"My Mate Nate" under investigation - police want to know is he working legally and paying taxes

rooster59

"My Mate Nate" under investigation - police want to know is he working legally and paying taxes

mn.png

Image: Daily News

Pressure continued to mount on YouTube prankster and wannabe celebrity Nate Bartling yesterday as more than 120,000 people signed a petition to have him arrested.

A police report has already been filed with Huay Kwang police over animal cruelty allegations after the US man's videos of him organizing a fight between a cat and a scorpion and tying a cat to a hot air balloon.

In the scorpion video the cat was stung on the mouth.

An online lawyer has also said the case is one of animal cruelty and has advised Nate to get his bail money ready.

Now police are looking into his background and checking on his working status and whether he is paying taxes. He is known to be living in Thailand.

Three million children and youths saw his latest stunts. Some people are concerned that impressionable young people will copy him.

Thailand has strict animal cruelty laws and he could be jailed or heavily fined.

The website Change.org organized the petition.

Meanwhile the American, a former Mormon missionary, who can speak Thai, posted another video yesterday to explain matters.

While lots of people came out in support of Nate, many others commenting online said they think it is just another attempt to get attention and the only way to stop his antics are to have him prosecuted.

Those who feel he should be nailed include online lawyer Rannarong Kaewpetch who often comments on such issues on his "Thanai Khuu Jai" Facebook page.

He said that the case clearly falls into the category of animal cruelty.

He said that he suspects that Nate would have earned around 30,000 baht from the 3 million clicks on his videos and that he should get that ready for his bail that would be around 40,000 baht, said Rannarong.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-11

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Wonder what his work permit looks like

I dunno but feeding scorpions to house cats is a job a Thai can do. Looks like a problem for the immigration cops to me

I don't believe in deporting rubbish. The guy's an attention-seeking, wannabe celebrity idiot. If you deport him, he'll just continue his antics somewhere else.

What country should he be deported to? I can think of a few in the Middle East that wouldn't put up with his nonsense.

Wasn't he in the lime light half a year ago for some other idiotic "video" that he had to apologize for?  He's obviously a slow learner... 

Edited by djayz

44 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Agreed, Mr Davis.  It is only when such a video impinges on Thai consciousness that a vocal minority get all hot under the collar.  The majority of the time, soi dog suffering goes ignored.  A mass cull/sterilisation program is called for. 

Can Nate be the first in line for that?

Beginning with "MyMateNate.....

45 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Agreed, Mr Davis.  It is only when such a video impinges on Thai consciousness that a vocal minority get all hot under the collar.  The majority of the time, soi dog suffering goes ignored.  A mass cull/sterilisation program is called for. 

I don't usually like to indulge in Schadenfraude but I'll make an exception for this guy. Surely YouTube can't still be paying him, I thought they had a big crackdown after major advertisers pulled their business.

This is great publicity for him.

Bet his youtube channel get a load more clicks and as a result his monthly royalty cheque from you tube gets bumped up. 

As for whether he is working well  before you all jump on the band wagon screaming for his deportation - just remember that if you post a video that get popular on youtube and they pay you advertising royalties you too could be deported for working without a permit! Pretty messed up i'd say!

As to whether the royalties go into a Thai or US bank well that should make proving his status interesting.

Obviously the bloke is a complete tool, but that's another bag of worms altogether. 

24 minutes ago, djayz said:

I don't believe in deporting rubbish. The guy's an attention-seeking, wannabe celebrity idiot. If you deport him, he'll just continue his antics somewhere else.

What country should he be deported to? I can think of a few in the Middle East that wouldn't put up with his nonsense.

Wasn't he in the lime light half a year ago for some other idiotic "video" that he had to apologize for?  He's obviously a slow learner... 

A slow learner who ain't worked out yet which way round his hat is worn....:smile:

This is the same guy that was in the news in November (2016) over the video he made mocking Thais for their English language ability.

He was also in the news last February for another video which showed him dunking a live fish in liquid nitrogen until it was frozen solid, then letting it thaw out and flop around on the floor.

Now he's taken his animal cruelty bit a step further using scorpions and cats.

The more he gets away with, the more he is likely to do. 

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

Hard to say which is the bigger <deleted>: the <deleted> (Bartling) who made and posted the video or the company (Youtube) that allows it to remain available in order to gain advertising revenue from it.

Depends on the laws in the country you choose to reside in. Ain´t that right, dude?

59 minutes ago, djayz said:

errr... deported back to his home country...

Read the original report, he can speak Thai, he was formerly a mormon missionary posted to Thailand, they all learn to speak the language (at an advanced level) before they arrive in their designated country to do their 'missionary' work.

Seen it before in Japan, many of them on the streets, in shopping malls and railway stations etc., they all spoke Japanese language at an advanced level (my Japanese work buddy mentioned that their Japanese language was quite advanced). 

Edited by Rimmer
Profane quote in caps removed