scratches on Vios? Mrs cleaned it!

Mrs decided she was going to clean the car for a change, unfortunately she used a scouring pad on the bodywork!! Managed to stop her half way through so it could have been worse, denied it was her of course but eventually said sorry for doing it. Now the paintwork has quite a lot of scratch or scuff marks that I cannot get off with a cloth. Is there a way or a service to get the marks polished off? they don't look deep but quite noticeable, it's a light silver grey finish. 

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

Cleaning the car with a scour pad .....   now that's a first ..:shock1:

Could have been worse and used an electric sander to to "buff" out the insect splats :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

First and last time I expect, not as bad as helping with the painting by kicking over the tin or re furnishing by giving our sofa to sister who had not got one.:shock1:

Mrs decided she was going to clean the car for a change, unfortunately she used a scouring pad on the bodywork

My wife did the same lucky it is an old car but still the air was blue for a while after I found out...it "mostly" polished out....

Whatever Thai's turn their hand to will be screwed up ............................. This is Thailand. They have no idea how to do anything properly. What they are very good at & I'd give them a "gold award" for three things, which are:

1. Making babies 

2. Eating

3. Spending other people's money 

34 minutes ago, Daveyh said:

Whatever Thai's turn their hand to will be screwed up ............................. This is Thailand. They have no idea how to do anything properly. What they are very good at & I'd give them a "gold award" for three things, which are:

1. Making babies 

2. Eating

3. Spending other people's money 

...and the "Moron Of The Day" award goes to.... 

As suggested ... try T-Cut on a small area and if ok continue.

Alternatively buy Meguires 205 and try that. If that won't remove then best take it to a proper detailer and they will use an orbital. I suggest that you don't try with a non-orbital 'tool'.

Scrstch removers can be very harsh and you need to be very careful.

TBH it's difficult to advise without seeing ..as said if 205 won't sort... seek professional advice

I don't know if they have it here in Thailand( maybe you can order it somewhere), in Europe we use "Commandant", it's a creme that garages uses when they sell a used car ( and it looks like new) succes!

The problem with modern day paint jobs on cars is the clear coat, which is the final layer applied at the factory layer. Certainly all metallic paint finishes have this. Once this has been removed with scratching or over zealous polishing then their isn't really much you can do. T-cut, I think would be way to harsh and will only make things worse. It was only really invented for very old cars who's paint had become dull and lifeless.

Toyota once washed my Vios as part of a routine service and managed to badly scratch a small part of the bonnet (hood), It did look like they had dropped the chamois on the ground and hadn't bothered to rinse it out. Anyway, regular polish applied gently did nothing, and  I'm reluctant to use any kind of scratch remover because I believe it will only make things worse. There maybe some kind of professional treatment that could help.  

Polishing compound is probably your only hope. Take it to a body shop and see if they can repaint may be an alternative.

Say you don't know how the scratches got there and see if insurance will cover it? 

Reminds me of a time when I used to work for Europcar in England.

A rental car came back to us and the renter said there was some damage to the car... His 4 year old son had "drawn" on every panel of the car with a stone!

So hard not to laugh and it must have been so hard for the man not to cry knowing he couldn't be mad at the kid but had to pay the massive damage excess!

T-cut or similar should do the job btw

16 minutes ago, Pinot said:

Say you don't know how the scratches got there and see if insurance will cover it? 

I personally hate insurance fraud. It puts the cost of everybody's insurance up.

I have known people who reckon that insurance is an investment scheme, and that they fully expect to make an annual profit.

Are you sure that she did not do this on purpose? Maybe she is paying you back for something . . . .?

But lets say that she just does not know about such matters. Does she know that if she does it again, it will happen in the same way again?

It is just that all the advice about the body work won't matter a damn if she does do it again!

22 hours ago, steven100 said:

Afraid not a first, construction director of a company I workrd with in UK used "Brillo" pad to remove tar spots from his new company Audi. Was the laughing stock of tge office.?

1 hour ago, Dmaxdan said:

The problem with modern day paint jobs on cars is the clear coat, which is the final layer applied at the factory layer. Certainly all metallic paint finishes have this. Once this has been removed with scratching or over zealous polishing then their isn't really much you can do. T-cut, I think would be way to harsh and will only make things worse. It was only really invented for very old cars who's paint had become dull and lifeless.

Toyota once washed my Vios as part of a routine service and managed to badly scratch a small part of the bonnet (hood), It did look like they had dropped the chamois on the ground and hadn't bothered to rinse it out. Anyway, regular polish applied gently did nothing, and  I'm reluctant to use any kind of scratch remover because I believe it will only make things worse. There maybe some kind of professional treatment that could help.  

That clear coat of lacquer if broken through will make a repolish almost impossible , it will lead to a dulling effect . As you say "TCUT" was intended for unlacquered cars with a solid paint i.e. non metallic . I have seen the professional guys work wonders with the finest grade of wet & dry and soap .  I have had a few body and paint repairs carried out here in Thailand and they make a first class job for small money .

So if I was the op and got no success from my own efforts I would be down to the pro guys as previously mentioned . He should take the repair costs out of his ladies pocket money , thats after he has thrown a few f**** into her .   

I love the way she denied it at first. A true Thai.

I had some builders in and they painted a door with glass panels and got plenty of paint on the glass. They cleaned it off with sandpaper. Total morons. I've lived in Thailand for 25 years and have never, ever, seen any common sense. How can a country develop into one where something so vital is totally absent?

metallic paint is in 2 coats, the bottom  or 1st coat is the colour coat the second or top coat is clear and provides the shine it is a 2 part paint that sets very hard when dry and is fairly resistant to scratching. if tcut or any other make of cutting compound cant remove the scratched surface without going through to the colour coat it may be possible to just recoat the top layer. what did she use to rub it was it green plastic scouring pad ,ok or metal silver coloured pad ,not ok. If Tcut works but takes to long.  a light rub rub first with 800 or 1200 grade wet and dry paper if you can find it together with a bucket of water with a good squeezes of washing up liquid gently rub it wet 1200 is best folowed by compound, hope this helps, derek

You might not believe this, but there is a company that now makes self healing coatings from nano technology. They even have an authorised applicator in Bangkok. Just search on Facebook for "Feynlab Thailand" and check out the videos. Amazing stuff.

Edited by Brownfox