Myanmar border checkpoints closed as Thai police probe bribe claims

webfact

Myanmar border checkpoints closed as police probe bribe claims 
By The Nation

f4fda4c298f81063f9d10e83a47cc2c8.jpeg

MAE SOT: -- Pol Lt General Tawitchat Palasak, the commander of Provincial Police Region 6, closed two police checkpoints in Tak’s Mae Sot district on Wednesday following reports that some migrant workers returning home to Myanmar were allegedly being forced to pay bribes on leaving Thailand.

Tawitchat said the cancellation of Huai Ya Oo and Mae Thor checkpoints was a precaution move to express his agency’s sincerity. The probe into the allegations was ongoing, he said.

If the inquiry found that officials were involved in bribe collecting, they would face punishment. If it were found otherwise, police would explain the situation to Myanmar officials.

Tawitchat also said a third national security checkpoint would remain open out of necessity for preventing crimes and enabling intelligence gathering for possible smuggling cases involving drugs and other illegal items.

Earlier this week, Myanmar officials in Myawaddy urged their counterparts across the border in Tak to investigate the bribe allegations made by returning migrant workers at checkpoints on the Tak-Mae Sot Road on July 2. 

Stricter regulations on foreign labour have reportedly driven thousands of Myanmar workers back across the border. Many of them had been working in Thailand illegally and were let go by employers who were fearful of incurring heavy fines.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30319965

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-05

They always seem to find ways to make extra money.  Like the Burmese are already under enough stress as they have to leave... lets hit them with an exit fee.

Who teaches these thugs how to do that?    

11 minutes ago, JAG said:

I simply cannot imagine that they would shake these people down as they were leaving.

It does rather smack of ethnic cleansing doesn't it?

I think the Rohingya might take you to task as to what ethnic cleansing in Myanmar really is.

I think the Rohingya might take you to task as to what ethnic cleansing in Myanmar really is.

Oh I don't think it's comparable in any way. I think it smacks of it though.

Really pathetic situation. I know some very hardworking burmese who have been suddenly left in the lurch by their emoloyers. These are the ones who live hand to mouth, no work no food. And when going back with just 4-5000 with them, they have to pay about 2k extortion money to be able to leave. Degrading human exploitation.

6 hours ago, Nowisee said:

They always seem to find ways to make extra money.  Like the Burmese are already under enough stress as they have to leave... lets hit them with an exit fee.

The inventiveness comes from the very top. That's where the food chain leads back to. 

I went through Phu Nam Ron a couple of years ago just after Songkran paid 500 baht to some Dutch guy who was the "Guide" , Went across the border in a car met Myanmar immigation officer who took my passport and brought it back stamped. Took me about 2 hours to get back into Thailand as there were so many Myanmarese returning to work in Thailand. It was obvious the whole operation was bent as you like. 

20 hours ago, Nowisee said:

I don't think people need to be taught these things.

When my family and I were evacuated from Libya, the soldiers at the airport were confiscating mobile phones and laptops and inside they were charging $10 for a bottle of water and $20 for women to use the toilets.

Seems to come naturally to some people.

On 7/5/2017 at 4:15 PM, Nowisee said:

The upper crust elite, thats who.

14 hours ago, Lupatria said:

Their own pathetic slogan:  

“There’s nothing under the sky that Thai police cannot do”

Yeah right! At least when it comes to extort money from the poor.

All the more reason for very serious reform and let's hope in the 'new' RTP and there is serious punishment (perhaps 50% higher than civilians) and dismissal (total real dismissal) and barred for life from ever being employed in a government agency.

If the allegations of racket by Thai officials against the illegals are true ... if..

How low can a human being get, an official above all, on taking money from such miserable workers who are plainly going back home?

Shame on Thailand on this issue for not having expelled the illegals with more dignity and safety!...If the allegations turn out to be true, it is just repugnant!

Edited by observer90210

I really feel for these workers they get smashed from pillar to post. They come here illegally with the full knowledge of the government to do all the shitty jobs Thais will not. Get paid a pittance and then still have to sling local coppers who of course know they work illegally live in hovels get treated like shit, scapegoated whenever possible and now these fycks steal what's left of their money just to allow them to return home C@=+s

On extra thought, I will contradict myself here..

Take the following situation - you need a chap say to do some plumbing, landscaping or whatever...

Assuming it's with the same quality of work, one chap asks for 10'000 THB, the other asks for 5'000 THB....you suspect that the boy asking for 5000 THB is underpaying his people or himself or something similar.....nevertheless, which one would you choose?...I would not hesitate a second, I admit, I will chose the 5000 THB chap...

To some extent, we are also all part of this polemic....

3 years ago I was riding in a car across this bourder. As we crossed the driver had a long talk with the police there. They talked about how much the pribe was for children crossing with their parents with out any visa or paperwork. . So this is not a surprise to me. 

2 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

3 years ago I was riding in a car across this bourder. As we crossed the driver had a long talk with the police there. They talked about how much the pribe was for children crossing with their parents with out any visa or paperwork. . So this is not a surprise to me. 

It was 500 baht for a girl who was smuggled over the border in the farang visarun bus from bkk. Paid to the driver of the bus.