The story of the lowly but polite security guard and the obnoxious Benz driver who swore at him

webfact

The story of the lowly but polite security guard and the obnoxious Benz driver who swore at him

CiHZjUdJ5HPNXJ92GO1QYg8PUiT8tlpi80.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

BANGKOK: -- A story that epitomizes the class structure of Thailand is doing the rounds of social media and garnering a huge amount of comment.

The latest "drama" (as the Thai media refers to such stories) concerns a security guard in Nonthaburi who was subjected to verbal abuse from a rich person in a Mercedes Benz.

The 28 year old son of the guard came across a diary entry in a notebook made by his hard working and polite dad.

screenshot_5257.jpg

It said:

"Security guards don't get an ounce of respect. People look down on us and treat us as nothing more than dogs guarding a house"

The son called Phudit asked his dad what it was all about and his father gave him an explanation that led to a post on Facebook that has received much comment from the public.

His father had approached a Benz driver who was looking for a parking spot. He informed the driver politely that all the spaces were taken but if he would like to go round the other side of the building there was more security there and more spaces. The words were accompanied by lots of "than" and "Khrap" that indicated the high level of politeness use by his dad.

But the Benz driver just drove around looking for a space without taking his advice then rolled down the window and hurled a torrent of abuse at the guard. He demanded a space be found for him as he was very important.

He called the guard a @@@@ing water monitor, one of the worst insults in the Thai language.

A supervisor came out and tried to calm the Benz driver and eventually rolled a car out of the way and found the rude driver a spot to park.

The son said he posted the story to see what people thought. His dad is an unassuming man who didn't want his name in the post and whodidn't want to make an issue out of it at all.

But his feelings in the diary entry were there for all to see.

Netizens predictably sided with the guard and slammed the hi-so for abusing him. many people shared the story across social media.

Thai Rath quoted an expert in defamation saying that the guard would be able to report the matter to police if he so wished.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-08-03

Most Thai won't even wake-up a guard when he is asleep while on duty. I see it happening almost daily.

Our place has good and bad security guards, the good ones sometimes get surprise presents from us.

Benz-drivers mostly have an attitude but securityguards like to please them to get 20 baht tip. One day a guard was dragging my motobike around untill i stopped him. He was moving it to a bad spot so an old chinese lady could park her Benz on my spot and he would get his 20 baht.

He said he was allowed to drag my bike around since he was a guard. My bike was properly parked in a tiny corner but he moved it many meters from it's spot.

Those old chinese/thai ladies have a superarrogant and selfish nature though, also in shops they act like it all belongs to them.

7 minutes ago, webfact said:

A supervisor came out and tried to calm the Benz driver and eventually rolled a car out of the way and found the rude driver a spot to park.

So the driver will just do it again next time, if the supervisor had knocked his teeth out with a couple of elbows to the face, the driver might think twice about it next time.

9 minutes ago, webfact said:

That is only going to teach him one lesson.........................Wow, I really am important.

Arrogant <deleted> !

15 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

Glad it wasn't a BMW driver. They are the worst. :sleep:

The driver of a big BMW in our compound has his house under construction but it seems they will never finish it. The house is half finished now but it seems they'll never finish it.

I'm waiting for the day he sells that BMW and use the money to finish the house. It's been like this for 3 years now....what a tosser!

2 hours ago, Thian said:

Most Thai won't even wake-up a guard when he is asleep while on duty. I see it happening almost daily.

Our place has good and bad security guards, the good ones sometimes get surprise presents from us.

Benz-drivers mostly have an attitude but securityguards like to please them to get 20 baht tip. One day a guard was dragging my motobike around untill i stopped him. He was moving it to a bad spot so an old chinese lady could park her Benz on my spot and he would get his 20 baht.

He said he was allowed to drag my bike around since he was a guard. My bike was properly parked in a tiny corner but he moved it many meters from it's spot.

Those old chinese/thai ladies have a superarrogant and selfish nature though, also in shops they act like it all belongs to them.

Yes. It may seem bitter to some who have not been in Thailand long enough, but I have and I have seen this too, many times. 

The Benz driver will now be demanding (do you know who i am ),that the

security guard get the sack,for demeaning him on social media and making

him look like an @rsehole,which he is.

regards worgeordie

2 hours ago, webfact said:

"Security guards don't get an ounce of respect. People look down on us and treat us as nothing more than dogs guarding a house"

True, but it isn't just security guards, so many posts on TV showing HI SOs forcing people to wai their feet or their cars, slapping them. I'll humiliate you because I can attitude, these are not decent people, perhaps not even people.

Edited by ramrod711
spelling

2 hours ago, Thian said:

I like the word above you used to sum them up: "super-arrogant"

Edited by bluesofa

3 hours ago, webfact said:

A story that epitomizes the class structure of Thailand is doing the rounds of social media and garnering a huge amount of comment.

So is the writer of this story saying there is a problem within in the structure of Thai culture? Is he looking for people to be enlightened so maybe there can be a reform.

It's now 2017. Are more and more people realising (a lot coming from social media) that no one actually likes this kind of behaviour bar the people who do it? Social media has opened a space where people can speak out. It's amazing what happens when you let people speak freely and debate. It's as if the majority of people don't like being treated like they're at the bottom. Who'd have thunk it? I guess Thais are human like farangs after all. 

Saying "it's my culture" or "well, it's what I believe" is never an excuse to be a c***. 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Rath quoted an expert in defamation saying that the guard would be able to report the matter to police if he so wished.

a "defamation expert", yup that's a well needed profession

another one is  a "roadmap drawer"

I've long believed that one of the true measures of a man is how he treats the 'little people' , the cleaners, security guards, shop assistants, transport staff, etc. One would have to say...through observation and stories such as this...that Thai hiso come up way short. Karma is on the way though.

Edited by Prbkk

31 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

I've long believed that one of the true measures of a man is how he treats the 'little people' , the cleaners, security guards, shop assistants, transport staff, etc. One would have to say...through observation and stories such as this...that Thai hiso come up way short. Karma is on the way though.

"If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
 Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,..."

-Rudyard Kipling, If--

7 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Glad it wasn't a BMW driver. They are the worst. :sleep:

Not all myself and my wife drive BMW and neither of us would be impolite to a security guard. They are only doing their job and should be respected as an equal

Edited by gandalf12

3 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

a "defamation expert", yup that's a well needed profession

another one is  a "roadmap drawer"

Yeap, and then the accused can counter sue. Whoever has the most money was the one who was in the right. 

7 hours ago, Nord X said:

So the driver will just do it again next time, if the supervisor had knocked his teeth out with a couple of elbows to the face, the driver might think twice about it next time.

A great thought without thinking it through.

IF the supervisor had done that then he would have been fired on the spot, arrested and jailed (would you visit him?) and perhaps worse depending on how vindictive the Benz driver wanted to be and if he had a weapon in his car.

One of my former Thai undergraduate students has gone to do graduate studies at a university in Boston.  A couple of months ago, I saw a post from him ranting to his friends about how he had been treated at the entrance to a Boston night spot. It appears the guards/bouncers didn't take any stick from my former pupil and he was mad as hell. He went on a one page rant about how his clothes cost more than the guard would make in year.  Some things about the US are quite nice, and seeing this snobby young man catch a dose of reality was wonderful. Welcome to the US, where the guards are just waiting for stuck up little would be John Jacob Astor's to pull something like this Benz driver did to the humble Thai guard. And get ready for a hole or two on the bottom of all those fancy clothes he's wearing.