Video: Now you see it, now you don't - how tourist lost his phone in Pattaya

webfact

Video: Now you see it, now you don't - how tourist lost his phone in Pattaya

1pm.jpg

Picture: TNews

PATTAYA: -- A video at a beer bar in Pattaya shows how an Omani tourist had his phone stolen as he was enjoying a drink.

A young fake brand watch seller comes in with his wares and uses the merchandise as cover as he slips his hand under to steal the phone.

It was all caught on the bar CCTV.

Stolen was a 10,000 baht value Samsung smartphone.

The matter was reported to police but the thief got away without a trace.

Tnews reported that theft by watch sellers was a perennial problem. There had also been physical assault cases both against tourists for refusing buy and bar owners for refusing to let them in, said the news media.

Source: TNews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-17

Now while the Omani guy is dumb for leaving his phone on the bar, rather than keeping it in his pocket, why is the thief able to wander about selling fake goods? Every bar in town gets them every night. If the cops arrested them and seized the fake gear, the practice would soon stop, we could have a beer without being continuously hassled and the opportunities for theft like this would cease at the same time. Cops obviously being paid to turn a blind eye.

6 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

wish i hadnt read that; really ? 'you dont buy my fake crap, so i beat you up' ?

Usually, after about 18 vendors have pestered the living shit out of someone, they start telling them to F*^k off.

I've wanted to do it more than once, but usually I just move on to someplace else.

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Now while the Omani guy is dumb for leaving his phone on the bar, rather than keeping it in his pocket, why is the thief able to wander about selling fake goods? Every bar in town gets them every night. If the cops arrested them and seized the fake gear, the practice would soon stop, we could have a beer without being continuously hassled and the opportunities for theft like this would cease at the same time. Cops obviously being paid to turn a blind eye.

Just like how MBK is full of fakes and all elsewhere in Thailand. These businesses and retailers keeps the cops on the take. Why break your own rice bowl?

What had me wondering was why the guy's phone was so far to the left of him, as though it belonged to someone in the seat next to him (where there was an empty "bin cup") and how the 2 other guys were literally looking right at the guy when the hawker covers the phone and turns away.

Even the staff at that bar should have seen that as they are usually pretty eagle-eyed when it comes to anything happening on/around the bar. I mean there is one girl there directly in front of where the phone was and that guy was able to lift it and walk away and she didn't notice a thing ?

52 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

What had me wondering was why the guy's phone was so far to the left of him, as though it belonged to someone in the seat next to him (where there was an empty "bin cup") and how the 2 other guys were literally looking right at the guy when the hawker covers the phone and turns away.

Even the staff at that bar should have seen that as they are usually pretty eagle-eyed when it comes to anything happening on/around the bar. I mean there is one girl there directly in front of where the phone was and that guy was able to lift it and walk away and she didn't notice a thing ?

Her Brother.....maybe......:whistling:

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Tnews reported that theft by watch sellers was a perennial problem. There had also been physical assault cases both against tourists for refusing buy and bar owners for refusing to let them in, said

That seller couldn't punch his way out of a wet paper bag....

9 hours ago, colinneil said:

Video of the thief, shows his face clearly.

Police could find him easily if they wanted, but only if the tourist pays them to find him.

Correct. I have a friend whose house was broken into, and they found the keys to his SUV and stole that along with his other stuff. He was in a so-called secure complex with a guard at the gate, who lo and behold vanished on the same day as the robbery. The police refused to do anything at all unless he paid them 100,000 baht. He's now left the country as he's had enough of Thainess.

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

All they have to do is ask for his work permit and then haul him off.

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Correct. I have a friend whose house was broken into, and they found the keys to his SUV and stole that along with his other stuff. He was in a so-called secure complex with a guard at the gate, who lo and behold vanished on the same day as the robbery. The police refused to do anything at all unless he paid them 100,000 baht. He's now left the country as he's had enough of Thainess.

Don't you just love the "Security Guards"? Dressed to the nines like a commando...wearing shower shoes.

Amazing how this guy put his phone on the desk so far away from him, and not even bother to tend to it. He gives people like this an opportunity, the phone was just waiting for someone to pick it up. 

Sorry, this one anyone could see coming.

I always keep my phone on the bar, Dumb maybe , but if the little bastard try's to sell me a watch I'll push my old iPhone 5 even closer to him , then when it gets gobbled up , I will break both his wrists . Come to my bar useless peace of trash . Of course the coppers do nothing , they be getting a cut somewhere . They could find him in 5 minutes . Maybe the 20 coppers on 2nd and south could leave there posts for 5 minutes and get him . No way, that's the number 1 ATM in Pattaya . 555

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect