Saddam Is Dead

Pink Mist

Work = a dictatorship that deals the harshest of punishments to keep a society running and avoiding a civil war and total collapse.

. . . while commiting genocide, murdering tens of thousands and keeping the population hostage to his kin by rule of death.

No-one needs a dictator like that and it is frightening that anyone would advocate such mayhem and murder.

thats exactly what im talking about. You see that country working/succeeding any other way? I agree. Its a fact that getting rid of one will see another rise. Wait and see my friend.

Oh yeah, and do you see me writing that I advocate such action? I think not.

Edited by soi lurker

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And with him go the secrets of previous Iraq-US links. I bet a few in the Bush administartion are breathing a sigh of relief.

Iraqi puppet courts only following orders from abroad. Still, he deserved punishment of some sort.

I wonder what punishment Bush deserves for causing the current mess .

I fear that yet another mistake has now been made and that today saw the birth of yet another martyr .

And with him go the secrets of previous Iraq-US links. I bet a few in the Bush administartion are breathing a sigh of relief.

Iraqi puppet courts only following orders from abroad. Still, he deserved punishment of some sort.

I wonder what punishment Bush deserves for causing the current mess .

I fear that yet another mistake has now been made and that today saw the birth of yet another martyr .

Oh he is definitley a martyr now.

What would be an appropriate punishment for Bush? He has killed more than Saddam.

What are the consequences?

1) Sadham is now a martyr for a large part of the Iraqui people and over, in the Islamic world

2) the trial on other affairs are definitively of no interests

3) But some politicians are very happy. Sadham cannot talk anymore about their past relationship

4) Who is going to pay this mess: civilians and "the boys" on the front line

Yes, this rush is certainly motivated by things we must not know: it would have been wiser to put him in jail for lifetime as Europe has done for some Nazis in Nuremberg. A large part of the world is no more accepting the death penalty which is barbaric. even in the case of a tyran. Civilisation has made a step backward today.

At the very least the ex-pats that live in Thailand and work on contract in Iraq will have some stories to tell. I hope they will be able to post some of their inside observations.

From a general point of view this is a significant page in world history. Looking back at the past 15 years it seems that more and more of the leaders who were out of line are finding their fate in the courts. I wonder what Thaksin is thinking at this moment.

in a sense - yes.

that's how all dictators and all politicians should and will eventually end up.

after saddam - bush and blair (they murdered some 600 000 + of iraquis alone - not forgetting afghans).

thaksin as well did kill a few thousands suspected with using or dealing drugs and some 80 muslims in the deep south just in a one day massacre

Edited by londonthai

I see by some of the comments that many on this site know little about the Middle East in general.

I am no expert, but I can tell you that "civilisation" did not make any steps further backward today than any other day...it's just that you have heard about this execution but not about the hundreds of others performed in the region throughout any given year.

Try being in Riyadh city centre on any Friday when they perform the PUBLIC executions and other punishments such as cutting off the hand of a thief etc. If you happen to be anywhere near "chop-chop square" as we used to call it, you would likley be rounded up by the local constabulary and taken to be a western eye-witness; pushed to the front of the crowd so you get to see it all in horrific and ghoulish detail.

Nothing changed today...just another criminal facing his sentence. Life goes on.

Our western perspectives have no relevance in the Arab lands, and it is a mistake to think they should have.

Why don't we all pray to Allah? Simple, we have different views and beliefs.

Are our views right? How the hel_l would anyone really know?

WE think that our beliefs and methods are correct, but so do the Arab cultures...

Trying to impose the views and beliefs of one culture on another is exactly what started this...and you can see it that way no matter what side of the fence you sit.

We tried to make the others believe in our ways, our methods, and our laws, but they refused! How dare they? They need to be taught a lesson!

Now...tell me from the above, which side I am quoting...whose reasoning is this? Impossible to tell because they are the SAME thought processes, the same questions and answers, no matter what side you are on in such a conflict.

Saddam has died for some of his crimes - maybe our concept of punishment by keeping him alive would have been better - but only in our view...we wouldn't need to feel some sort of misplaced guilt at his death...

Many otherwise "civilised" nations impose the death penalty; the Arab lands are no less civilised than those in the west who impose this penalty.

Civilisation as such has neither taken a step backward, nor in fact a step forward, it has simply continued as it does, it's sluggish progress.

They,ve just shown a short edited video of the hanging sequence up to putting the noose round his neck.

Thank you BBC for doing this. ( i wouldn,t chance watching it on any other news media channel. )

Thank god it wasn,t more graphic and it wasn,t long enough to for me to switch it off.

Facing / witnessing the truth / reality is not easy but it has to happen.

I know he was an evil BASTARD AND DESERVED IT but it made me feel guilty at even seeing this part.

I,m not made for this sort of thing but these actions must be taken on behalf of all the innocents / victims.

IRAQI LAW FOR IRAQIS AND NO FURTHER COMMENT IS APPLICABLE.

We and especially the various leaders who approve have no right to comment and it is not their business to do so.

Can you imagine their reactions if the shoe was on the other foot.

Texas comes to mind for one example where lots of human rights authorities have voiced their reservations on the death penalty.

Let the victims decide the fate of the perpetrators without outsiders doing it, one way or the other.

So difficult and sensitive is this issue, no mistake and i for one cannot gloat, even though he deserved it.

marshbags

P.S

Off topic, but, i cannot wait for Thaksins accountability to be addressed and hope his victims / families get their day in court and a say in his fate regarding the human abuses approved of under his watch.

Edited by marshbags

'The killing of the guilty party is not the way to reconstruct justice and reconcile society. On the contrary, there is a risk that it will feed a spirit of vendetta and sow new violence,'

-Vatican

i'll have to agree with this one. hated the bastard, but capital punishment... not acceptable...

Well, soilurker et al - how would you like to have been the marsh-arabs or kurds that were killed by the thousands and tens of thousands.

It's always easy to say that others need guidance and a strong hand - where do you draw the line of who needs this and who doesn't?!

Bizarre how the destruction of a people, even genocide, is seen as an acceptable alternative to chaos . . .

The only way out that I see is the partitioning along religious lines - possibly one side will be swallowed up by Iran, and then maybe not. The randomly drawn-up national boundaries by the Brits last century are the main reason why the place is in disarray.

Benevolent dictatorship? Absolutely.

Murderous dicatorship? No way.

Facing / witnessing the truth / reality is not easy but it has to happen.

I know he was an evil BASTARD AND DESERVED IT but it made me feel guilty at even seeing this part.

I,m not made for this sort of thing but these actions must be taken on behalf of all the innocents / victims.

We and especially the various leaders who approve have no right to comment and it is not their business to do so.

Texas comes to mind for one example where lots of human rights authorities have voiced their reservations on the death penalty.

Let the victims decide the fate of the perpetrators without outsiders doing it, one way or the other.

So difficult and sensitive is this issue, no mistake and i for one cannot gloat, even though he deserved it.

marshbags

P.S

Off topic, but, i cannot wait for Thaksins accountability to be addressed and hope his victims / families get their day in court and a say in his fate regarding the human abuses approved of under his watch.

So whatever another country does others can't comment.... how ridiculous... under that standard there should be no outcry about anything saddam did as he was the Iraqi gov't before, so we should not be commenting on his poor treatment of his people.

Facing / witnessing the truth / reality

marshbags

P.S

So whatever another country does others can't comment.... how ridiculous... under that standard there should be no outcry about anything saddam did as he was the Iraqi gov't before, so we should not be commenting on his poor treatment of his people.

I was referring to their decision to hang Saddam as Iraqi laws dectate.

I am not referring to genuine human concerntowards being civilised.

I was referring to people bent on making political gain ect. and this is a different objective to the one you interpet my post as being.

Texas should have nudged you in that direction i was aiming at.

Texas may have the death penalty but if others offer opinions on the wrong doings on humanity / being civilised they are ignored.

I am not having a go at the U.S. but the man in charge ought to keep his comments dignified and not want to score points on anything other than a brief statement.

marshbags

P.S.

My main concern by the way is that it has been turned into a circus.

Hang him , yes, no problem, but to video it and send it around the world you are making a farce out of it.

Edited by marshbags

Saddam Is Dead
IS he? or was he alive at all? or was that him?
BBC website with images/footage:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6218485.stm

LP

from the very same article you've mentioned above:

The hanging itself was not broadcast.

same reports today Thai "The Nation" - that footage about his execution on Iraqi TV was cut off few minutes right before the main part....

I do not support the death penalty.

Saddam was a treacherous dictator but his execution brings me no joy.

It seems two-faced that many Western regimes supported him when it suited them and then jumped on the regime change bandwagon, quietly salivating at the thought of oil.

The present Zimbabwe regime is little better now; {than Iraq's, was.}

Edited by libya 115

Attention Greer[/b]

Error...Error...

I have spent several years in the Middle East and been in Saudia Arabia several times.

It is a question of principle: it is not an excuse that because somebody is wrongdoing, you are authorised to do the same.

And it is not the puppets which are targeted but the Mastermind of this stupid decision: the American Administration. And do not tell me that the Americans are not civilised, except few texans I will not believe you

Sorry Frog I disagree

I've lived and worked in the middle east for near on 20 years and Greer's post is very accurate. I've been forced to witness some of the chops, my children when they were youngsters have been forced to the front to watch punishment being handed out.

It's the way of life out there. Changes in attitudes are happening albeit slowly and they will never match what we in the west think is correct.