good link Muhendis. Thanks. I had not read that before. Pretty much spot on.

I don't pretend to know anything about Khun Newin, other than what I read, but the locals love him for sure.

10 hours ago, electric said:

There are bucket loads of near empty perfectly acceptable resorts in Mueang Buriram, and within 1 hour drive of the racetrack. Korat is also less than 2 hour drive.

The big percentage of these resorts are not shown on the big booking sites like Agoda etc. They are small 20-30 room, family owned and run resorts. Locals know about them, but visitors will never find them.

It would be a very smart move for the Amphur to encourage all these resorts to register their details on a central, publically viewable online site. Advertising for the MotoGP could then display a link to this central accommodation site.

Prepare for inevitable price-gouging too. It happens every time there's a big event at the racetrack or football stadium. But hey .... Buriram will not be Robinson Crusoe in that respect.

Buriram is not the quiet little country town it once was. There's been an astonishing amount of development here in the last 5-6 years. My post #16 may also be useful reading. Cheers.

People from Surin call Buriram:

Farang-ville.

Burifarang.

5 5

18 hours ago, macknife said:

If you're from Buriram, who cares how he got it!

They are all at it, at least he gives something back to the local community. I don't know any others in his position that do that.

I have been there a few times. the change in the last few years is amazing. the new race track and fooball stadium look great.

Not to mention the new hotels and malls etc going up.

I reckon good on him and to be honest am a little jealous of his wealth. I love motorsports and to be able to spunk a wedge and have Tilke build me a F1 ready track is an impossible dream for me.

• 3 months later...