egg poacher wanted

black fox

Why not just poach them yourself. Simmering water that has some vinegar in it. Stir rapidly an plonk your egg it the center whilst it still rotating. Two Minutes later you'll have a poached egg. Put in cold water if you don't want to eat strait away. Reheat in same water for 30 seconds when needed.  

I was back in the UK a few months ago and was surprised to see my relatives there all use special plastic bags for poaching eggs. This sort of thing:

490.png

The trouble is that the bags are single-use and one costs more than an egg does here in Thailand, so they seem a bit wasteful to me.

I use the turquoise measuring scoops that come in the big bags of washing powder. After washing them and lightly greasing crack the egg into them and place in a pan of boiling water for 5 mins. Could also use the rice measuring cups. Have tried the microwave devices and they all give poorly cooked rubbery eggs unless you add water to them which rather defeats the purpose unless you don't have a cook top available.

4 hours ago, vogie said:

These are for sale on Lazada, 130 baht for 4. Have just ordered a set.

I went to Lazada to have a look , if I order they are shipped from abroad ? Could take months then .   

19 minutes ago, balo said:

I went to Lazada to have a look , if I order they are shipped from abroad ? Could take months then .   

It never takes months on Lazada, even when shipped from abroad, in fact it shows the ultimate date of delivery before you even place the order.

5 hours ago, balo said:

Shipping from abroad is normally quite quick, my order should arrive between the 28th July to the 1st of Aug, 10 days is not too bad. But these are only estimates, I have had goods ordered from abroad arrive earlier than projected dates.

7 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

null

No its not

The eggs taste of vinegar,  nasty business.

use these, they  works fine.,   No Bs vinegar taste.

https://www.lazada.co.th/4pcsset-silicone-perfect-poached-mold-egg-poacher-cooker-intl-26999926.html?ff=1

Sorry to contradict but they don't taste of vinegar. Might do if you put loads of malt vinegar in. Just use wine vinegar 1 tea spoon per 1 pint of water. Sorted.

You will still have to wash out the pan, but saves on the Pan + all the cup type things that have had oil in them. You will also end up with proper poached eggs.

Not those half moon things pretending to be poached eggs. Just try making eggs benedict and watch the sauce run off.

Then again if you need to have a cup thing to cook eggs your not going to make eggs Benedict.

Little tip if you do decide to attempt E/B try substituting the bacon with smoked salmon. Delish.

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

Little tip if you do decide to attempt E/B try substituting the bacon with smoked salmon. Delish.

Absolutely! I 'discovered' this option at the Mia resort in Nha Trang. Served with a bit of spinach 'a la Florentine' but I recall they gave it some Nordic name.

I never seen the need for all these machines and plastic bags!!  I just crack the egg into pan of  shallow hot water, put the lid on and wait 3 minutes and it poaches very nicely.  Then scoop it out with one of the spoons that have draining holes in them.  The pan is non stick.. so very easy to clean out too.  

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

Sorry to contradict but they don't taste of vinegar. Might do if you put loads of malt vinegar in. Just use wine vinegar 1 tea spoon per 1 pint of water. Sorted.

You will still have to wash out the pan, but saves on the Pan + all the cup type things that have had oil in them. You will also end up with proper poached eggs.

Not those half moon things pretending to be poached eggs. Just try making eggs benedict and watch the sauce run off.

Then again if you need to have a cup thing to cook eggs your not going to make eggs Benedict.

no oil required

These simple micro-wave type egg poachers have been around for years. Bought one recently at Index for 60 baht.

Ninety seconds at half power, see how they look, and then another 10-40 secs depending on the size of the eggs.

I've also seen them at Central and I think Tesco.

Microwave Egg Poacher.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived