Hidden gem of a golf course

vogie

Last week I discovered a little 9 hole golf course near Sattahip, there are no par 5s and the longest par 4 is 210 yards, the par 3s are of a normal length. It is very quiet and meticulously well mentained and no caddies. It costs just 100 baht to play 9 holes and 200 for 18, including free bananas. There are golf carts at 20 baht and golf buggys at a reasonable rate, but the course is compact so I'm not sure if renting one is warranted, unless old or infirmed. The clubhouse has soft drinks and beer and the toilets are immaculate. I played yesterday and I was the only one that played that day, it would be nice to see it supported more than it is, but people don't know where it is I suppose. A cheap day out. I have drawn a little map if anyone is interested in paying it a visit.

20170705_121016.jpg

10 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Great, you know the name of the course?

It does have a sign on the main road saying golf in english, not sure if it says anything else. I've taken a photo of the score card, but it is in Thai, having said that there is a telephone number on it. The lady at reception/bar is very kind and helpful, however her english is not that good should you try to call her.

20170705_174453.jpg

Just now, minikev said:

Yes I play it often as do my 2 sons. It's a very good practice course. The lady behind the counter is Kwan's sister Namthip.

I did ask her yesterday as to whether she would like me to give her a mention, she seemed very pleased and said yes.

15 minutes ago, minikev said:

Yes I play it often as do my 2 sons. It's a very good practice course. The lady behind the counter is Kwan's sister Namthip.

11 minutes ago, vogie said:

I did ask her yesterday as to whether she would like me to give her a mention, she seemed very pleased and said yes.

How would you classify the condition of the greens - can you compare to any courses around Pattaya (other than the par 3 at Asia hotel as I have not played that for many years)?

2 hours ago, vogie said:

No, this is not the army course and no beaches there.

Indeed.

The Navy golf course is not far away but a different league and I doubt that foreign civilians are welcome.

27 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Indeed.

The Navy golf course is not far away but a different league and I doubt that foreign civilians are welcome.

I could tell you but i might get another unfraction for unflaming, so i dont feel confident to add information that is useful to members.

9 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Indeed.

I've played the navy course often and have ALWAYS been made to feel welcome. Very friendly caddies, many are wives of navy personnel. Lots of farang play there.

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I might give that a try. I often go to the other 9 hole course nearby, think its called Royal Thai fleet golf course, i think it was 240 baht green fee (farang), 20 baht trolley, no caddies (yippee). Its by the lighthouse

Yes played that course many times, infact I bought a book of vouchers costing 6000 baht, there are 50 tickets in the book which works out at 120 baht a round. The booking in and out is a bit of a bind though. But Untill recently I haven't played for 2 years, so whether the book is still valid ?

But Kwan Golf is just enough for me at the moment and as another poster said it is a great practice course, I'm struggling with the heat and the humidity at the moment, and you are never too far from the clubhouse should you wish to retire.

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

I've played the navy course often and have ALWAYS been made to feel welcome. Very friendly caddies, many are wives of navy personnel. Lots of farang play there.

I agree with you, the caddies are very friendly, but not everyone wants a caddie, Thai golfers are not required to have a caddie, but farang it is compulsory. It can work out quite expensive to hire a caddie, especially when I have the wife on tow. Just tipping the caddie alone is 200 baht for 9 holes and 300 for 18, which is double when with the wife. So paying for something I don't need and especially don't want, is a bit of an issue with me, so these days I try to play the courses without caddies.

I agree with you, the caddies are very friendly, but not everyone wants a caddie, Thai golfers are not required to have a caddie, but farang it is compulsory. It can work out quite expensive to hire a caddie, especially when I have the wife on tow. Just tipping the caddie alone is 200 baht for 9 holes and 300 for 18, which is double when with the wife. So paying for something I don't need and especially don't want, is a bit of an issue with me, so these days I try to play the courses without caddies.

Wouldn't life be bliss without caddies. Now and again fun, compulsory no fun.

8 hours ago, vogie said:

I agree entirely on the subject of caddies, it's just that sometimes if you want to play a course that you like, you don't have any choice. The less people I have watching me make a complete aris of myself the better, and at 73 yoa I'm still fit enough to wheel my own trolley.